Larnell Lewis

Audio Tawk
Leisher
Site Admin

Larnell Lewis

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:10 pm And I don't remember what the other issue was you wanted me to address.
Leisher wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:57 pm And does "thieves are scum" not apply to music?
This is NOT picking on you. I'm just curious about how and where we draw lines. In this case, you were on the side against Metallica so you ripped 'em. I was on your side as well, so please don't think this is some "holier than thou are" bullshit. I did not like the stance they, and many others, were taking (and egged into taking). I just didn't get into the personal attacks on them.

However, their side of the core issue was genuinely the correct one. They did make something. People did take it without permission and without paying for it. Being upset about that seems like a logical response. People getting mad that they were mad does not. (See Qualifiers below...)

So why did we justify that they were wrong?

The question really isn't for you, it's for every Napster user, myself included.

Their words at the time were not "metal", but that was over 20 years ago. They're wiser, and I think we are too. And maybe this part is more for Cake, but if we don't learn, forgive, and move on, how are we different from the cancel culture morons?

Honestly, isn't us debating their actions and our own really just distracting from the true enemy at the time, which were the record companies? They were fleecing talent, driving up prices, refusing to embrace new technology (particularly distribution), etc.

Every single gaming company/personality we all support/know took a hardline against pirating. The same side of the street Metallica was on, but I don't remember our boycotts of them or mocking Gabe Newall by mimicking his typing on a chair.

And to our credit, we did boycott games or companies that used...Stardock? Star-something. Remember the antipiracy software being stuck into games that was breaking computers or something like that?

I don't know...you can ignore me. I feel like I'm talking to myself in typing this out. Not that nobody is reading, but that I'm just analyzing the issue for my own curiosity.

BTW, I just tease you about the KISS stuff for fun. I know how you feel about Gene's salesman antics. We've discussed it previously here and face to face. It is pretty lame, but I really don't fault the man for trying to make a buck. What else is he going to go do? Become an accountant?

Qualifier #1: This is a separate conversation from the one where they should have been mad at the record companies more than people stealing individual songs. That's established and undeniable.

Qualifier #2: Cake is the exception to the rule. That's not snark. If everyone had treated Napster like he did, it might still be around.
thibodeaux

Larnell Lewis

Post by thibodeaux »

I'm reading it. We've gotten of the topic of this Mozart of the drums, but what the heck, let's talk about pirating music.

I'll admit it. I was a music pirate, pretty heavily from about 2000 to 2010-ish. I listened to a lot of pirated mp3s some guy I know gave me. But I also listened to a lot of music (ripped CDs) that I paid for.

This all changed a lot when Spotify came out. And now...I actually *pay* for Spotify. Because it's a relatively cheap and painless model. I think most people, when given an easy way to pay for stuff, *and not feeling ripped off*, will do it.

Sadly, movie theaters are learning this the hard way too.
Leisher
Site Admin

Larnell Lewis

Post by Leisher »

thibodeaux wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:35 am This all changed a lot when Spotify came out. And now...I actually *pay* for Spotify. Because it's a relatively cheap and painless model. I think most people, when given an easy way to pay for stuff, *and not feeling ripped off*, will do it.
Exactly. Record companies refused to change their business model, and consumers fought back with Napster. Talent got caught in the middle and dumber talent spoke publicly about it. In the end, the consumers won as new companies came into the picture and took advantage of a need that record companies were too stubborn to touch.
thibodeaux wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:35 am Sadly, movie theaters are learning this the hard way too.
I think they're caught in the middle between consumers/new distribution methods, and movie studio executives who still think the going rates for showing movies in theaters is realistic.

Only the movie studios can save theaters now, and it has to start with them sending movies there first, and then lowering their rates for showing the movies. Additionally, ticket prices at theaters need to drop, while more attention needs to be paid to the overall experience. No more ignoring loud theater goers ruining the film for others.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
thibodeaux

Larnell Lewis

Post by thibodeaux »

Leisher wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:40 am Is trying to squeeze every last cent out of your fans metal?
No more ignoring loud theater goers ruining the film for others.
First anti-semitism, then racism.

You're gonna get cancelled.
Leisher
Site Admin

Larnell Lewis

Post by Leisher »

Ha!
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”