In Which I Am an Asshole

Audio Tawk
thibodeaux

In Which I Am an Asshole

Post by thibodeaux »

A rant on cover bands.

Exhibit A
I (the guitarist) and 2 singers (female and male) are looking for a 2nd guitar player (with strong sense of rhythmic timing and phrasing for playing rhythm and lead) and a bass player. Below is a picture of list of songs we’ve rehearsed-been rehearsing for 5 months 2 or 3 times a week.
Here's the list of songs:
1. Before you accuse me - Eric Clapton
2. Bring it on home to me - The Animals
3. Dead Flowers - Townes Van Zandt
4. Hide your love away - Beatles
5. House of the rising sun - Animals
6. I can't help falling in love with you
7. It ain't me babe - Turtles
8. Like a hurricane - Neil Young
9. Midnight special - CCR
10. Peaceful easy feeling - Eagles
11. Sad song - ? (maybe an original)
12. Sunshine blues - ?
13. Walking after midnight - Patsy Cline
14. Wild horses - Stones

Ok, first of all: JESUS H CHRIST was a boring-ass setlist. Hey, grandma called, she wants her mix tape back. The audience for this music is FUCKING DEAD, even before covid. If I was in a venue and the band was playing this setlist, I'd take a shit on the bar before walking out on my unpaid tab. This stuff was old and tired when I was a kid. Fucking boomers! Can you imagine somebody in 1970-something proposing to put together a cover band playing "Yes, We Have No Bananas!"

Secondly: LMFAO. You've been rehearsing for FIVE MONTHS, twice a week, and this is all you've come up with? That's 40 rehearsals. My God, these songs aren't even that hard (example: Midnight Special is 3 chords and doesn't even have a guitar solo. You could literally nail it with one take).

Finally, you just know these dipshits are going to get up onstage (if anybody will actually give them a gig) in a t-shirt bulging with their gut, and cargo shorts, and goddam white new balance sneakers.

Sorry. I just hate these people so much. And I've never met them.
TheCatt
Site Admin

In Which I Am an Asshole

Post by TheCatt »

Well, maybe it plays in Wendell :D :D
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

In Which I Am an Asshole

Post by Leisher »

I have a special place in my heart for House of the Rising Sun. I also think of their set list, it's possibly the most recognizable today due to it's use in pop culture.

The Sundays did Wild Horses better than the Stones, imho.

Also, you rant on these guys, but I'll bet they would do well in Naples.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

In Which I Am an Asshole

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:49 pm The Sundays did Wild Horses better than the Stones, imho.
Can't argue. Also, Jane's Addiction did Sympathy better. And Tori Amos did Angie better.
Stranger

In Which I Am an Asshole

Post by Stranger »

Yes, what a boring set list. UGH..

Last year i joined a cover band for the first time, always played in original bands my whole life. Mostly was 70's and 80's music with some newer stuff sprinkled in. But every song was the most popular song by that band like Joan Jett- I love rock and roll. Fuck me i hate that song, why not play Bad Reputation or something else? Def Leppard - Pour Some Sugar on Me. Ok, not a bad song but how about Animal? Beasty Boys? you guessed it, Fight for your Right. CMon.. Their thing was "you gotta play what the people want" well shit, thats not what i want to hear and what crowd are you catering too?

So i went to the dive bar they were wanting to play one night with them and guess what songs the other bands were playing??!! I'm not kidding i heard at least 6-7 songs that were on our set list that night. And guess what kind of people were on the dance floor? Nobody under the age of 50 and they were all dudes missing half their teeth and fat disgusting trashy women with way too much saggy titties hanging out.

I quit that band the following week.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
thibodeaux

In Which I Am an Asshole

Post by thibodeaux »

Stranger wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:53 pm Joan Jett- I love rock and roll. Def Leppard - Pour Some Sugar on Me. Beasty Boys? you guessed it, Fight for your Right.

Their thing was "you gotta play what the people want" well shit, thats not what i want to hear and what crowd are you catering too?
And guess what kind of people were on the dance floor? Nobody under the age of 50
Believe it or not, I think that's a function of the venue. I have been in a cover band that played all 3 of those songs you listed...and at the hot venue downtown, it was hot girls on the dance floor. On the other hand, I've also played at venues where the only people were over 50.

Also, Leisher, "House of the Rising Sun" is shit and I will fight you IRL.
GORDON
Site Admin

In Which I Am an Asshole

Post by GORDON »

I also find that playlist pretty lame.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
thibodeaux

In Which I Am an Asshole

Post by thibodeaux »

Stranger, I used to agree with you. I've been in bands where it was "we're gonna play cool shit we want to play." That's definitely fun, and it is rewarding musically.

On the other hand, you might as well just stay in the jam room. When you're a cover band playing at a bar, and nobody's dancing, you're just background noise. And if you're not bringing in the hotties, why would the manager want you back?

I've been in both kinds of bands. I would WAY rather play "I Love Rock n Roll" to a dance floor full of hotties.
thibodeaux

In Which I Am an Asshole

Post by thibodeaux »

She loves rock n' roll:

She got the peaches I got the cream:

They fight for their right to pary:
TheCatt
Site Admin

In Which I Am an Asshole

Post by TheCatt »

I like how no one's looking at the bassist in these pics. :D :D :D
thibodeaux

In Which I Am an Asshole

Post by thibodeaux »

In the first two pics the girls are LITERALLY SINGING TO ME.
TheCatt
Site Admin

In Which I Am an Asshole

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:42 pm In the first two pics the girls are LITERALLY SINGING TO ME.
Oh, sorry, looked like a guitar in the picture. too blurry.
GORDON
Site Admin

In Which I Am an Asshole

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:52 pm
thibodeaux wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:42 pm In the first two pics the girls are LITERALLY SINGING TO ME.
Oh, sorry, looked like a guitar in the picture. too blurry.
Like their vision.

Bazinga.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Cakedaddy

In Which I Am an Asshole

Post by Cakedaddy »

The first one looks like she's going off on you. Something about being "just the bass" player.
thibodeaux

In Which I Am an Asshole

Post by thibodeaux »

Cakedaddy wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:45 pm The first one looks like she's going off on you. Something about being "just the bass" player.
Getting off on me you mean. IIRC we were actually playing “Your Love” by the Outfield...she wanted to use my love.