Larnell Lewis

Audio Tawk
Leisher
Site Admin

Larnell Lewis

Post by Leisher »

Watching someone with this level of ability is mesmerizing.

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Larnell Lewis

Post by GORDON »

I hate fusion .
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Cakedaddy

Larnell Lewis

Post by Cakedaddy »

I hate Metalica.

My only issue is, I don't know the drums in that song well enough to know how right he's getting it.
GORDON
Site Admin

Larnell Lewis

Post by GORDON »

I also am not fond of Metallica, and almost mentioned that someone once copied Lars's drumming with nothing but a folding chair that he banged on.

This guy here didn't get the song PERFECT, but really damned close for only one listen. It was impressive.
Leisher
Site Admin

Larnell Lewis

Post by Leisher »

I love Metallica...well, most of Metallica. I'm not a fan of most of their more recent stuff, aside from S&M. I'm pretty over "Enter Sandman" though. Good song, but played to death.
GORDON wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:47 am that someone once copied Lars's drumming with nothing but a folding chair that he banged on.
That's dumb. Say what you want about their politics, off stage stuff, demons, divorces, and so on (FYI: Lars seems like a pretty large douche in real life), but implying there's no talent is ridiculous and from a biased point of view. I'd wager Larnell here is a million times the drummer chair guy is, and he was clearly impressed by the drum arrangement in this song, which isn't close to being the most impressive in their catalog.

I mean, Lars has to have talent because he's a fucking drummer not a bass player! :D

I remember someone, I think it was one of my suite mates (shared bathroom) in the military, mocking Nirvana's guitars in Smells Like Teen Spirit for being exceptionally easy. I said, "Ok, but if it's that simple, why aren't you a millionaire rock star and not sitting here in the AF dorms?"
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

Larnell Lewis

Post by Cakedaddy »

I used to like them. Then they told me how much they hated me, so fuck them. I didn't agree with their Napster views. I was introduced to them late (I think I heard you listening to them at OAPI). Using Napster, I was exposed to more of their music. I proceeded to buy pretty much everything they had out there. Then they attacked their fans and I sold all of their CDs and started changing the station any time they are on.
GORDON
Site Admin

Larnell Lewis

Post by GORDON »

Remember Lars carrying in those boxes of paper, on which they printed out all the user names of Napster users for dramatic effect?

I wonder what font size they used.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Larnell Lewis

Post by TheCatt »

That was pretty awesome. And that dude's pretty amazing.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Larnell Lewis

Post by GORDON »

"Fuck you, pay me" is not metal.
Leisher
Site Admin

Larnell Lewis

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:38 pm I used to like them. Then they told me how much they hated me, so fuck them. I didn't agree with their Napster views. I was introduced to them late (I think I heard you listening to them at OAPI). Using Napster, I was exposed to more of their music. I proceeded to buy pretty much everything they had out there. Then they attacked their fans and I sold all of their CDs and started changing the station any time they are on.
Don't steal their music and then they won't hate you. :D

We've done the Napster discussion to death over the years. Do we really need to dig it back up? If so, take it to a different thread.
GORDON wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:53 pm "Fuck you, pay me" is not metal.
Is trying to squeeze every last cent out of your fans metal? Like selling band themed caskets?

And does "thieves are scum" not apply to music?
TheCatt wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:06 pm That was pretty awesome. And that dude's pretty amazing.
I learned more about drumming watching this video than I think I've ever known.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Larnell Lewis

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:57 pm I learned more about drumming watching this video than I think I've ever known.
All I know about drumming is that I tried it once in high school, and it's hard as fuck.

Oh, and tried it again on Rock Band, and it was by far the hardest instrument.
Cakedaddy

Larnell Lewis

Post by Cakedaddy »

If they were worried about people taking money from them, their fans should have been the last place they looked. They skipped right over the racket that is the RIAA, and went after fans. They were protecting RIAA's revenue stream more than they were their own. In the end, the fans were stealing pennies from Lars, but dollars from RIAA. RIAA had all of Lars' money, not the fans.

Should the fans have stolen the music? Of course not. But for Lars to excuse the RIAA and only attack fans. . . that's what rubbed me the wrong way. Hell, they attacked fans on behalf of the RIAA.
Leisher
Site Admin

Larnell Lewis

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:15 pm Should the fans have stolen the music? Of course not. But for Lars to excuse the RIAA and only attack fans. . . that's what rubbed me the wrong way. Hell, they attacked fans on behalf of the RIAA.
So you're just repeating everything I said. :D

I can't hate someone forever for doing something dumb. Otherwise I'd hate the whole world. We're talking about professional musicians, not professional businessmen. People who are known for getting fucked over by the people who sign them. You never did something dumb when you were younger that negatively affected other people? Something that you realize now was a mistake or that you sided with the wrong people?

This sort of shit is below the line where I cut people out of my life.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Larnell Lewis

Post by TheCatt »

Ride the Lightning was metal.
Kill Em All was metal.
Master of Puppets was metal.
Then Cliff died.
Garage Days Re-revisited was metal (but not their songs).
And Justice for All was mostly metal.

And, then, garbage.
Leisher
Site Admin

Larnell Lewis

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:57 pm And, then, garbage.
I would say the Black album and S&M/S&M 2 were not garbage. Black was a departure from their norm, but still worked and is, I believe, their most successful album. S&M and S&M 2 are just awesome, but also mostly the songs from the albums you listed, so...

The rest, yes, mostly garbage with 1 or 2 mildly ok songs.
thibodeaux

Larnell Lewis

Post by thibodeaux »

TheCatt wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:57 pm Ride the Lightning was metal.
Kill Em All was metal.
Master of Puppets was metal.
Then Cliff died.
Garage Days Re-revisited was metal (but not their songs).
And Justice for All was mostly metal.

And, then, garbage.
Pretty much agree.

Although I can't really say post Justice was garbage, bc...I didn't listen :p

I've heard Sandman (and played it live for hot young chicks, btw) and it's ok. Unforgiven is ok to I guess. The Thin Lizzy cover-of-a-cover was ok but certainly not really metal. Can't name anything else off the top of my head.

I am perfectly willing to say the fault is with me. Puppets came out when I was like 16 or so. To me, it was a golden age. Haven't really cared for their stuff as much since.
thibodeaux

Larnell Lewis

Post by thibodeaux »

Leisher wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:57 pm
GORDON wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:53 pm "Fuck you, pay me" is not metal.
Is trying to squeeze every last cent out of your fans metal? Like selling band themed caskets?
Nobody thinks KISS is metal. They're glam.
GORDON
Site Admin

Larnell Lewis

Post by GORDON »

Yeah I wasn't even going to argue.
Leisher
Site Admin

Larnell Lewis

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:50 pm Yeah I wasn't even going to argue.
Fair, but you could argue the other point I made :D
GORDON
Site Admin

Larnell Lewis

Post by GORDON »

KISS started hard rock with a glammy live show, and did their best to follow success while trying to stay rock, and then eventually Gene started cashing in like crazy. There is no arguing this. In my opinion, it all waters down their brand.

They had a 4-5 album streak after the makeup came off where they were def hard rock, if not metal.... this is my personal fave era... but then they put the makeup back on and stopped pretending to not be primarily generating revenue over making music.

And I don't remember what the other issue was you wanted me to address.