True Detective

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Troy

Post by Troy »

New HBO series. Just watched the first episode on HBOGO.

Matthew Mcconaughey and Woody Harrelson are detectives investigating a gruesome cult-like murder in Louisiana.

The first episode sucked me in early and didn't let go. A lot of the supporting characters are recognizable from other HBO shows, like Deadwood/Treme/The Wire.

Seven/Silence of the Lambs/The Wire ish.

Edited By Troy on 1389819341
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

You lost me at Matthew McConaughey.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote:You lost me at Matthew McConaughey.

Have you seen some of his stuff lately? Legit question.

This isn't exactly "Failure to Launch"

Edited By Troy on 1389819919
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Say, man, you got a joint?
It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I've seen him act respectable in a few things before. Not nearly as many as his horrible performances, though.

No, McConaughey took it.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I know he's getting kudos for his two most recent movies, but he doesn't and has never appealed to me. That's not even touching the fact that's he's been TERRIBLE in a lot of things, and seems like a completely self absorbed doubebag compared to other actors, and that's really saying something.

To be fair though, Woody Harrelson occupied this role for me for many years. Somewhere along the line I realized he was always playing the same role...badly. He's been ok in some things, and has since left the "I can't stand even seeing him in a movie" space and moved into the "whatever" space.

Don't think I'll be signing up for a show with both of them.

Best version I could find:
<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/cMw6jObK3bU?hl=en_US& ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/cMw6jObK3bU?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote:
aww right aww right aww right
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

He was awesome in that role.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I was going to come back to this thread and be all "Leisher, he was good in (movie) and (movie 2) and what about (other movie)"... but I seriously think I've only seen him in Dazed and Confused and A time to Kill... And I barely remember the latter.

He was awesome in Dazed and Confused.

Edited By TheCatt on 1389837469
Troy

Post by Troy »

Episode four is insane. Just insane. Probably see some buzz on it tomorrow to go along with the future gay NFL guy.

Also if anyone besides me is actually watching, I searched around and confirmed that last 5 minutes was all one shot, on location, no edit breaks.

Edited By Troy on 1392007878
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I'd watch except it's a bitch to find the first episode anywhere so I can DVR it.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/cHWLpJRlBYA?hl=en_US& ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/cHWLpJRlBYA?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Vince

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote:I know he's getting kudos for his two most recent movies, but he doesn't and has never appealed to me. That's not even touching the fact that's he's been TERRIBLE in a lot of things, and seems like a completely self absorbed doubebag compared to other actors, and that's really saying something.
Oddly, I've always liked him personally (for whatever reason) and hated most everything he's ever acted in. I was impressed with him in Reign of Fire, though. Thought he pulled that off much better than I'd expected.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

This might convince me.
Troy

Post by Troy »

I pegged this series as having some elements of "cosmic horror" pretty early on. Very dark at times.

Solid season. 8 episodes of awesome. I'll be excited to see who the detectives are next season.

Edited By Troy on 1394478009
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

So, this show is worth watching? I've never even heard of it until like the last week. Never read this thread.

Edited By GORDON on 1394508929
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Is that shit available somewhere besides HBOGO?
Troy

Post by Troy »

Well I really enjoyed it, it's not a huge commitment - only 8 episodes.

I am not sure about another way to watch. I either watch it on GO or in a hotel room.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

So I watched this. It was OK. My main criticism has to do with the setting: Louisiana. I was born in Louisiana and lived there until I finished college. My whole family lives there, and we visit frequently.

1. I have never, ever, EVER in my life heard people who sound like the people in this show. Matthew McC does the best job, because his character is from East Texas and MM himself actually did live in East Texas. Woody Harrelson did a good job sounding like he had a wad of skoal in his mouth the whole time (which I believe the character actually did; we see a can ONCE, but never see him spit) but his accent was off. All the other characters had simply unbelievable accents, especially the (I guess) ones who were supposed to be Cajun.

2. I'm not sure where they were shooting, but they made it look like there's a petrochemical plant in everybody's backyard. No. On the Mississippi near Baton Rouge, maybe, but they were supposed to be over toward Lafayette.

3. A couple of times characters (supposed native Louisianites) would refer to highways as "THE 49" or "THE 10." Does anybody outside of Los Angeles do this? I've NEVER heard that.

Edited By thibodeaux on 1394887743