Hamilton

Audio Tawk
Leisher
Site Admin

Hamilton

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: I thought everyone knew?
I mean, it's about a historical event involving white guys. Why would anyone assume the cast is mostly minority? Plus, I haven't heard anyone bitching about the casting of white historical figures with minority actors. (Which is something I'll be referencing the next time SJWs get mad at nerds for bitching about casting decisions.)
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Hamilton

Post by GORDON »

As long as people think racism only works one way, and millions do, it'll only get worse until a line is crossed, somehow.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Hamilton

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote: I thought everyone knew?
I mean, it's about a historical event involving white guys. Why would anyone assume the cast is mostly minority? Plus, I haven't heard anyone bitching about the casting of white historical figures with minority actors. (Which is something I'll be referencing the next time SJWs get mad at nerds for bitching about casting decisions.)
Well, you'll love that George III is a bumbling white guy.

But yeah, when Hamilton came out 3 years ago, part of the... cachet was that it's a) rap and b) multi-culturally cast.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Hamilton

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: But yeah, when Hamilton came out 3 years ago, part of the... cachet was that it's a) rap and b) multi-culturally cast.
Which now completely explains why some people are so gaga over it, while others are more in the "it's good, but not that good" camp.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Hamilton

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote: But yeah, when Hamilton came out 3 years ago, part of the... cachet was that it's a) rap and b) multi-culturally cast.
Which now completely explains why some people are so gaga over it, while others are more in the "it's good, but not that good" camp.
I went with my wife, a good friend, and his daughter (who loves the music, has played it a million times, etc). My friend did not know it was (almost) all minority cast. His first reaction upon realizing it was "Ohhhh, people like this cuz of white guilt," and was concerned, but ultimately thought it was excellent.

It's really, really good. Granted, I've only seen a handful of professional musicals: Les Mis, Phantom, Fiddler, Wicked, Book of Mormon, and Hamilton. At least, those are what I can remember.

I'd rank them:
1. Book of Mormon
2. Hamilton (technically better than Book of Mormon in terms of construction/music/lyrics/etc, but BoM was FUCKING HILARIOUS)
3. Les Mis
4. Phantom
5. Wicked
6. Fiddler
Leisher
Site Admin

Hamilton

Post by Leisher »

Of those, I only haven't seen Les Mis. I've also seen Spamalot (hilarious), The Scarlet Letter (play not a musical), Annie, Lion King, The Producers, Jersey Boys (awesome), Shrek, The Wizard of Oz, Little Mermaid Jr, Flat Stanley, Oliver, Guys and Dolls, have tickets to see Elf next month, Flat Stanley, Horton Hears a Who, I'm forgetting a Disney one, Sound of Music, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Mary Poppins, Evil Dead (rivals BoM for humor and songs.), and I'm sure there are others.

I started this list and I'm amazed I've seen so many shows. Many of those I've seen more than once and/or different versions/casts.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Hamilton

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I started this list and I'm amazed I've seen so many shows.
I mean, I always knew you were gay. But it's good that you know, now, too.
Leisher
Site Admin

Hamilton

Post by Leisher »

If I was gay, I clearly had opportunities to explore that. I've known Gordon and Cake for years. Oh, and all these shows...
GORDON
Site Admin

Hamilton

Post by GORDON »

Netflix passwords don't lie.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
thibodeaux

Hamilton

Post by thibodeaux »

I have not SEEEN Hamilton live but I've listened to the soundtrack.

It's garbage. There's one good song: "You'll be Back" (sung by King George).

The rap is subpar (even my teenage son says it is trying to sound like Eminem from 20 years ago).

Even disregarding the Hate Whitey bit, it's not worth my time or money to see this. Or even listen to it more than once.
thibodeaux

Hamilton

Post by thibodeaux »

And for the record, Book of Mormon was kind of dumb too. IMHO.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Hamilton

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Netflix passwords don't lie.
Right?
thibodeaux wrote: And for the record, Book of Mormon was kind of dumb too. IMHO.
Oh, hey Malcolm.
thibodeaux

Hamilton

Post by thibodeaux »

[video][/video]
TheCatt
Site Admin

Hamilton

Post by TheCatt »

Lol. 1) I was 14 years old, too, once. I would never trust a 13 to 15 year old's opinion on much of anything. 2) I enjoyed it, the end.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Hamilton

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Oh, and all these shows...
So... many shows... The closet is deep
Leisher
Site Admin

Hamilton

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Netflix passwords don't lie.
Sorry ladies, passwords work opposite of nicknames. You can’t give yourself a nickname, but passwords represent YOUR true desires and fantasies.

Thib is right about Hamilton. I keep hearing my kids listen to it and the songs aren’t great. Its popularity is clearly more white guilt than quality.

However, Thib is wrong about BoM. Best musical EVA!
TheCatt
Site Admin

Hamilton

Post by TheCatt »

Watching the Apple version now. The person we saw as Hamilton was better than Miranda. But, I guess he cast himself.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Hamilton

Post by TheCatt »

Solid show. We watched with the kids. Had to explain what a whore and a bastard were. And, the politics of the era
TheCatt
Site Admin

Hamilton

Post by TheCatt »

Act I is pretty awesome. I’ll be honest, I love the American revolution. I got chills watching the show. Reminds me of what America can (used to be able to?) do. One of my favorite games from back in the day is Colonization. Act II is much more personal, and less revolutionary and fun. All the bad things happen.
Leisher
Site Admin

Hamilton

Post by Leisher »

CNN opinion piece: The problem with Hamilton.

On a different, yet related note, in the wake of all these white people stepping down from doing voices of POC, isn't it hypocritical for POC to play historical whites?