Rust - A thread for dying

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Heard some booms and went naked to check it out. It got dark, so I was able to get pretty close. I called out the coordinates in chat and some people talked of countering. By the time daylight came, the raiders were gone and it looked like they just ran out of satchels. So the counters became the raiders. This one dude had an endless supply of satchels. Went through 4 doors, two garage doors, and used a few as grenades to take out turrets. We did some soft side spearing as well to get into two loot areas. The guy that brought all the satchels looted first, but left some good stuff. I ended up with about 8 sars, a spaz, a ton of components to make more SARs, road sign armor, and some other stuff. Got the key stuff to setup lights at the base. Oh, and a rocket launcher, but no rockets. Had enough stuff that it took 3 trips to depot it all. (side note: During the raid, after busting down the 4 doors and getting to the TC, pretty much all we got were rocks/metal/wood. There was a lot of it, but that was pretty much it. The guy with the satchels was pretty happy with that. In my head though, it took him 2 times longer to get the sulfur than it did this guy to get the stone and wood. Denial that he just wasted a ton of materials?)

My stashes are holding up so far. I'm just waiting to log in and see them all dug up due to hackers being able to see them. My base has stuff, but NOT worth raiding. Installed armored double doors tonight too. It's going to cost them a LOT to get in. But, on a low pop server where resources come easy. . . what isn't worth it? But in the end, I know they won't have gotten anything good and I have enough stuff stashed that I can build again immediately.

Tried to do Oil again but got countered. I was able to kill one of them (Head, arm, head and he was killed), but his friend got me. You know this is legit this time because 1. I lost. 2. I was quick and uneventful!

After the raid, I went farming for scrap so I could get my tier 3 work bench and make the armored doors. I researched all road sign armor, hoody, pants, so I can gear up better.

Last thing I did was clean up my base. Chests were a mess and installed lights.

Now it's time to get raided. As I logged off, I heard booms in the distance. It seems it was someone else's turn tonight. Considered countering, but logged instead because it's late.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:59 pm If you really want to fuck with them and know where they live, build a fake, small, all metal bunker near them with no loot and just a note that says "Fuck You" and seal it with a few days of upkeep.
Literally what I did on that Super Chill Detroit. Repaired my base, despawned everything, and left a note in a wooden box that says "Go fuck yourself :)"
Cakedaddy wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:55 pm New drops about to start.
Thanks for the heads up. I got all the ones I wanted last time. Still bummed I missed the sofa though. I do love that jackpot satchel.

bchillz is the first streamer doing a subathon who is actually adding time per sub he gets. Brilliant to do when people are trying to get drops.

Quick question about skins: The Rust skin store always has their featured skins, but the large selection of old stuff they used to have is gone? If not, how do I find it? I used to like to go through there and buy stuff, but I'm having trouble locating it.
Cakedaddy wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:52 pm Watching these streamers, I have to wonder. At what point do you regret this life choice. I mean, I like playing games. But to have to do it day in/day out. I feel like anything else, I'd get burned out. If you could, would you do it?
In a heartbeat and have actually considered it. (Not doing it as a job, but just streaming for giggles.) However, if it was my job, I think the hardest part would be everything you do offline. The gig itself would keep fresh by simply switching games. Of course, you'd have to build an audience who would follow you from game to game.
Cakedaddy wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:12 am Now it's time to get raided. As I logged off, I heard booms in the distance. It seems it was someone else's turn tonight. Considered countering, but logged instead because it's late.
This is EXACTLY what happened to me and my situation when I got offline raided the other night.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Got the pie, the SAR, and the armored door already, as well as, the three additional drops. Now I'm watching the chick with the garage door.

She was legit getting PISSED at people talking about how the girl on the door has a moustache.

If you look at the closeup, it's just her upper lip.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

My Christmas lights I got way back when start at $74 in the Rust shop. Holy shit...
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

heheh Well, if you don't zoom in, it DOES look like a mustache.

And of course her chat is filled with:
You're very beautiful.
You're hot
So gorgeous
etc
etc
etc

Dudes are so desperate. And you know she's eating it up!
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I didn't even realize the bottom three general skins were actual streamers too. Tuned in to the Killjoy mask one. It's some 12 year old girl who claims she's 23. Has 1200 viewers right now. Pretty annoying with all the 'bro' and 'dude' talk. But also the most relatable because she's not that good.

