Rust - A thread for dying

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:17 am Just kidding. None of that happened.
You dick! I was engrossed in that story.

I did run up to an airdrop in the middle of a firefight many moons ago while I was a new spawn. I was able to grab a couple of items and bolt before anyone noticed. I've been at drops a few times without guns where I ran to get to it first, grabbed whatever gun was in there, and immediately fired at others coming up to it to scare them off.
Cakedaddy wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:17 am I'm going to study up and figure out how to get the blue and red cards so I can go do oil. I feel like I could make an attempt on cargo as well. I feel like no one ever goes for that.
I am way behind on the puzzles. I knew how to do nukes and train yard, but I think they've changed things a lot during my break. So I have no idea how to do oil and I've never been on the cargo ship. I think you're right that people don't do it often enough.
Cakedaddy wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:17 am It's far less fun, and much more frustrating playing solo.
It is, but isn't. For me, being in a group feels like "forced participation", which immediately kills some of the fun. I have to focus on the game and can't also watch a movie or something. Most of the time I don't even wear a headset. That's legit my biggest issue with multi. I just want the freedom to do whatever, and if I'm with a team, I don't want to let them down.

That being said, I believe I can be talked into joining up for a wipe. What server are you playing on? I was on that "Super Chill Detroit", which has around 30 folks on at any given time, but had a really bad wipe. I moved to Grandma's Basement because I wanted something more casual so I could work on bases. Smaller online pop, but still folks out killing each other. I think it'd be the perfect type of server to learn and practice all the puzzles on.

Currently, I'm halfway through building a duo base and just getting my foot in the door, in terms of items. I'd like to get this base done and then build that hemp base in the Frost video you posted. I want to figure out the farming of hemp, and how big of an operation you need to become profitable.
Cakedaddy wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:19 am One thing that I discovered which makes me nervous. You don't dig up the stash. It comes up just by you looking at it! I was wondering why they seemed to randomly pop up sometimes even when I wasn't pressing E. But, I figure they are off the path enough that no one will be milling about there. You have to look at them for a few seconds for it to happen.
I mentioned this a while ago, but I created a hideaway in the most secure part of my base once that nobody has ever done before (that I'm aware of). The second a YouTube video is posted about it, it would be the end of it. I actually thought it was gone from the game, but last night I ran into the rock formation that allows it. Holler if you want to see it.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

I'll be back in Rust in a wipe or two.

I get the same all/nothing dopamine hit in Noita as Rust but nobody off-lines me or calls me the n word.

In light of the fake story from before. Here's a real one from last wipe...

I ran a new server, 150 max pop on wipe day, so mid pop and a smaller map.

First hour of wipe, everyone is scrounging. I get some stone and scrap after getting through a few small fights.

Drop a 2x1 with airlock in the desert near oil, make a nailgun to go with my bow, step out of my base...

And right in the rocks around my new spot a homeless 3-man pulls up. My brain flashes *2 bows and a GUN*.

I go evasive and dodge, but aggressively so, sending arrows. Take a hit but land enough on the gun guy that he turns and runs for some reason (no bullets). I down him with a bow shot to the back.

Two baddies left standing, one seems to know how to use his bow, so I'm dodging. I peek and catch the non-bow shooter standing still picking up his friend. My next arrow picks out his head and he's done. Follow-up arrow to finish off the down guy, but take one back for my trouble. Two baddies out but I'm really low and bleeding.

Bandages, and rocks for cover, I circle around the location of the bodies and presumably still the player. After a few bandages I crouch up with the nailgun. I surprise bow-kid, who shits himself and runs around wildly but the nails take him down.

Check the bodies.... no empty slots on ANY... loaded by any standard, but for the standard of wipe day it's god tier. Materials for a 3-man stone and metal door starter base. Every comp you can find in boxes. A custom with no bullets. I craft more boxes and loot frantically expecting a counter. But no need - these were rich hobos and they were all back at the beach or switching servers in rage.

