Face Off - Yay Netflix!

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Laughing at horribly made things with other people makes me happy inside.

And I didn't say you can't enjoy it. You should! I did. However, that doesn't mean we can't admit that it's a horribly made movie.

That's part of why that podcast is so much fun. They absolutely shred the movie and then recommend it as something people should watch. During the Con Air episode, Jason Mantzoukas constantly keeps calling it the greatest movie ever made and defends it the whole time with hilarious, implausible explanations.

And they don't do ANYTHING we don't do right here. All of us.

Speaking of that, Nic Cage finished Con Air and within 12 hours was on the set of Face Off. The first scene they shot? The end of the boat chase.

That alternate ending? Basically, the same ending as Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes.

Anyway, I really want Gordo to try the podcast as it's right up his alley. Probably fits most of the rest of you too.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Well you made it sound somewhat mean spirited.

I might give it a listen if I can figure out what a podcast is. Do I need an iPod to hear it?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Well you made it sound somewhat mean spirited.

It's the internet. Everything sounds mean spirited if that's how you read it.

For example: Go fuck yourself!

Now you KNOW that was done in humorous jest, yet anyone reading it can take offense if they want.

I might give it a listen if I can figure out what a podcast is. Do I need an iPod to hear it?

I think any phone or iPod or iPad or computer plays podcasts. It's just an audio file like a song.

Go to their website and listen to any episode.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I damn near fell out of my chair snickering.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Malcolm wrote:
I damn near fell out of my chair snickering.
Yeah, that was a joke. I remember thinking that a decade ago, though, when podcasts first became a thing.

I still have no idea what a news feed is, though.
Vince

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote:Laughing at horribly made things with other people makes me happy inside.

And I didn't say you can't enjoy it. You should! I did. However, that doesn't mean we can't admit that it's a horribly made movie.
So it sounds like you had the same reaction to this that I did after seeing Flash Gordon again around 2001 or so? Just a wonderfully magnificently horrible movie? Something that's so bad it's great.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

There is no way a sane person can watch the opening sequence of Nic Cage grabbing the underage girl's ass, and then making the craziest face in movie history to the sky and not think, "This is going to be amazing."
GORDON
Site Admin

Face Off - Yay Netflix!

Post by GORDON »

GORDON wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:22 pm Well you made it sound somewhat mean spirited.

A podcast is just a talk show that any old yahoo can make and stream on the internet, isn't it. It's just a talk show.
Leisher
Site Admin

Face Off - Yay Netflix!

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:05 pm
GORDON wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:22 pm Well you made it sound somewhat mean spirited.

A podcast is just a talk show that any old yahoo can make and stream on the internet, isn't it. It's just a talk show.
Depends on the podcast.

Some are indeed like talk shows (Your Mom's House, The Joe Rogan Experience, The Monday Morning Podcast, etc.). Some are educational (Answer Me This, Brain Stuff, Timesuck, etc.). Some are just recordings of radio/TV shows (The Herd, etc.). Some are actually scripted entertainment like radio in the 30s (13 Days of Halloween, Stephen Kings Strawberry Spring, etc.).

Many of them are also on YouTube and have video if you prefer that format over audio, like Your Mom's House and The Joe Rogan Experience.