John Wick

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Vince

Post by Vince »

Generally I'm of the opinion that the Keanu Reeves' movies that are good are good despite Keanu Reeves being in them. This is one I think was actually made better by him. He actually delivered a solid acting job in this one.

A revenge flick about a hit man (Reeves) that had gone into retirement and got married. Wife dies of cancer, and someone from the crime world crosses him and takes the one thing he was left holding on to. Much ass kicking and blood letting follows.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

So it's like Taken except the wife is already dead?
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

So it's like Taken except the wife is already dead?

So Taken 3?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

Post by Vince »

Eh... not like Taken. More like a modern day Unforgiven. His character has that same feel. There's no mistaking that his character is not a nice guy. Just one that's been trying to not be an actual bad guy.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Oooo Unforgiven is one of my faves.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:Oooo Unforgiven is one of my faves.
Clint != Keanu.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Vince

Post by Vince »

No, not by a long shot. But closer to Unforgiven than Taken. As far as the main characters and feel of the story.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

... and someone from the crime world crosses him and takes the one thing he was left holding on to.

Wait, they killed Bill S. Preston, Esq.? Bastards.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Pretty good movie, lots of action. Didn't care for Ms. Perkins' fate, but overall a good flick.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Liked this one a lot, but then I like the unapologetically violent ones.

And Ms. Perkins absolutely had that coming, there was no other way she would end. Think about what she violated, and the consequences that would have to be in place to keep the trust it has.

Edited By GORDON on 1424918360
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Really good movie. Keanu brought it.

Loved how the action was paced too. Reminded me a lot of Eastwood's advice to the kid in Unforgiven about staying calm in a gun fight. The way he would incapacitate someone, deal with a more immediate threat, and then ensure that the previously incapacitated threat was eliminated (usually with a head shot) was pretty cool.

I agree with Catt about Ms. Perkins' fate being anti-climatic, but Gordon is also right. It's not something that could be ignored and management would have needed to act swiftly and decisively. She knew the rules. My real problem with it is that she should have known the consequences and that of ALL the people in the world, these are the ones you don't want to piss off because they will find you.

Back to the main plot, the only part of the story that was weak to me was Willem Dafoe. His entire character was a plot device. It had no substance to it. I was more emotionally invested in the dog. (That's snarky, but also true.)

Still, great action film.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Keanu brought it.

They stuck to his strength, not saying words.

Back to the main plot, the only part of the story that was weak to me was Willem Dafoe. His entire character was a plot device.

He keeps Wick from getting taken unaware when Perkins tries to make her move. Other than that, yeah, wasted.

I was more emotionally invested in the dog.

John Wick: "You killed my dog."
John Wick 2: "You killed my goldfish."
John Wick 3: "You killed my cactus."

Didn't care for Ms. Perkins' fate, but overall a good flick.

Bitches got to be put in line.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Let's call it now, do they maintain his badass status or do they eventually bring in a new woman to help him find peace and become a pussy again?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Leisher wrote:Let's call it now, do they maintain his badass status or do they eventually bring in a new woman to help him find peace and become a pussy again?
Depends. Is it a Perkins-like chick or the one we saw in the phone vid?
Malcolm

John Wick

Post by Malcolm »

Michael Nyqvist, the villain, died today of lung cancer. Dude was 56, looked like he was knocking on retirement age's door.
Leisher
Site Admin

John Wick

Post by Leisher »

Remember the door guard Wick let's go? He explains the cool little plot detail about that which I never caught.

GORDON
Site Admin

John Wick

Post by GORDON »

Oooohh.