Star Trek Discovery

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by Leisher »

Jason Isaacs is the Captain.

Avoid the article if you're a Walking Dead viewer as there might be a spoiler in there. Someone currently alive on the show is in the cast, which might indicate their future on TWD.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by Leisher »

Here's the first trailer:

You know what's a bad idea?

A Star Trek franchise not involving any of the famous characters, set prior to Kirk, and then telling folks to pay to watch it.

I know for a fact I won't be paying for this series unless I hear it's better than TWD, R&M, and GoT combined. And that has to be from a non-Trekkie.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by GORDON »

I didn't see enough white male characters in order to relate.

White males aren't their target demographic though so I am sure that will be fine.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: White males aren't their target demographic though so I am sure that will be fine.
Right?

You just made me realize that the first billed star of the show, Jason Isaacs (a white guy) who plays the captain, is completely missing from that trailer. WTF?
GORDON
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by GORDON »

My prediction is that unless it kicks ass out of the gate, it will be as successful as SJW comics.
Leisher
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by Leisher »

It doesn't have a title yet, but CBS is working on a Khan prequel.

This will also air on their pay service.

Fuck them.

Interesting fact time: Did you know Chekov never appeared in Space Seed? When Walter Koenig read the script for ST II, he knew it. However, he knew telling someone would cost him screen time, thus he kept his mouth shut.
GORDON
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by GORDON »

Yep, knew it.
Vince

Star Trek Discovery

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: Interesting fact time: Did you know Chekov never appeared in Space Seed? When Walter Koenig read the script for ST II, he knew it. However, he knew telling someone would cost him screen time, thus he kept his mouth shut.
Funny!
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
thibodeaux

Star Trek Discovery

Post by thibodeaux »

http://screenrant.com/star-trek-discovery-god/
Star Trek: Discovery‘s producers apparently feel that the word “God” has no place on the bridge of a Federation starship. Series star Jason Isaacs was admonished for ad-libbing a line indirectly invoking a deity, which the show’s producers viewed as fundamentally against Gene Roddenberry’s utopian vision of the future.
Thankfully, DC is a little more open-minded:
http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/ ... nse-trump/
The creators of the superhero television series DC’s Legends of Tomorrow unveiled details Wednesday about a new Muslim, computer-hacking hero character ahead of the show’s third season, with the character’s addition coming as a direct response to Donald Trump’s election as president.
Leisher
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by Leisher »

Early reviews are mixed.

I've seen reviews elsewhere too, and I'm getting the impression that folks politically left are far more excited about the first episodes than Star Trek fans.

Whatever that means.
GORDON
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by GORDON »

Just watched the first one. So far unimpressed, and I don't see why lefties would love it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: I don't see why lefties would love it.
I think it's the female captain and female Vulcan that have them all excited.

It's interesting to me that Jason Isaacs was cast as the captain, yet I've not heard anything about him in any of the marketing or reviews.
GORDON
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by GORDON »

I guess that makes me enlightened since I didn't think it was anything out-of-the-ordinary to have the ladies in charge.
Leisher
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: I guess that makes me enlightened since I didn't think it was anything out-of-the-ordinary to have the ladies in charge.
No, your straight white male privilege made you incapable of seeing how you were oppressing women.
GORDON
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by GORDON »

They want to destroy their good thing, too.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/ ... -premiere/
Leisher
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by Leisher »

I think this is a prime example of how out of touch Hollywood is with the real world.

In their minds, this was probably brilliant marketing because "EVERYONE" hates Trump and supports this kneeling thing.
GORDON
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by GORDON »

Ok, all caught up on both episodes.

So far it is dark and grim. Screams "star trek," right?
Leisher
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by Leisher »

Lots of hate for this show online.

Main complaints:
1. CBS's greed
2. Doesn't feel like Star Trek
3. Taking the knee

Even the folks who liked the first episode are telling CBS to shove their pay model up their ass.
GORDON
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by GORDON »

I actually liked the 3rd episode a little bit, though the tone is still light years away from classic Trek. It's getting a little less dark, but gaining an ominous tone.
Leisher
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by Leisher »

Are you actually paying CBS or Plexing this show?