Star Trek Discovery

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
GORDON
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by GORDON »

i DO NOT HAVE THE cbs STREAMING SERVICE.

stupid caps lock
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: i DO NOT HAVE THE cbs STREAMING SERVICE.
Ok cool. I can't back anyone who actually pays to watch this show.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by GORDON »

Not sure if it's getting better, or if I am getting used to the darker tone.
GORDON
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by GORDON »

CBS on demand service costs $6.

CBS on demand with no commercials costs $10. But it still has commercials, except they call them "promotional interruptions."
Leisher
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Not sure if it's getting better, or if I am getting used to the darker tone.
According to my Facebook feed "The reviews are in and they're out of this world."
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by GORDON »

This is closer to Battlestar in tone, than classic Trek.
GORDON
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by GORDON »

Oh also they said Fuck.

Twice.
GORDON
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by GORDON »

Season 2 ordered.
\
Not surprising... I heard a while back that the entire cost of production was recovered when Netflix (everywhere but in the U.S., they want us to buy CBS Access) paid for the rights to broadcast it.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... ss-1051003
GORDON
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by GORDON »

Show's getting better.

And I've been wanting to mention the opening credits... I think they are the best of any Trek series. The quality and tone reminds me the openings for most HBO serieses, specifically Westworld.
GORDON
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by GORDON »

Watched the recentest episode last night, titled "Wondrous Magic something something."

This show is becoming solid, yet is still darker Trek than what we're used to. At first the episode was almost a copy of a memorable TNG episode, but then the bodies started piling up.

I don't know why the first 4 episodes were so dry and milquetoast. And anyone who says it was solid out of the gate can be ignored as a biased, culty fanboy/girl. But it's becoming good.
Leisher
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by Leisher »

It's darker because they're trying to copy GoT except set in Star Trek's universe.

I have so little interest in this show because of CBS' attempt to build a base of consumers for their monthly service, but also for how the show was marketed for SJWs and the taking a knee bullshit.
GORDON
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by GORDON »

I don't really see any SJW parallels, but then I'm not looking for them. If you want it bad enough, you can see anything in anything.
Leisher
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: If you want it bad enough, you can see anything in anything.
Yeah, that's me. Always hunting for those SJW parallels... I wasn't looking for it, but you couldn't miss it. In fact, do you remember the first trailer?

Remember what I said about that?
I didn't see enough white male characters in order to relate.

White males aren't their target demographic though so I am sure that will be fine.
Oh wait! You said that...

I did say:
My prediction is that unless it kicks ass out of the gate, it will be as successful as SJW comics.
Oh shit, my bad! That was you again... :D

I said:
You just made me realize that the first billed star of the show, Jason Isaacs (a white guy) who plays the captain, is completely missing from that trailer. WTF?
All the early reviews focused on the two female minorities and never once mentioned the white guy captain. Interesting because the captain is always central to a Star Trek show. In fact, many reviews said one of the women was the captain.

Oh, but Isaacs does get mentioned negatively, of course.

Here's a quote about the show Thib quoted:
Star Trek: Discovery‘s producers apparently feel that the word “God” has no place on the bridge of a Federation starship. Series star Jason Isaacs was admonished for ad-libbing a line indirectly invoking a deity, which the show’s producers viewed as fundamentally against Gene Roddenberry’s utopian vision of the future.
Then you posted this:
They want to destroy their good thing, too.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/ ... -premiere/
That looks like you don't like their SJW move, but I guess I read that wrong.

Alright, sorry I'm having a bit of fun, but your response to my post came off as a bit superior. Just wanted to prove where my observation came from. I am not talking about the show itself because I haven't seen it. Like you I don't subscribe to CBS' bullshit service, and I'm not pirating it. (Yet. We'll see.)
GORDON
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by GORDON »

holy shit dude, i wasn't talking about you. put the nukes away.
Leisher
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by Leisher »

I said I was just having a bit of fun, so relax!
GORDON
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by GORDON »

Yeah but when you put a bunch of effort into a post to call me out, it looks like effort.

I didn't see any white guys in the trailers. There are white guys in the show now, and one is even straight. He is kind of evil, though.

Frankly, I don't think anyone cares about homosexual relationships on TV any more.
Leisher
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Yeah but when you put a bunch of effort into a post to call me out, it looks like effort.
But to be fair, go read your statement again. Can you see how it comes off?

I KNOW you didn't mean it that way, which is why I was just having a bit of fun. Any time I stick a smiley face in anything, know that my tongue is firmly in my cheek.

(Plus, I had some time to kill.)
GORDON wrote: I didn't see any white guys in the trailers. There are white guys in the show now, and one is even straight. He is kind of evil, though.

Frankly, I don't think anyone cares about homosexual relationships on TV any more.
I honestly don't care about any of that stuff. Never have, never will. UNTIL you try to tell me how much better something is because whitey or men isn't in it or how much better ________ is than whitey or men. That's where I get irritated.

A lot of the reviews I read leading up to the show screamed that shit, and it immediately made me hate the show. (On top of my disgust for "the elderly network" trying to use a popular Sci-Fi show to drum up business for their new subscription channel.) The taking a knee bullshit didn't help.

But yeah, I think Hollywood is pretty delusional when it comes to their beliefs about America's prejudices. Go back to the "changing the race of the characters in superheroes movies" debate. Yes, there were racists, but Hollywood had a REALLY hard time understanding that it was mainly about people not wanting their memories changed just for diversity's sake. Even Catt had trouble with that during the Fantastic Four reboot casting and peeps were pissed about Johnny Storm being black. Remember I kept talking about how it's not racism, and even he disagreed with me. That's when the news came out that The Thing's eyes would be green not blue, and those same "racists" went ballistic proving my point about it being about changing an existing property, NOT racism.
GORDON
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by GORDON »

The show is becoming good... and I don't see racism/sexism/whatever everywhere, I don't try to see it, so I am able to enjoy it even if it IS trying to foist baggage on me.

Maybe it's there. Fuck it, don't care. Not like I'm paying for it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: The show is becoming good... and I don't see racism/sexism/whatever everywhere, I don't try to see it, so I am able to enjoy it even if it IS trying to foist baggage on me.
No I understand that. I haven't watch a single episode because of all the SJW stuff around the show, not necessarily in it. Although, mainly it's the subscription service. Fuck that shit.
GORDON
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by GORDON »

Do Plex.