Tool

Audio Tawk
GORDON
Site Admin

Tool

Post by GORDON »

Well, they are really awesome, and they haven't put out new music since 2006, but here is something that just came to my attention: 3 of the songs from the last album were designed to fit together when played simultaneously.

Huh.

alt-rock act Tool snuck an eleven-minute masterpiece onto their last album, but spread across three wildly different songs. So how does that work, exactly? When said three tracks are played concurrently -- "10,000 Days" for its full eleven minutes, set against "Wings for Marie" and then "Viginti Tres" -- the songs crescendo into a complementary clash of writhing guitar chords and suitably epic shredding. The end result is something like finishing a jigsaw puzzle while kick-flipping on a flaming skateboard: everything fits into place perfectly, and you feel awesome doing it.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Edited By GORDON on 1351020826
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Thought that was fairly common knowledge by this point. Caught them on the tour that supported that album. I've been in cover bands that had more of a stage presence.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I don't spend a lot of time surfing music stuff any more.... first I'd heard of it.

As for their stage presence, yeah. I caught them in Memphis supporting Lateralus... I don't even think I saw the lead singer, ever. For those who don't know, he typically hides in the shadows behind the drum kit.

Edited By GORDON on 1351030676
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Maynard. He at least stood off to the side during the show I saw. That also stands as the only show I've seen from a band of any note where they didn't play an encore.

I hear he makes decent wine, though. Still trying to find copies of his standup work.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music....0140715

So lawsuits are the reason there hasn't been a new album.. Bummer. I really like that they say the songs are going to be heavy and a little more metal sounding but shit, they only have one song done!!! Don't expect an album for another year or two at the earliest.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Buddy of mine wants to see them. Hopefully another album and tour will follow.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

I've seen them about 4-5 times, the most recent was about 2 years ago when they came through Toledo. As with most of the shows Maynard was tucked back and not really to be seen. Not much of a stage show as usual but lights and videos made up for that. By far the best sounding show i've ever been to bar none. Every instrument was crystal clear and Maynard was right on with the vocals. It was loud without being distorted and the vocal were able to be heard and not lost in the sound, something most rock shows have a huge problem with.

I've played in bands for about 15 years and even did a tour with good ol Ted Nugent and opened up for countless national acts through out the years, and no band has come close to sounding as fantastic as they did that night. I will give some credit to the Huntington Center though, it was rated as one of the best "arenas" to see a show at a few years ago and i've seen a few shows there and all have sounded pretty damn good. The acoustics in that arena are top notch, but Tool raised it to another level when i saw them.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Stranger wrote:http://www.rollingstone.com/music....0140715

So lawsuits are the reason there hasn't been a new album.. Bummer. I really like that they say the songs are going to be heavy and a little more metal sounding but shit, they only have one song done!!! Don't expect an album for another year or two at the earliest.

I think it is pretty standard that when you make money lots of entities immediately try to fuck you out of it.... usually you don't hear about your career being on hold for 10 years because of it.

They need better lawyers or something.

Better call Saul.

Edited By GORDON on 1405538479
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

They need better lawyers or something.

Maybe the dude suing them plus the insurance company are also packing, legally speaking.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

At least Maynard has his side projects to keep him busy while waiting to make more Tool music.... if only we could get White Zombie back together. That was Rob's best work.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

My wife got me two bottles of Caduceus wine for my birthday last year a red and a white. It came about 6 weeks late because my birthday is in february and they wouldn't ship it in such cold weather. I don't know, i guess product quality thing or something. But she paid about $100 for both bottles and i'd say it was good, better than a bottle of Yellowtail, but i don't know about that much more. I just was hoping that i'd get a signed bottle by Maynard, i had read where he sometimes signs bottles before they are sent out...

Mine wasn't signed...

I drank them both... Kept the bottles though, they look cool.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

The difference between a $50 bottle of wine and $10 bottle isn't as screamingly obvious as you'd think.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I never heard about this. Some dude jumped on stage during a concert and Maynard kicked his ass and got him in a choke hold and never missed a word of the song.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/T-wE5LtDKPU?version=3 ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/T-wE5LtDKPU?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:I never heard about this. Some dude jumped on stage during a concert and Maynard kicked his ass and got him in a choke hold and never missed a word of the song.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/T-wE5LtDKPU?version=3 ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/T-wE5LtDKPU?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
You haven't?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Nope, didn't read that thread. I also didn't open your gay-ass looking Taylor Swift thread.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:Nope, didn't read that thread. I also didn't open your gay-ass looking Taylor Swift thread.
It's funny that the pop ramblings of a 20-something millionaire waif are dangerous/repulsive enough to keep you from reading words about it.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Malcolm wrote:
GORDON wrote:Nope, didn't read that thread. I also didn't open your gay-ass looking Taylor Swift thread.
It's funny that the pop ramblings of a 20-something millionaire waif are dangerous/repulsive enough to keep you from reading words about it.
I must be afraid of her. Swiftaphobic.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I concur.
GORDON
Site Admin

Tool - Random Tool thread

Post by GORDON »

Hey Thib you play bass look at this.

http://geargods.net/lesson/tools-justin ... -bassline/
GORDON
Site Admin

Tool

Post by GORDON »