Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

Audio Tawk
Leisher
Site Admin

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

Post by Leisher »

2020 class causes controversy.

The first being that Pat Benatar has been left out again.

The second controversy is that the hall asked fans to vote on who they wanted in. Dave Matthews (ugh) won the fan vote by a wide margin, while Benatar finished in 2nd place. Neither got in...

As one fan asked, "Why bother asking fans to vote?"
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Dave Matthews (ugh) won the fan vote by a wide margin
This is why democracy is doomed.
Whitney Houston, Depeche Mode, the Notorious B.I.G., Nine Inch Nails, the Doobie Brothers, and T. Rex.
On the Topic of "Rock" - Whitney? BIG? DM is arguable.

Motorhead isn't there already? MC5 I can understand not being there.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

Post by Leisher »

It hasn't been "rock & roll" since day 1. It should be renamed to the Music Hall of Fame.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: 2020 class causes controversy.

The first being that Pat Benatar has been left out again.

The second controversy is that the hall asked fans to vote on who they wanted in. Dave Matthews (ugh) won the fan vote by a wide margin, while Benatar finished in 2nd place. Neither got in...

As one fan asked, "Why bother asking fans to vote?"
Well, who won the electoral college?

I'm not sure about Pat Benetar. She had a few hits in the 80s, and nothing since, she just hasn't died yet? Is that enough to get in?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: I'm not sure about Pat Benetar. She had a few hits in the 80s, and nothing since
Marie Curie had that one hit, then nothing since. You want to discount her? :D

Benatar was doing it when few women were. The hits she had still hold up today. She a huge icon for female empowerment and an inspiration to many female musicians. She belongs in the hall. Especially since the R&R HOF seems easier to get into than Madonna's panties.
GORDON
Site Admin

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

Post by GORDON »

Maybe? I was asking what the qualifications were. Having 3 songs on the radio 40 years ago doesn't seem "hall of fame" worthy. You have to let in every 1-hit wonder at that point.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

Post by Leisher »

Here's the list of who is in.

I don't think it's a stretch to say number of hit songs isn't a qualifier.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

Post by TheCatt »

It should be about influence more than anything, I'd say
It's not me, it's someone else.