That was the play that made the wipe. I felt so weird... like what could I do next?... I didn't even log back in for a while.

I eventually did. Turned the materials into oil guns and cards, hit oil and did cargo eventually.

I even spent one day building a super secure 2x3 bunker with high qual to store all my loot in... but it got raided before I could even move in.

So I just lived in the 2x1 all wipe. Never really got any attention I couldn't handle. Had enough guns to start a civil war.

Eventually I learned turrets, and experimented with ringing my base with two story single triangle foundation pillboxes. I made like 10 of them, (small battery, solar panel, turret, gun, 2k stone and wood) and had them all facing my base. Mostly bolt turrets, which do 40 dmg a pop.

I built a helipad and flew it around. Found out if any wheel glitches through the wall of your hangar the heli will decay, but it was just scrap at that point. It all wiped anyway.

So yeah, good wipe, I burned out... but in a good way. I'll be back.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Real nice looking round of free twitch skins coming up this week. Another girl streamer garage door skin? She's an OG rust streamer tho so I guess it's cool. The art makes it look like she has a mustache.

The fucking rock pie is incredible, even better than the coconut.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I feel like the one dude doesn't want to give away any more doors. Hasn't played Rust in 2 days? I was about 70% on that one.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Waylen streamed for a few hours tonight to help people finish getting his drop. He didn't do much. Just dorked around. Was simply giving people one more chance to get it. But boy were people pissed when he logged off and they got there too late. Even he was saying, "The good thing about this is all these negative people were only here for the drop, so they won't be back tomorrow!"

He admitted that he should have timed things differently. He streamed for 11 days straight, and took a 2 day break this week. He should have taken the break before the drop started. He did kind of waste two days of the marketing tool he had.

I also got the hotdog because why not. It was there. I didn't get the bow though. I would have used that.

Looking at the bow guy. It looks like he hasn't streamed in 5 days?
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Got my first blue and red cards tonight. Uneventful, but stressful because I have to keep looking at the guide and matching buildings to pictures. Will be easier and faster next time. That was what I needed to run oil! It was late, but I just couldn't wait. Hurried up and grabbed a ton of meds and ammo and headed over. Got there and killed the first guy. Pulled up and they didn't shoot at all. Smooth so far. Loot. Lets chop this guy up for cloth. No knife. Nothing to chop with. Awesome. I move on hoping to find something to collect cloth with. Kill a few scientists, but I'm burning through my meds having no cloth. I use my last two heals after killing most of the scientists with nothing to gather with. I use my full health status to head back home. Now I need a bunch more low grade to make more meds with. I'll get there some day! Glad this is a two week server and doesn't wipe tomorrow. My slow pace needs more than 1 week!

At one point, I was down to 2 health with one pushing. I was able to scramble behind some crates and hide. Healed up and shot him in the back.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I am having a brutal month. Got offlined last night. I've been on the server all of 2 days. The worst part is that it was by a group. Yes, a group on a server whose average online population is under 10 people. Groups dominating a non-official server is what kills those servers. That's why the best ones who have been around forever ban such things.

When Troy returns we should head to this server and remove them. :D
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Hell. We don't even need Troy. Just need to spend a few hours mining sulfur and offline them back. After all, what they are doing doesn't require skill.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

True, and I might be down for that, but it's pretty fortuitous timing for me. I have a big assignment to work on that's due today, I have a midterm tomorrow, a tax appointment tomorrow, and then gaming with you tomorrow night. I might be heading back to Cleveland Saturday or my wife is, in which case I'll be on dad duty all day. So time is short at the moment.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:52 am Yes, a group on a server whose average online population is under 10 people. Groups dominating a non-official server is what kills those servers. That's why the best ones who have been around forever ban such things.
Totally, there's some level of low pop - say less than 30 online.... where explosives become really easy to get with no-one at airdrops and crates... but there aren't any bases to use them on. It's kind of a shitty situation for everyone involved really. Everyone got hammers but there are so few nails.

Once you get to a little bit higher pop (50-100), that issue goes away a little, because there are more bases and more risks in raiding. Then the issue becomes to balance security with flashing your bases wealth.

If anyone sees a gleam of metal or higher material they will pick your base over any other. Always make it look small and made of stone unless you are no-lifing a weekend with a crew of pvpers and doing the compound thing, or just are bored and ready to lose the base.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:52 am When Troy returns we should head to this server and remove them. :D
If you really want to fuck with them and know where they live, build a fake, small, all metal bunker near them with no loot and just a note that says "Fuck You" and seal it with a few days of upkeep.

Oh and this is one more thing I noticed.

When I get to the stage where I have a multi base "complex" ... heli, refinery, boathouse, and main base. The outer buildings have NEVER gotten raided. The times I've logged in full pvp kit in the refinery and logged back in to find a TC-less main base is now a half dozen.

It makes for some interesting scenarios. Like what do you do when you log back in and have a heli, an ak pvp kit... but no furnaces, tools, or usable base? Fun times.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Tried to run oil. Died to M2 heavy. Tried twice to get back to my stuff and he'd catch me. The rig just respawned the basic scientists. Time to redo everything.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Cakedaddy wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:16 pm Tried to run oil. Died to M2 heavy. Tried twice to get back to my stuff and he'd catch me. The rig just respawned the basic scientists. Time to redo everything.

The absolute worst fucking scientist. Don't think I didn't eat massive L's learning how to do them too. Last wipe I fell to death on rig with an L96 trying to be James Bond. Recovered though.

Solo oil M2 heavy tips:

Avoid going toe to toe with heavies. You don't have the luxury of a buddy to pick you up. So shoot them from behind when they can't see you, peak for their first shots and then duck, land a few when you can get their legs or outside hit boxes that won't draw fire.

If you see they are starting to overwhelm you at the bottom of the third level stairs, turn around and jump down to level 2, where the food crate is. Heavies can't jump so you buy yourself time. You can heal and reposition there and they will trickle down slowly to you one-by-one. You can also see them through the grate ceiling above and use the boxes to shoot ankles and hitboxes.

If you have a rifle, you can start the crate and shoot a few until it gets unsafe on the upper levels with Heavies, and then hop back in your boat. Boat around the rig and pop heavies from range. The crate takes 15m anyway. Depending on server it is good practice to look around a lot between shots.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

New drops about to start. I see Ash is one of them. DEFINITELY watching that one on mute. Is that her real voice, or does she use an app to change it?
Troy

Post by Troy »

Cakedaddy wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:55 pm New drops about to start. I see Ash is one of them. DEFINITELY watching that one on mute. Is that her real voice, or does she use an app to change it?
I mean her on-screen persona is a animatronic? cartoon? character that seems to match what she does and says. I'd say the voice changer is a lower bar than that :lol:

Apparently she has like 2k hours in Rust and has a bigger following then any big Rust streamer I know, mostly for other games. I remember hearing her in Welyn's clips well before the OTV server. Weirdo for sure though.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I figure she's just too self conscious to show herself. Plus, being a female in a boys world, you KNOW she has to put up with a lot of BS. I'd probably try to keep my real self private as much as possible too. But damn. Pick a better voice (assuming it's fake). But it does match the avatar thing she uses.

When I was watching, she had far fewer viewers. HOWEVER, that was compared to the people offering skins. So, we'll see what they look like this week.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Mammoth up first. Got no armored door skins.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I'm doing the SAR. Was hoping for a glowing front sight. I don't think it does.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Watching these streamers, I have to wonder. At what point do you regret this life choice. I mean, I like playing games. But to have to do it day in/day out. I feel like anything else, I'd get burned out. If you could, would you do it?
Troy

Post by Troy »

Cakedaddy wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:52 pm Watching these streamers, I have to wonder. At what point do you regret this life choice. I mean, I like playing games. But to have to do it day in/day out. I feel like anything else, I'd get burned out. If you could, would you do it?
Hell no. I can't imagine dealing with the fans and worse.