Star Trek Discovery

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
GORDON
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by GORDON »

Racist.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by GORDON »

Ok, so, here's the story:

Season 1 started in 2017, and I wtched the first 10 episodes as they aired.

Cast:
Asian woman: starship captain
Black woman: first officer
Alien: bridge officer
Robot: bridge officer
Gay white guy: something like the engineer of the ship
Gay black guy: chief medical officer and engineers boyfriend
Fat white girl: almost wesley crusher but both simultaneously mousy, and a nervous talker, and finishes half-marathons faster than all the fit, thin people.... because of course she does.
White guy: a villain? who knows. Acts like it.

Crew puts on raves after hours and it seems like they take space MDMA and they all make out together.

They checked all the "anything but a straight white guy" boxes, and forgot to make any of these characters charismatic. The alien, Doug Jones, does a lot of heavy lifting among the cast.

So, after season 10, there was a mid-season break, and I had no interest in continuing to watch. A new Star Trek show and they lost my interest.

But now I'm watching more tv, and i started back up. Second half of season 1 was better, and then they seemed to have a realization before season 2 and they brought in a white guy who is actually charismatic and a good leader and has a sense of humor, and you enjoy watchin him. SO... good for them. They figured out they'd better make you like the characters aside from their skin color and sexual orientation, or people wouldn't bother with the show.

Part way through S2, and enjoying it, finally.
GORDON
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by GORDON »

Finished season 2. It had an arc that was the best I've seen since S5 Doctor Who.

I do have a problem with them forgetting to use the technology they have, to solve problems. They already had the solution to the problem they were trying to solve the last half of the entire season.... but they didn't use it "because we need the show to happen."

They did a ton of work to get everyone and everything in place for The Original Series's first episode, with Kirk. They did a lot of work fixing the goofy (A new Trek for a new generation!) design decisions that no one liked. Some of the best battle scenes since Battlestar Galactica. I now officially recommend Trek fans watch this show.
Enterprise_and_Discovery_Battle_Section_31.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GORDON
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by GORDON »

Hey, also, there exists a bunch of "Short Treks." These are 7-15 minute long little episodes, kinda like Love, Death, Trek. Most are pretty good, a couple brilliant. Don't skip them.
GORDON
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by GORDON »

Finished S3, S4 begins to air in 2021.

It's a good show. I like that they fixed everything that needed to lead up to Captain Kirk on the Enterprise, because the design changes they made were dumb. But I feel they adequately fixed everything so this will seamlessly lead in to the Original Series show.

Regarding Short Treks, here's an unexplained thing:

"Calypso," Disco is sitting in some nebula, alone, for a thousand years, "waiting for the crew to return." What did I miss? That wasn't part of the show.

Anyway, one of the highlights of the show, to me, was the inclusion of
Captian Pike and some of the Enterprise crew.
Apparently I'm not alone, and that crew is getting their own show soon called "Strange New Worlds." With that cast, it absolutely can't fail.

Looking forward to it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by Leisher »

Are these Plexed?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by GORDON »

Yes
GORDON
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery

Post by GORDON »

Ok, S4 is done.

Overall.... ok story arc this season.

Major problems: This is Star Trek: Woke, so if that will bug you, give it a wide berth. In S4 there were only 2 white males in the whole show. The good one was super gay. The second one was misguided, and kinda evil, but also gay. Ships Doctor of Color, gay. One of the brilliant engineers, queer and gay. Everyone's gay.

Another problem: the "stuff blows up on the bridge when someone shoots them" is going a little overboard. It's been a meme joke for a long time, "Hey, ever hear of fuses?" but the production designers on this show either don't get the joke, or they're leaning in ironically. They actually installed gas-flame emitters on the bridge, the kind you see at a disney water show. So they'll be doing combat ops and in the background are perfectly choreographed, simultaneous flame shows coming out of the fucking walls. Fuck. I really hate it when they let millennials make design decisions. They always end up shit.

Another major problem: This show could also be called, Star Trek: Let's Talk about our Feelings. They stop ALL THE TIME to have sincere, heartfelt moments with other characters. Usually during an emergency. There was an episode where the ship was stuck in a venus flytrap, and they were racing the clock to get out before they died. They literally had 2 minutes left before disaster. Everyone was going as fast as they could. Except for the literally FIVE TIMES we had heartfelt moments between two characters during all the hectic stuff, and exactly two of those conversations started with "When I was a child...." "When I was a child" was uttered at least 3 times during this season, that I noticed. They need to get rid of that particular writer.

And lastly, this could also be called Star Trek: Black Woman Captain. I'd wager 75% of the dialogue is hers. There's no inherent problem with her.... she is an ok character. Doing her best. Doesn't seem to rattle. She even had a great moment in the last episode when she was dealing with great personal tragedy, and had 3 seconds of breakdown, and then pulled her shit together to lead and grieve later. That was good. But the problem is that as of the end of season 4, I can't tell you the names or races of over half the regular bridge crew. They're getting no time, and no character development, because this is the Black Woman Captain show.

So. Yeah. As of S4 this show takes place outside of the general star trek timelines, so as of now you won't miss any crossover with the other shows by stopped at the end of Season 3. Watch if you want. It's ok. But you'll probably be low-key irritated with it, if you're an adult ST fan.