Ghost

Audio Tawk
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

So I heard these guys just won best Metal group at the Grammys so I thought I'd check them out. I like what I heard, ordered the album.

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" style="width:560px; height:315px;" data="//www.youtube.com/v/-0Ao4t_fe0I?color2=FBE9EC&version=3">
<param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/-0Ao4t_fe0I?color2=FBE9EC&version=3" />
<param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" />
<param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" />
</object>

Though I fear they may be actively worshiping Satan.

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" style="width:560px; height:315px;" data="//www.youtube.com/v/40vnRsXwBbI?color2=FBE9EC&version=3">
<param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/40vnRsXwBbI?color2=FBE9EC&version=3" />
<param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" />
<param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" />
</object>

Look at their stage show, read the lyrics, there's some Rob Zombie shit in there, except happening in real life.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I was just reading their wikipedia page, this amused me:
Chicago heavy metal-themed restaurant Kuma's Corner added a hamburger called "The Ghost" to its menu in tribute to Ghost. Its recipe includes goat shoulder, red wine reduction, and a communion wafer. The burger has been called "tasteless" by local Catholic institutions, who demanded that it be removed from the menu.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I pretty much guarantee they aren't active Satanists of any ilk. They're businessmen who know precisely what sells over in Europe. Genuinely crazy musicians.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

CD showed up, so I have been listening to it. This group is very skilled musically, and I think what I find disturbing is that some of these hymns to satan could actually be sung in one of those megachurches, where they plug in their guitars Creed style and sing about their joyous love for Jesus. But these guys add the phrase, "Two star crossed lovers reach out to The Beast," and suddenly,"He is the light, without him I am in darkness" takes an ominous new meaning.

But loving it and I am going to order their back catalog soon.
GORDON
Site Admin

Ghost

Post by GORDON »

They have a "new" EP out, meaning I just finally bought it.

It's quite excellent. This is the best poppy, Satan-worshiping metal I ever heard.

Are you ready to swear to the Devil, right here, right now?

GORDON
Site Admin

Ghost

Post by GORDON »

About 2 months ago there was a casting call in Detroit for a Ghost video. "Come dressed for church." I thought about taking the kid... but I figured 1, it would be super crowded, and 2. Detroit.

Well I guess this is the video, from their 2-year-old album. Weird.

I was hoping for a little more crazy satanic imagery.... but the unexpected nips at the end were nice, though.

GORDON
Site Admin

Ghost

Post by GORDON »

Coming to Toledo October 15. Got tickets, taking my kid to his first metal show.
Leisher
Site Admin

Ghost

Post by Leisher »

That song is metal?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Ghost

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: That song is metal?
Is Kenny G opening?
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Ghost

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: That song is metal?
I dunno. When they won "best metal album" a couple years ago and I gave it a listen... well, that was the same group of people that said Jethro Tull was better metal than Metallica.

IMO it's pop rock with a slight edge, and openly satanic.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Ghost

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON
Site Admin

Ghost

Post by GORDON »

Never cared for Slayer.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Ghost

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Never cared for Slayer.
Too hard for you? ;)

Never listened to them, actually, but friends wanted to go, and I like Primus + Ministry.
GORDON
Site Admin

Ghost

Post by GORDON »

Too fast mostly.
GORDON
Site Admin

Ghost

Post by GORDON »

Ghost concert tonight woooooo woooooooooooo.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Ghost

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Ghost concert tonight woooooo woooooooooooo.
More like Boooooooo booooooooooooo, amirite?
GORDON
Site Admin

Ghost

Post by GORDON »

I was going for the same thing, but yours has the elegance of being a double entendre.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Ghost

Post by TheCatt »

I went. It was: Pantera, Ministry, Primus, and Slayer.

It started at 6pm, which was super convenient. More concerts should do this :)

Pantera was first - 45 minute set. We had floor tickets (general admission), and the pit started RIGHT where we were standing. We moved. Pantera was fun, got the crowd going. Played the popular songs.

Ministry - I never realized how short Al Jourgensen was, although the internet says he's 5'8", he looked about 5'4". Another fun show playing a bunch of classics.

Primus - Also played the fun stuff, but not quite all of them (No Winona's Big Brown Beaver, no Tommy the Cat), but a solid set with some bass solos, and what sounded like a Rush song interlude in the middle.

Slayer - The highlight of the show for most fans. I decided to see how close I could get to the security barrier. We had been about 12 to 18 feet away for most of the show... In about 3 songs I worked my way up to 3 feet from the barrier. It was a madhouse, a sea of writhing, massing, sweaty humanity. I made some new friends. The front floor area became a slow moshy pit (slow cuz people were so packed it was hard to do anything). Flames of fire shooting up. For one song the columns were about 20', and on the front of the stage, which was super fucking hot. It even caused a small fire on the set, ooops.

At that point I decided I'd had my fun, and left in the middle of Slayer's first set. I've never listened to them before.

Also, if you wear white to a metal show, you'll stick out. Or if you're a woman. Or black.

This was from before moving up into the crowd: https://photos.app.goo.gl/azokVYMpYp7aHuwh6
GORDON
Site Admin

Ghost

Post by GORDON »

They release albums like every 6 months. The recent one seems to be all covers. I liked this one when I heard it:

But I've always been a fan of Mad Max.

This one is absolutely obscene: