Netflix

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Vince wrote: then it's a TV movie.
Nope. TV Movies have commercial breaks (or places for them), low budgets, etc.

This was Alfonso Cuaron, nominated for 10 Oscars, winner of 4. Saying his work is Hallmark channel work is an insult to movies. Budget was $15M, very solid for an indie/artish movie.
Yep.

I can go film a movie in my backyard for free and win an Oscar, but Netflix can spend millions, hire a top director, shoot in a studio and multiple locations, but can't because their film is shown on people's TVs and not in theaters? Bullshit.

Also, theaters are dying. What happens when they're as rare as drive ins?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

Netflix

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote:
Vince wrote: then it's a TV movie.
Nope. TV Movies have commercial breaks (or places for them), low budgets, etc.

This was Alfonso Cuaron, nominated for 10 Oscars, winner of 4. Saying his work is Hallmark channel work is an insult to movies. Budget was $15M, very solid for an indie/artish movie.
I never said his work is Hallmark channel stuff. I don't even know who he is (which might be a bigger insult). He'd only be insulted if a Hallmark movie beat him. If he can't compete, he should go home.

How about straight to video movies? Should they be considered for Oscars? How about let's compare Roots or Centennial to The Shape of Water. Want to talk about insulting!

I don't think quality of work is the guideline. How about plays? Can we nominate them for an Oscar? How about a book? What about a riveting news cast? A viral Youtube video?
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Vince

Netflix

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: I can go film a movie in my backyard for free and win an Oscar, but Netflix can spend millions, hire a top director, shoot in a studio and multiple locations, but can't because their film is shown on people's TVs and not in theaters? Bullshit.
Only if your film is shown in theaters. If money spent is the mark of great art, then Kevin Costner was cheated for his work in Waterworld.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote: Only if your film is shown in theaters
In a world where movie theatres are less and less relevant, this just strikes me as antiquated and out of touch.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Vince

Netflix

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote:In a world where movie theatres are less and less relevant, this just strikes me as antiquated and out of touch.
It's certainly trending that way, but as these numbers show they aren't irrelevant yet by a long shot. And probably won't be for some years to come. And make no mistake, I understand that at some point the criteria will have to be adjusted. I'm just kind of a stickler for everyone knowing the rules they are playing by. The grounds for an entry to the Academy should rest on something more than, "I subscribe to their service and I like some of the movies they have."
Leisher
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote: How about straight to video movies? Should they be considered for Oscars?
Sure, why not? They're not going to win...
Vince wrote: How about let's compare Roots or Centennial to The Shape of Water. Want to talk about insulting!
You lost me here. Who would be insulted in this scenario? Also, what is Centennial?
Vince wrote: How about plays? Can we nominate them for an Oscar? How about a book? What about a riveting news cast? A viral Youtube video?
You're going off the rails here. There's a distinct format difference between a feature film and these other things.
Vince wrote: Only if your film is shown in theaters.
Many good movies never had a shot in theaters. You've just taken all the power away from the academy and given it to theater owners and distributors. What if my movie plays only in my local theater? I can, literally, rent a local theater and play my movie one time. Is it now eligible? If you demand a wide release, how wide? Many Oscar nominees played in NY, LA, and that's about it.
Vince wrote: I'm just kind of a stickler for everyone knowing the rules they are playing by.
To be fair, the rules get thrown out all the time. Documentaries are supposed to contain 100% factual and accurate information, audio, and visuals. However, Michael Moore's films have been nominated and won despite him faking stuff. Al Gore's documentary won despite containing computer generated footage and portraying it as real.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Many good movies never had a shot in theaters. You've just taken all the power away from the academy and given it to theater owners and distributors. What if my movie plays only in my local theater?
Here are the current rules:
To qualify for Oscar consideration under current eligibility rules, a feature-length narrative film must be:

