Black Mirror - Yay! Netflix

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

You'll need to remind us what those episodes were if you want us to understand context.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: You'll need to remind us what those episodes were if you want us to understand context.
Ep2 - 15 million upvotes; everyone rides bikes to get points for no reason

Ep3 - Contact lenses record your entire life, which allows them to record your wife lying to you and cheating on you.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Ah yes.

"Disturbing" describes the majority of.episodes, even the few with happy endings.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Have you gotten to the stationary bike one yet? That's my fav from season 1.

Oh shit, that was episode 2? They didn't do it for no reason. They did it to earn. I always assumed the bikes were part of the power grid.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: They didn't do it for no reason. They did it to earn. I always assumed the bikes were part of the power grid.
Pretty sure we all debated this for the Matrix... humans would be a net energy loss.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: They didn't do it for no reason. They did it to earn. I always assumed the bikes were part of the power grid.
Pretty sure we all debated this for the Matrix... humans would be a net energy loss.
Not if the increased health of the nation eliminates healthcare costs?

Truthfully, I think the bikes were just a symbol of the daily grind.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

There were no real jobs to do, and they (presumably) weren't to the point where they were going to just slaughter people for efficiency, so the bikes became a way to literally earn their calories.

Maybe that upper-crust of on-air personalities needed to always have an audience, so they tolerated the pedal pushers.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Truthfully, I think the bikes were just a symbol of the daily grind.
That was how I took it. Like life was essentially without meaning, and everything people do each day is basically worthless.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

S2e1 was almost happy.

Dude dies and memories recreate d from social network data
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Like life was essentially without meaning, and everything people do each day is basically worthless.
Kind of true. All of the work most people do means nothing in the grand scheme of things.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote: Like life was essentially without meaning, and everything people do each day is basically worthless.
Kind of true. All of the work most people do means nothing in the grand scheme of things.
Hey, Mr Nihilist.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

The graveyard is full of men who thought themselves irreplaceable.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
Malcolm wrote:S3E4: San Junipero

The story starts out with two chicks in the '80s. It's extremely difficult to go into much more detail because it goes somewhere way the fuck else after that. I'll say the writer most likely played or read up on a certain MMOG to prep for this, which I'm not even going to link to because it'd kill things. This is the first ep of the season that I'd call "good."
I liked it as well. Beautifully shot.

The ending though...there was more than one way to interpret that right?
The happiest ep they’ve ever had. Are they going soft?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Shut up and dance was well done, but entirely predictable. S3e3
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Malcolm wrote: S3E5: Men Against Fire

If you know what that title references, you should have this ep sussed out in around 5-10 minutes. Even if you don't, you'll have suspicions. A military squad is tasked to clear an area of "roaches," which are somewhere between Orcs and Cenobites. After taking out a couple of them hiding in a closet, one soldier picks up the flashlight-looking thingy they dropped and inexplicably hits the on switch. I'll stop there. I've found this to be the weakest ep so far of the new season. It has all the subtlety of a Maxim Gorky play and less suspense than a Spurs-Timberwolves game. The protagonist is also a complete dumb-ass who seems to forget all military training and common sense past a certain point in the script.
I mostly agree, here. I could nitpick the last part of his review, since I thought there were reasons.

We're s1 and s2 bbc, then Netflix took me to over?

The tone has changed a lot.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I don't think the tone changed completely. They definitely are doing less "technology will make it impossible to cheat" stories.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Season 4 Episode 1 - USS Callister

Great episode.

It does raise an interesting philosophical debate that I can't get into without major spoilers.
Pretty awesome. Took me a second to recognize Gamer691
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
S3E6: Hated in the Nation
Excellent episode that felt like a full length feature movie. It'd be in my top 5 episodes.

I do agree with Malcolm on the ending. There's only one logical conclusion to be drawn from why they ended it the way they did, and it doesn't fit the series. There are no "to be concluded" episodes. Still, it's different than what I had been expecting, which involved the same person...

This series is simply excellent. You should be watching it.
I will argue there is a 2nd way to interpret it. She found him, but that doesn’t mean she wasn’t the one helping the whole time. She “suicided” so no one will trace her down. She was also the best one at following all the breadcrumbs, and told manager guy not to do the thing that he did, but she only protested vocally. She didn’t do more to stop him. She found the GPS, etc.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: S4 E3 - Crocodile

Worst episode of the season so far. No twists. Very predictable.
Not sure why they called it Crocodile. Would like to have that story.

Predictable, like Leisher says.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: Not sure why they called it Crocodile. Would like to have that story.
Thanks, internet.
Brooker explained that the title came from an analogy he made in an earlier draft of the script. In its original form, the script had involved a woman that had seen her mother die tragically at the age of two, causing her to become anxious and fearful of the rest of the world. He had compared this to a virtual reality trip down a jungle river with random events. Someone might go down this trip without seeing a crocodile and thus see it as a calm trip, but someone else might be attacked by a crocodile early on, and for the rest of the trip, become anxious and fearful that they are experiencing a "crocodile attack simulator", the same situation as this character. While the script significantly changed over the course of production, Brooker kept this title for the episode
It is interesting to me that they keep calling back this this song each season. (Anyone who knows what love is). Particularly notable since I only know it from this show.