The Witcher

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Troy

The Witcher

Post by Troy »

Definitely will be giving this a fair shot from first airing and onward. Haven’t done so on anything since expanse or GoT.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Witcher

Post by TheCatt »

Early word is "slow to get started, but good"
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Witcher

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

The Witcher

Post by Leisher »

If he actually said that, I'm a huge fan.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Witcher

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: If he actually said that, I'm a huge fan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm3aBzQa6m0
Cakedaddy

The Witcher

Post by Cakedaddy »

I love his face as he says it. As if to consider any other platform is just stupid.
GORDON
Site Admin

The Witcher

Post by GORDON »

I've liked him since Stardust. And he's the best Superman.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

The Witcher

Post by Leisher »

He is the best Superman, although I still think Christopher Reeves was the best Clark Kent.

He also has my respect as a man now that I know he doesn't fuck with childrens' gaming systems.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

The Witcher

Post by GORDON »

Up to ep 5. Like it so far, but I think I just figured out their storytelling device.
Troy

The Witcher

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote: Up to ep 5. Like it so far, but I think I just figured out their storytelling device.
is the device : "scenes are non-linear, decades apart even, but we won't tell you until the confusion has set in for an hour"

Finished this - good season. A little uneven but not bad-uneven like the Hobbit or GoT. Just everyone feeling out their characters. Except for Geralt. It was cool that he showed up to play himself.

The bard and his actor grew on me. A+ boobs and sex scenes. Shout-out to the dragon hunt RPG party episode.

TOSS A COIN TO YOUR WITCHER
O VALLEY OF PLENTY (O VALLEY OF PLENTY)
GORDON
Site Admin

The Witcher

Post by GORDON »

Troy wrote:
GORDON wrote: Up to ep 5. Like it so far, but I think I just figured out their storytelling device.
is the device : "scenes are non-linear, decades apart even, but we won't tell you until the confusion has set in for an hour"
Correctomundo.

Last one watched was the dragon hunt. It was ok.

It's a good show, worth watching , but not as good as GoT, as I've heard said. Just feels a little less .... Serious?
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Witcher

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON
Site Admin

The Witcher

Post by GORDON »

Something I wonder: did the author of the books REALLY hate communism? The bad guys seem to be exactly the old Soviet system.

"They come in and take everything from you, and make you so dependent on the system that you grasp for whatever they give you, including shitty ale."
Leisher
Site Admin

The Witcher

Post by Leisher »

I watched the first three last night. So far I'm enjoying it a lot.

Now, as someone who has never read the books, but has played the games, particularly loving The Witcher 3...so if you've read the books please correct me.

The one thing I do not think is great is some of the casting.

Triss' casting is awful. The woman playing her is a fine actress, but visually that's not Triss Marigold.

Dandelion I initially didn't like. He's not enough of a pretty boy. However, the actor made the character work. In the games, Dandelion comes off as not the smartest, but talented and pretty so every woman wants to fuck him.
Troy

The Witcher

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: I watched the first three last night. So far I'm enjoying it a lot.

Now, as someone who has never read the books, but has played the games, particularly loving The Witcher 3...so if you've read the books please correct me.

The one thing I do not think is great is some of the casting.

Triss' casting is awful. The woman playing her is a fine actress, but visually that's not Triss Marigold.

Dandelion I initially didn't like. He's not enough of a pretty boy. However, the actor made the character work. In the games, Dandelion comes off as not the smartest, but talented and pretty so every woman wants to fuck him.
100% even after they introduced the show version of Triss i kept expecting a red-haired sorcerer to make an intro.

Also agree about Dandelion, had the same intial rejection. But he grew on me a lot. The songs are good. His banter is excellent, even when he's just getting "Hm" back.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Witcher

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote: 100% even after they introduced the show version of Triss i kept expecting a red-haired sorcerer to make an intro.
I was thinking more about this at lunch. It's really going to kill my immersion in the show if they go down the expected plot line for her.

Could they have tried to dye her hair?

Cakedaddy

The Witcher

Post by Cakedaddy »

Maybe she identifies as a red head and you just didn't know?
Leisher
Site Admin

The Witcher

Post by Leisher »

Finished season 1 last night. How long do I have to wait for season 2?
Troy wrote: Except for Geralt. It was cool that he showed up to play himself.
I like this comment. He took a lot of shit for getting this role, but I thought he did a great job.
Troy wrote: i kept expecting a red-haired sorcerer to make an intro.
Turns out that kind of happened...
Cakedaddy wrote: Maybe she identifies as a red head and you just didn't know?
I think there's a possibility, based on the events of ep 8, that she could get a makeover.
Troy wrote: A+ boobs and sex scenes.
Could have been more boobs, but I figure we'll see more as the show goes on. It's nice to see naked women in Hollywood properties again. Seemed like the new trend was to just show flaccid penises.
Troy wrote: Shout-out to the dragon hunt RPG party episode.
Agree. I thought it was fun, but it could have been a bit better. The black girls...what were they? Were they human or something more?
GORDON wrote: It's a good show, worth watching , but not as good as GoT, as I've heard said. Just feels a little less .... Serious?
This is an interesting comment. I wonder if it felt less serious for you because there was a complete lack of humor in GoT or because that movie either had a higher production budget or was shot far more in daylight...with one very notable exception...?

I would definitely argue that the writing for The Witcher S1 was better than GoT S1. GoT season 1 felt like it was written by someone who used to write for a sitcom where the two leads were obviously going to hook up, but the writer had to stall it for 3 more seasons. So instead of a tight plot, you got a bunch of boring, unnecessary bullshit and the stupidest character in the history of fiction. IMHO, GoT got much better after that first season.

Other thoughts:
So has anyone here actually read the books? Is Yennifer's story line accurate?

I like how they have Geralt drinking potions all the time without explanation. If you've read the books, played the games, or even played D&D you know what's going on, but you know there are people out there a bit clueless about them.

His abilities are done the same way, with very little explanation. I wish he'd use them a bit more in his fights though.

If you have never played The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (Don't bother with #2, and #1 might be a bit long in the tooth at this point.) I highly, highly recommend it. I did a massive write up on it here. One of the best games, if not THE best, I've ever played and worth every cent. The reason I mention it is because watching the show gave me flashbacks to playing the game in a very good way.
Troy

The Witcher

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: His abilities are done the same way, with very little explanation. I wish he'd use them a bit more in his fights though.
Reflecting a bit I really liked that line/scene where Triss? Yennefer? talks shit about how weak Geralt is with magic.

And objections aside, I get the Triss character choice after doing a little more research. She was a safe choice + vet at playing a magic user onscreen from Harry Potter.

She also tried to date rape Harry so I guess she's Witcher material. https://harrypotter.fandom.com/wiki/Romilda_Vane
Leisher
Site Admin

The Witcher

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote: And objections aside, I get the Triss character choice after doing a little more research. She was a safe choice + vet at playing a magic user onscreen from Harry Potter.
Like I said, she's a good actress, just a bad visual for Triss. Also, "Ha!" on the rape comment. (which is an unusual sentence to write...)