Longer than 40 minutes (less than that and it’s considered a short film).
Have at least a seven-day consecutive theatrical run in Los Angeles County by Dec. 31.
Available to the public in theaters first, and thereafter it can be streamed, broadcast on TV or distributed on DVD or video on demand.
There is also this: “Motion pictures released in such nontheatrical media on or after the first day of their Los Angeles County qualifying run remain eligible.”
The 2nd/3rd rules are the ones that are dumb. Historically they were useful, but we are in the transition period where non-theatre movies can be much more significant than they were historically.
Cakedaddy

Netflix

Post by Cakedaddy »

I've seen commercials at the theater while waiting for the movie to start. Those should be included as movies.
Vince

Netflix

Post by Vince »

Netflix can lobby to get the rules changed. I don't really care. Smarter move would be to advertise on their NOT making movies that could win an Oscar in today's Academy. Run an ad that they'd rather work on making original films that people will have watched.
Leisher
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by Leisher »

Investopedia thinks Netflix will win the streaming wars.

I wouldn't bet my life on it.

I do think they'll beat Prime. Prime kind of sucks. They have a lot of content because they grab stuff nobody else wants, but their business model to sell items gets in the way of streaming for a fee. Until they resolve that, ala the Apple Store, they will be an also ran.

Apple Store denies themselves with their proprietary, so they lose.

No point discussing Vudu or any of the other also rans.

That means Netflix and Hulu are left. To date they're both very different. Hulu seemed to focus on more current TV, while Netflix was movies and original programming. However, now Disney owns Hulu and Hulu Live is a thing that really separates it from Netflix.

They also don't mention Disney+, which is going to be a juggernaut.

What happens if Disney makes Disney+ and Hulu Live a package deal? Disney+ focuses on family stuff while Hulu focuses on more adult content and live/current TV.

I don't know that Netflix can win that war. They could absolutely always be a player, but "winning"? I don't think so.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
I don't know that Netflix can win that war. They could absolutely always be a player, but "winning"? I don't think so.
The challenge for Netflix is establishing enough content to be relevant, as content will win. Disney has a huge backlog, which will be an advantage, but they haven't got their shit together yet on the streaming side. Purchasing Marvel, Fox, etc though gives them a lot of content to work with, and I wouldn't be surprised if they take a big piece of the market.

That being said, Netflix has a lot of mediocre stuff that people just watch.
Leisher
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by TheCatt »

"I don't think there's an issue. Movies on the screen (in theaters) will always survive. That's an experience you can't make on TV. It's a preference, and I think if the movies are good and they're on the screen, people are going to go."
Mmmmm. Maybe. It gets less compelling every year as TVs get bigger + cheaper.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by TheCatt »

My oldest watch the end of the series Avatar, last Airbender. She thene. Download some to watch on the he plane, worked fine.

We have our layover in NYC. my other daughter wants some episodes. Cannot find it.

Turns out Netflix Canada has it, but not Netflix US
GORDON
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by GORDON »

*ring* torrents calling.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Vince

Netflix

Post by Vince »

Do you think Disney will catch any blowback from people that have bought their movies on other streaming platforms that will no longer be able to access them when the Disney streaming service starts up?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote: Do you think Disney will catch any blowback from people that have bought their movies on other streaming platforms that will no longer be able to access them when the Disney streaming service starts up?
If they bought it, they would still have rights. I would just think that the streaming monthly places would lose it.

And Disney may even leave stuff on the for sale sites, Google play, apple, etc
TheCatt
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: *ring* torrents calling.
Srsly. Very annoying
Vince

Netflix

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote:
Vince wrote: Do you think Disney will catch any blowback from people that have bought their movies on other streaming platforms that will no longer be able to access them when the Disney streaming service starts up?
If they bought it, they would still have rights. I would just think that the streaming monthly places would lose it.

And Disney may even leave stuff on the for sale sites, Google play, apple, etc
Doesn't usually work that way. I was an early adopter for MS service. Once they lost the rights to songs, they went away from my library. Even when they were on your device (thanks DRM!). Even when I'd bought them. I don't think when you "buy" a movie from Netflix or Amazon (other than a physical copy) that you're actually buying the movie. Only the right to stream it for free from their platform. Once they can no longer provide it because of licensing, you don't get to stream it anymore.