Unlimited Tickets

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

AMC Theaters is using Interspace to test a new concept ticket, the Unlimited Ticket.

Pay one price and see the movie as many times as you like.

This is a brilliant move on the part of AMC. They make dick off ticket sales the first (and second?) weekend of a run. If priced right, and depending on the film, some folks might purchase this before seeing a film or get it their second time there. That gets AMC's foot in the door for seeing some money on those opening weekends. Plus, increased attendance means increased concession sales.

I can't imagine the studios will love this though. I mean, my initial impression is that it has to be a potential threat to their overall ticket sales, right? Would you rather have a guy pay full price to see the movie twice or have a consumer buy this unlimited ticket once and then his attendance doesn't count again no matter how many more times he sees your film?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I'm open to a "movie pass" idea... but only for all movies. I never* see movies more than once.

* - almost never.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

People still go to theatres?

Edited By Malcolm on 1416332733
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Troy

Post by Troy »

Can you download a theater on the internet?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

This is happening. $35-45 a month gets you a movie per day.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014....ml?_r=0
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Cakedaddy

Unlimited Tickets

Post by Cakedaddy »

Follow up on Gordon's Moviepass post:

Costco had this at $90 for 1 year. 1 movie per day. Standard 2D movies only. No 3D, Imax, etc, etc. I bought a couple for my wife and me. We like it. We have traditionally been too cheap to go to the movies much. Would rather rent a few blu ray than watch one movie. Big movies were seen in the theater, but that was it. But with this, we can watch anything and not care. Hell, we watched Jumani the other night because the movie we wanted to watch was too full.

Super easy to use. They send you a pre-paid Visa/MC to use. The way I read it, you go to the theater, decide what you want to watch. Tell the app and the app loads the ticket cost on the card. Buy the ticket with the card. Or, use the eticket option some theaters offer. Our local 20 screen theater has the eticket/kiosk setup. It's an MJR theater. So, we just launch the app, select that theater, select and movie and time, select a seat, done. When we get to the theater, enter in the code at a kiosk and our tickets print out. Super easy.

You aren't supposed to share you tickets with others (sell them at the theater or let a friend use your card). I 'THINK' they use your phone to track you to make sure you are at the theater. Not sure though. I say that because I read that you were supposed to 'check in' at the theater. We have not done that yet. Also read that it will be difficult to see high demand movies because you can't buy your ticket in advance. However, we've selected our movies up to 2 hours in advance. It only shows that day's movies. So couldn't buy tickets for tomorrow.

Over all, very easy to use, and not too limiting for a casual movie goer. Haven't had to use the prepaid card though, so can't comment on that. OH, your subscription gets canceled if you say you want to watch Star Wars and then buy McDonald's with the card.
GORDON
Site Admin

Unlimited Tickets

Post by GORDON »

I've been thinking of getting this:

https://www.cinemark.com/movieclub

$8.99 per month.

You get:
- 1 movie ticket per month, rolls over to the next month if you don't use it.
- All other tickets $8.99, about $1.50 off, at those theaters.
- 20% off concessions. That'll save me about $4 per trip.
Leisher
Site Admin

Unlimited Tickets

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: OH, your subscription gets canceled if you say you want to watch Star Wars and then buy McDonald's with the card.
I'd rather eat McDonald's than watch The Last Jedi again.
GORDON wrote: I've been thinking of getting this:

https://www.cinemark.com/movieclub

$8.99 per month.

You get:
- 1 movie ticket per month, rolls over to the next month if you don't use it.
- All other tickets $8.99, about $1.50 off, at those theaters.
- 20% off concessions. That'll save me about $4 per trip.
That's a good deal. I wish they had the reclining seats.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Unlimited Tickets

Post by GORDON »

I'm thinking I'm going to sign up for that subscription before Black Panther.
Leisher
Site Admin

Unlimited Tickets

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: I'm thinking I'm going to sign up for that subscription before Black Panther.
I am not going to Black Panther opening weekend. Out of respect for my black brothers and sisters.

It's a joke I have with my buddy in SC. (He's black.)
Cakedaddy

Unlimited Tickets

Post by Cakedaddy »

You saw that Moviepass, at $9.95 per month, or $90 per year at Costco, lets you see 1 movie per day, right? That's 28+ movies per month instead of just one.

Also, just looked, aren't tickets like $5-9 at those theaters? I was curious how much movies cost now if $8.99 was a bargain.
GORDON
Site Admin

Unlimited Tickets

Post by GORDON »

As I said, 9 is 1.50 cheaper than regular ticket prices.

I haven't seen your thing at my local Costco. I also wouldn't ever see more than one movie a week because I live in the middle of nowhere and that isn't feasible.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Unlimited Tickets

Post by TheCatt »

I only like reserved seat / reclining theatres now.
Leisher
Site Admin

Unlimited Tickets

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: You saw that Moviepass, at $9.95 per month, or $90 per year at Costco, lets you see 1 movie per day, right? That's 28+ movies per month instead of just one.
When it comes to our Costco, I'll get it.
TheCatt wrote: I only like reserved seat / reclining theatres now.
White people problems...
TheCatt
Site Admin

Unlimited Tickets

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: White people problems...
Fuck it, I've earned it. Being born white was hard.

Hmm, I've apparently let go of the joke that I'm black.
GORDON
Site Admin

Unlimited Tickets

Post by GORDON »

I know a black man identifying as white when I see one.
Cakedaddy

Unlimited Tickets

Post by Cakedaddy »

Leisher wrote:
Cakedaddy wrote: You saw that Moviepass, at $9.95 per month, or $90 per year at Costco, lets you see 1 movie per day, right? That's 28+ movies per month instead of just one.
When it comes to our Costco, I'll get it.
TheCatt wrote: I only like reserved seat / reclining theatres now.
White people problems...

It's online:
https://www.costco.com/MoviePass-and-Fa ... reId=10301
I forgot to mention that you also get Fandor, a movie streaming service. But I haven't used it so can't comment. I read it's all Indie films.

When we started using the pass, we were disappointed that you couldn't pick the premium upgraded reclining seats. We were pleasantly surprised to find that the entire theater was upgraded to them. All electric reclining assigned seats. You pick your seat at ticket purchase.
Leisher
Site Admin

Unlimited Tickets

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Being born white was hard.
To be fair, white men get blamed for everything. So yeah, it kind of is hard.
Cakedaddy wrote: https://www.costco.com/MoviePass-and-Fa ... reId=10301
Thanks for the link!
TheCatt
Site Admin

Unlimited Tickets

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Unlimited Tickets

Post by TheCatt »

If moviepass stays in business, I'll be stunned.