Netflix

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
GORDON
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by GORDON »

I have a shitload of marvel movies on Vudu, when I bought "blu ray with digital download."

Let's see if I still have those movies in a couple years.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Vince

Netflix

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote: I have a shitload of marvel movies on Vudu, when I bought "blu ray with digital download."

Let's see if I still have those movies in a couple years.
I think Disney is allowing the digital downloads from that sort of thing to transfer over to their online service that they have now. It's the digital only purchases outside of Disney that I think will go away.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by TheCatt »

You cannot buy a movie from Netflix. Amazon has 2 components. One is a monthly streaming service, the other is a store. Though I've never bought anything out some iTunes song from stores
It's not me, it's someone else.
Vince

Netflix

Post by Vince »

I'm wondering more specifically about Apple.
Leisher
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote:
TheCatt wrote:
Vince wrote: Do you think Disney will catch any blowback from people that have bought their movies on other streaming platforms that will no longer be able to access them when the Disney streaming service starts up?
If they bought it, they would still have rights. I would just think that the streaming monthly places would lose it.

And Disney may even leave stuff on the for sale sites, Google play, apple, etc
Doesn't usually work that way. I was an early adopter for MS service. Once they lost the rights to songs, they went away from my library. Even when they were on your device (thanks DRM!). Even when I'd bought them. I don't think when you "buy" a movie from Netflix or Amazon (other than a physical copy) that you're actually buying the movie. Only the right to stream it for free from their platform. Once they can no longer provide it because of licensing, you don't get to stream it anymore.
This is a very good question.

With services like Steam, you bought it and you get it when they shut down. They state that in their terms of service. Obviously that wasn't the case with MS Music, I would bet you anything it's the case with Apple music, and so on.

We won't see a public answer to this question anytime soon since the big guys aren't going away. There are a ton of minor players, but do they have enough market share for their customers to make waves?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by GORDON »

As more exclusive services come out, torrenting goes up. No one wants to have to pay for 5 different services when they already cut cable to not pay for a bunch of shit they don't want.
Leisher
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by Leisher »

Someday all restaurants will be Taco Bell.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by GORDON »

I really,.really wish I could get youtubetv without 25 sports channels.
Vince

Netflix

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: With services like Steam, you bought it and you get it when they shut down. They state that in their terms of service. Obviously that wasn't the case with MS Music, I would bet you anything it's the case with Apple music, and so on.
And it wasn't even when MS Music shut down. Before they went belly up I'd find that songs I'd bought stopped being playable because whichever artist/record company didn't renew their agreement with MS. I'm guessing providers used that fiasco to fine tune their agreements. Or it might boil down to who has the best PR group. I'll be curious to see what happens.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote:
Leisher wrote: With services like Steam, you bought it and you get it when they shut down. They state that in their terms of service. Obviously that wasn't the case with MS Music, I would bet you anything it's the case with Apple music, and so on.
And it wasn't even when MS Music shut down. Before they went belly up I'd find that songs I'd bought stopped being playable because whichever artist/record company didn't renew their agreement with MS. I'm guessing providers used that fiasco to fine tune their agreements. Or it might boil down to who has the best PR group. I'll be curious to see what happens.
Microsoft eBooks will be deleted, including free ones as DRM servers will be shutdown in July. Refunds will be provided.

Sounds like it was onerous enough that not many people bought them, but still.
Microsoft started selling ebooks back in 2017 but tech limitations made them unpopular with users. As my colleague Alex Cranz explained back in April, anyone who bought Microsoft’s ebooks had to use Microsoft’s Edge browser and the company never made a dedicated ebook reader application. The books also came with restrictive DRM, the digital locks on media that prohibit people from sharing the files with others. Unfortunately, the existence of those same locks are the precise reason that Microsoft can pull the plug on your books remotely.

Users will automatically get refunded to whatever account they have on file, but if your credit card has expired or you don’t have a payment stored with the company, Microsoft will give you a credit that can be used online in the Microsoft Store.

What happens if you made annotations or notes in your ebooks? Those are going to disappear too. But Microsoft is giving $25 to anyone who made annotations in their books prior to April 2. How generous, right?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by TheCatt »

Bojack horseman needs to be funnier
Leisher
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by Leisher »

I started that show once. Got through the whole first season, but I remember nothing about it and have no interest in watching more.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I started that show once. Got through the whole first season, but I remember nothing about it and have no interest in watching more.
I'm 3 or 4 episodes in, and I've barely laughed.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by TheCatt »

Disney Netflix competitor gets a price
On their quarterly earnings call, Disney execs confirmed a pricetag for the bundled streaming offer they'd teased while announcing Disney+. While that service will cost $7.99 per month on its own, this push to bring cord cutters back into their fold adds on ESPN+ and ad-supported Hulu for $12.99 per month. That's about $5 less than subscribing to them separately -- and the exact same price as Netflix's standard plan -- and it will be available as soon as Disney+ launches on November 12th.
GORDON
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by GORDON »

"Ad-supported Hulu."
Leisher
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: "Ad-supported Hulu."
Hulu has always had the ad free and ad supported versions.

I don't know what Hulu Live's recorded programs are...
Leisher
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by Leisher »

Netflix steals GoT team from HBO.

Can't wait for their new series that will start amazing and then end like a 5th grader wrote it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by Leisher »

You should move that post here
Leisher
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by Leisher »

Teaming up with Goop for a new show.

Netflix should be embarrassed unless this is revealed to be a ploy to get these idiots to admit they're snake oil salesmen.