Grammys

Audio Tawk
Leisher
Site Admin

Grammys

Post by Leisher »

Childish Gambino makes history.

The most interesting part is at the end of the article:
The Recording Academy has made an effort to diversify its membership amid complaints the Grammys have frequently failed to recognize rap and hip-hop artists in the major categories.
Earlier this week in an interview with the New York Times, longtime Grammy producer Ken Ehrlich acknowledged, "We continue to have a problem in the hip-hop world."
It's unclear if Childish Gambino's wins on Sunday change that.
Translation:
All the "Oscars are too white" stuff is heading to the Grammys.

They should be diverse, but they should start stipulating requirements for awards like creating your own music, percentage of song sampled, singing in its own categories away from rap, actual instruments being played, etc.

I say all this as if I give a fuck.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Grammys

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: They should be diverse, but they should start stipulating requirements for awards like creating your own music, percentage of song sampled, singing in its own categories away from rap, actual instruments being played, etc.
Why?

Art is art. You take other people's music and re-arrange it creatively, you deserve credit.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Grammys

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Art is art.
Not true.

I could point out a billion areas where politicians and lawyers have said that isn't true, but let me stick to logical statements:
A sculpture is different from a song.

Ok, obvious things aside, I would argue that not all songs are the same. If they wanted to truly be fair, they should eliminate "Album of the Year" and give each genre (qualify a genre must have over X in sales to have an award) a "Best Album". It really isn't fair to compare the albums of Metallica, Taylor Swift, BTS, Lil Dicky, Lionel Richie, and the SF philharmonic orchestra in the same category.

On a side note, I looked at that list and thought, why'd I list those acts? Here's why: My favorite, would bang (always the first I think of as I don't listen to that stuff), just saw them on HQ trivia, my current fav rapper, no idea why Lionel popped into my head first...might be the Snickers commercial he did, and they did the S&M album with Metallica.

And yeah, re-arranging stuff creatively could absolutely be given an award, but I don't think it should be in the same category as a band who writes and plays their own music. you could, literally, have a band competing against itself.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Grammys

Post by TheCatt »

So boring that one person brought his Switch
GORDON
Site Admin

Grammys

Post by GORDON »

I respect that.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Grammys

Post by Leisher »

I'm not saying Grammys are super easy to win, but the Obamas have three of them.
GORDON
Site Admin

Grammys

Post by GORDON »

They're Kim Jong-un up in there. Did you hear he always golfs an 18 every time he plays? He's almost as amazing and stunningly beautiful as Michelle Obama.
Leisher
Site Admin

Grammys

Post by Leisher »

I think I've got to agree with Amanda...
TheCatt
Site Admin

Grammys

Post by TheCatt »

Eh, would have liked to see the whole song. Unfamiliar with his music.
GORDON
Site Admin

Grammys

Post by GORDON »

Sucked.
Cakedaddy

Grammys

Post by Cakedaddy »

Who told him Andy Dicks wig from Old School was a good idea?

Sounds like just another rap song to me.
Leisher
Site Admin

Grammys

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: Sounds like just another rap song to me.
I disagree with that. There are some excellent rap songs. This was more like electronic music mixed with Moby.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Grammys

Post by TheCatt »

I like some rap, I like some electronica, I like some Moby. I don't like a fair amount of EDM cu it feels like you should be rolling to enjoy it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Grammys

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Grammys

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:41 am Bruno Mars begging to sing at the Grammys.
No no no no no no no no no.

I mean, I don't watch the grammy's, but still...
Troy

Grammys

Post by Troy »

Time to come out as a Dua Lipa stan. Totally deserved the Grammy.

Future Nostalgia kicks ass. The songs actually get better - up until 11 or so.

and hey, she's fucking hot.

Last edited by Troy on Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
GORDON
Site Admin

Grammys

Post by GORDON »

I see her cheesecake pics on reddit all the time, but have never heard her music. I may have to check her out.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Grammys

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:10 am I see her cheesecake pics on reddit all the time, but have never heard her music. I may have to check her out.
Never seen her pics. But I've been listening to her since I read this post.

Some song sounded familiar, but I didn't keep track of which one. "Don't Start Now," maybe
GORDON
Site Admin

Grammys

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:02 am
GORDON wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:10 am I see her cheesecake pics on reddit all the time, but have never heard her music. I may have to check her out.
Never seen her pics. But I've been listening to her since I read this post.

Some song sounded familiar, but I didn't keep track of which one. "Don't Start Now," maybe
Add /r celebhub to your feed. Then you'll get a lot of bikini pics, with occasional boobies. So NSFW if you're surfing a lot at your desk.
Leisher
Site Admin

Grammys

Post by Leisher »