Steve Perry

Audio Tawk
Leisher
Site Admin

Steve Perry

Post by Leisher »

First new song in 20 years. I don't like it. Way too generic and bland.

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Steve Perry

Post by GORDON »

Taking Easy Listening to a whole new level.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Steve Perry

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: First new song in 20 years. I don't like it. Way too generic and bland.
You're saying... about the guy who did "Oh, Sherrie"
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Steve Perry

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: First new song in 20 years. I don't like it. Way too generic and bland.
You're saying... about the guy who did "Oh, Sherrie"
Good point. I heard that again recently and was telling my daughter to wait for a high note that never came.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

Steve Perry

Post by Vince »

I don't dislike him, but I was never as impressed with him as everyone else seemed to be.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Steve Perry

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote: I don't dislike him, but I was never as impressed with him as everyone else seemed to be.
He was excellent with Journey, but someone else must have been writing his songs.

One thing about the music business is how many singers sabotage themselves with shitty song choices, while bad singers have great careers because songs are written to their strengths.
GORDON
Site Admin

Steve Perry

Post by GORDON »

He got throat cancer couple decades ago, I'm guessing he's just now getting his shit back. He sounded like shit for a long time.
Vince

Steve Perry

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote:He was excellent with Journey, but someone else must have been writing his songs.

One thing about the music business is how many singers sabotage themselves with shitty song choices, while bad singers have great careers because songs are written to their strengths.
That may be why I was never super impressed. His voice really fit for the songs by Journey, but I was never a huge fan of theirs. Don't dislike them, just kind of neutral.
GORDON wrote: He got throat cancer couple decades ago, I'm guessing he's just now getting his shit back. He sounded like shit for a long time.
Looking through Wiki on his career, I'm not seeing any mention of throat cancer. He had a melanoma mole removed, but that was in 2013. He had a hip replacement from a hiking injury in the early 90's. Looking at his career, it seems like he had a string of life events that sort of made him an unreliable bandmate. Not really his fault, for most of it. Injuries and the death of his mother and that sort of thing. Some people bounce back pretty quick from those things and some don't.
GORDON
Site Admin

Steve Perry

Post by GORDON »

Hmm. I thought that was a well-known thing. I wonder if my memory is crossing that with someone else.
Vince

Steve Perry

Post by Vince »

I remember people saying that he was trying to not overtax his voice and that was why we hadn't heard from him in so long. Don't recall the medical reason for this statement from others. But now that I think about it, I wonder if this was an urban legend that popped up to explain why he was absent from the music scene for so long?