Face Off - Yay Netflix!

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I went back to watch this one before listening to the "How Did This Get Made" episode about it.

This is one of those films that you remember as being good, when it's really terrible.

John Travolta stars as Nic Cage and Nic Cage stars as John Travolta. Let that sink in for a second.

Everyone should see this film once because it's that spectacularly bad.

I highly recommend watching it and then listening to the hilarious HDTGM podcast episode about it afterwards.

Side note: The podcast features Andre and Rafi from The League, Andre's real life wife, and a random guest (Amy Schumer, Nick Kroll, etc.). Awesome podcast.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I remember when this came out. A John Woo flick with no subtitles. How disappointing.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I don't think I like this new Film Snob Leisher.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

THIS MOVIE WAS AWESOME.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Exactly.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote:Exactly.
YOU SIR, ARE A MAN.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote:
YOU SIR, ARE A MAN.
I don't even got to check nuts, because I already know I got 'em.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:
TheCatt wrote:
YOU SIR, ARE A MAN.
I don't even got to check nuts, because I already know I got 'em.
Just because you are something doesn't mean you have something.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I dare you to watch this on Netflix, listen to the podcast, and then defend this film. It's awesome because it's hilariously bad.

If you choose not to then your opinion is invalid.

And you know about the alternate ending right?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

You kids and your podcasts.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

This podcast is so up your alley and you don't know it.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Never listened to a podcast in my life.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Too busy shooing kids off your lawn?

No seriously, if you're going to try one, make it that one. It's about movies and stars two people you already know and enjoy.

It reminds me of our conversations about movies back in the day and the ones here. Rafi is as hilarious on this show as he is on the League, but he's no playing a character. He's just genuinely hilarious. All of their insights are as fans of movies and as people in the industry.

Also, while they're pointing out how stupid these films are, they still admit to loving most of them and do a segment at the end where they say if they'd recommend it or not.

I started off just checking it out, and now I go out of my way to avoid listening to an episode until I can see the movie (new or again).

The Deep Blue Sea episode is the best one I've heard so far, but all have been hilarious.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:I dare you to watch this on Netflix, listen to the podcast, and then defend this film. It's awesome because it's hilariously bad.
I don't defend jack. I was highly entertained by that film, the end.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Tim Wilson at UVA demonstrated this with The Poster Test. He brought a group of students into a room and showed them a series of posters. The students were told they could take any one they wanted as a gift and keep it. He then brought in another group, and told them the same thing, but this time they had to explain why they wanted the poster before they picked. He then waited six months and asked the two groups what they thought of their choices. The first group, the ones who just got to grab a poster and leave, they all loved their choice. The second group, the ones who had to write out why, hated theirs. The first group, the grab-and-go people, usually picked a nice, fancy painting. The second group, the ones who had to explain their choice, usually picked an inspirational poster with a cat clinging to a rope.

Bullshit study. This is about as legit as the, "What is your favourite colour," test from Monty Python.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Malcolm wrote:Bullshit study. This is about as legit as the, "What is your favourite colour," test from Monty Python.
"Hang in there" Malcolm.
Vince

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote:I dare you to watch this on Netflix, listen to the podcast, and then defend this film. It's awesome because it's hilariously bad.
I don't defend jack. I was highly entertained by that film, the end.
Makes sense if they knew they were going to have to explain their answer. And it's kind of funny. The same ones that really wouldn't seem to care about what people thought of their choices would be the ones most likely to lie about why they liked it coming up with all sorts of BS.

As I've gotten older I've found the explanation of "Because it makes me happy inside" as all the in depth self analysis I need most times.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote:As I've gotten older I've found the explanation of "Because it makes me happy inside" as all the in depth self analysis I need most times.
Exactly.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

TheCatt wrote:
Vince wrote:As I've gotten older I've found the explanation of "Because it makes me happy inside" as all the in depth self analysis I need most times.
Exactly.
Sorry, all the OLD is drowning you out.
Vince

Post by Vince »

I was late to the party of ever seeing this movie, and not even sure I've seen all of it. Just large chunks on TV. I remember seeing the acting as interesting, but take out Travolta and Cage and this story was worthy of being a Sci-Fi original. Hard for me to stay in the story because so much made no sense.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren