Netflix

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by TheCatt »

Subscribers dropping, stock down 20%.

More sharing crackdowns coming, apparently.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by GORDON »

They estimate 100 million homes are sharing pwords.

I think they'll find tht a password crackdown isn't going to result in 100 million new paid accounts, it'll be 95 million fewer users talking about their shows.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:58 pm They estimate 100 million homes are sharing pwords.

I think they'll find tht a password crackdown isn't going to result in 100 million new paid accounts, it'll be 95 million fewer users talking about their shows.
They know it won't be 100M, they're hoping it's X. Maybe 50%.
GORDON
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by GORDON »

Too much competition, and piracy is as easy as it ever was. I predict no more than 5% uptick.
Leisher
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by Leisher »

They should try creating and buying better content.

Also, considering some of the extreme left they have put on their platform, will it be fair to say, "Get woke, go broke"? You know someone will.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by Leisher »

Stock continues its free fall.
The company reported Tuesday that it lost subscribers for the first time in more than a decade. The news shocked Wall Street and sent shares plummeting 35% Wednesday morning, wiping out $50 billion in market cap. And this was after the company's stock had dropped more than 40% year to date.
Emphasis mine.

Take the hint Netflix, the content you are producing under the policies and plans you offer is not what the majority of people want.

Also, I can't help but point out Netflix is a perfect example of how the "raise quarterly profits at any cost for our Wall St masters" strategy is not sustainable.
Netflix said Tuesday that it lost 200,000 subscribers in the first quarter of 2022. Now, 200,000 out of 221 million global subscriptions may seem like little more than a rounding error, but consider that the service was expected to add 2.5 million new users in the first three months of the year — a low bar that had already spooked investors in January.
There are only so many people in the world. This moment had to arrive. Even if Netflix was run perfectly and everyone on Earth eventually signed up, we would still have hit a point where new subscriber numbers dipped.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by GORDON »

Market is saturated, and now the churn begins. Every new streamer came out guns blazing for Netflix, since they were the innovators. Netflix couldn't figure out how to keep the content, tried to make their own and it was mediocre at best, and now they're failing. Abandon ship.
Leisher
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by Leisher »

A massive drop in their stock value and losing subscribers has apparently changed some minds in Netflix's executives. They issued a statement aimed at their "woke" employees basically telling them if they can't work on things that they might disagree with then they should probably seek employment elsewhere.
GORDON
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by GORDON »

BUT WE HAVE BEEN TOLD OUR ENTIRE LIVES THAT OUR FEELINGS ARE SUBSTANTIAL AND SHOULD ALWAYS BE TAKEN INTO ACCOUNT AT ALL TIMES.
Leisher
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by Leisher »

I just really, really hope this is a sign the tides are turning and we can get past this woke shit.

We should absolutely ensure everyone gets to be themselves and live their best lives, but nobody else should suffer for it and people should never be cancelled for having differing opinions.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:09 am Ozark is returning with a 14 episode final season.

That's when I will finally watch it.
I just finished it.
TheCatt wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:33 am But I hope it has a decent ending.
I'm going to say yes, but viewers seem to disagree.
Leisher
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by Leisher »

Haven't seen the end of Ozark yet, but The Shield still has the best ending ever.
Leisher
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by TheCatt »

I remember her "Don't Give Up" with Peter Gabriel, but I don't know any of her solo songs.
Leisher
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by Leisher »

My youngest told me she heard that the reason the song was used is because it was royalty free. It was never even remotely a hit when it was released in the 80s.

No idea how true that statement is, but she follows everything Stranger Things, so she'd know something like that if it was ever reported.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:46 pm No idea how true that statement is, but she follows everything Stranger Things, so she'd know something like that if it was ever reported.
Skeptical.

I'd say it was a song that the producers liked from the time period and felt had an appropriate tone and or message for what was going on. Most of my friends were/are Kate Bush fans.

Remember when Stranger Things used Joy Division's Atmosphere? I loved that scene. Great song, but so far from ever having been a hit. Moby's "When it's Cold I'd like to die" is another good example.

- edit -

OK, I read an interview with the Duffers brothers, and basically they didn't listen to much of this music growing up, unless it was on a movie soundtrack. But they went back and listened to 80s music, and picked what they felt was appropriate 1) for characters to be listening to or 2) had the right tone if it was background music, and some of the suggestions came from the director, not them.
Leisher
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by Leisher »

Interesting.

Good for Kate Bush. I certainly had no idea she existed.
Leisher
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by Leisher »

Sell your stock ASAP as millions are expected to quit Netflix.

Not for politics, but because people are struggling to make ends meet. There's also a chunk of those people saying Netflix is their least favorite streaming service.

I'd say Prime's content/GUI is the worst by a mile, but the other perks they offer so dramatically overpower Netflix.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by TheCatt »

NFLX stock has already been in the shitter the past year.

Prime is the worst video service, so good thing it's "free" when you have the rest of Prime. NFLX has no savior.