Ohhh. And she plays ANGRY! SUPER pissed she keeps getting killed and her teammates are out of position.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Shadowfrax was fun to watch. I've got the RPG guy on mute streaming right now.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Stay away from killjoy. She's a toxic little entitled shit. She just got done offline raiding someone. Then gets caught off guard by someone who kills her. She's "legit pissed" and can't figure out "Why is all this bad stuff happening to me?" I wanted to chat "Just offline someone else and you'll have your stuff back". I just left instead. Why engage?
Troy

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:10 pm Got the pie, the SAR, and the armored door already, as well as, the three additional drops. Now I'm watching the chick with the garage door.

She was legit getting PISSED at people talking about how the girl on the door has a moustache.

If you look at the closeup, it's just her upper lip.
This why you do Design Review. She’s kinda fucked. I don’t want a mustache lady door 😛
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Log in, asleep. Whew. No raid. Go to leave my base, and my exterior sheet metal doors are missing. I WAS RAIDED!! They came in through the boat doors. Which meant they had one extra door to blast through before getting to my core. The only thing they got was some unsmelted ores out of the furnaces. The armored double doors held!! I'm going to honey comb the outside now so they can't spend those same 16 satchels blasting through an outer wall. It's a 2x2 base and they used 16 satchels to get to my furnaces. They could have used 12 to get through an outer wall and get either my loot/TC room, or my level 3 work bench and bedroom which has backup gun/ammo/meds.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Went for two air drops. First one was just a random one. No contest. It landed RIGHT next to a base though. Thought for sure it had been called.

(this one's real Leisher)

Second was called. It was far and landed just before I got there. I heard two dudes talking about it on open mics in the game. I crouched in trying to stay behind cover. Just as they were about to be in (my) range, they spotted my head above the rocks.

"There's a dude! There's a dude!"
"Where?"
"310 310"

I'm crouching behind the rock and moving to my right. I get cut off by another rock and can't go around. So I double back to see them still standing next to the unlooted crate. We both open fire at about the same time. I land hits and so do they. I back off and start hitting meds. Two meds gets me heading too full health. Reload now. I ran all the way around to the right and open fire. I take one down. I hear him over the open mic "I'm down. I'm dead." I fire on the other guy as he runs into the base. I take cover and heal up again. I'm crouching and looking for him to peak from windows or the roof. Then two garage doors open on my side of the base and I see two turrets. Laaaaaame. But he exits the base to loot his friend. I can't see him as I was down hill a bit. I start creeping, and of course the M2 turret takes me out. I considered trying to shoot the turret out, but I didn't have that much ammo. So I just went for the player.

Fun fight. I called out the turrets as lame, but congratulated them on the fight. After a brief conversation, they offered my gear back. I considered letting them keep it so I didn't have to run all the way back, but I ended up taking them up on their offer. I only have components for one more Thompson. He kept my camo pants though! He said he thought they were cool. Oh, and my ammo of course.

Base is a mammoth of honeycomb now. Second story with metal roof over the core. Sweeter looking target, but still with little payout. Will be a good waste of time for anyone to try.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I need 50% on Ash, Budda, and SerWinter. Also need 100% on boxbox who hasn't been on once. I figure that one is going to be worth a lot in the store since so very few people will get it.

Trausi, DyannaTV, and Mammoth have been on non-stop. Props to them for making the most of the opportunity. Shadowfrax was on last night and Thursday night. He was pretty entertaining. He's the only one I have chosen to follow so far.

Also pretty pissed at Cake after last night. That asshole put Killjoy into my head, so I watched her stream for a minute. I now want that minute back. What a garbage human being. She talks like a toxic 13 year old boy. She's also a terrible player. I did get to enjoy watched her die twice pretty rapidly. I truly don't know why anyone would ever follow her.

Watching Ash was interesting. I'm not really sure what game she's playing, but it isn't Rust. She was with a big group of streamers doing a raid, and she not only did NOTHING to help, but she also was talking about anything but the raid. It was like she was playing Club Penguin or something. That being said, I understand the appeal. Not for me, but I get it. There's mystery behind her because she has the voice modulator (I hope that's what it is) and the cartoon representing her. The cartoon's emotions are kind of entertaining, and makes me wonder if there's a camera reading her face and then translating that to the cartoon. She also represents a completely different aspect of playing Rust that's not hardcore OR softcore. Plus, she's female, so lonely, horny guys think by watching, they have a shot.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I think most of her talking is just to her stream. She's often talking about random stuff on top of the others playing Rust. But ya, she's often in her own little worlds. She's also a bit of an RP'er, maybe sarcastically. Was watching her at one point and she came across a bear trap. She emphatically announced it's presence in game and was making a big deal about everyone being VERY CAREFUL around the bear trap. There were some other things like that as well. Occasionally, she'll participate in what the group is doing, but often, they will be in a fight with others players, calling shots and locations, etc. She's running around picking up hemp or checking random backpacks on the ground talking about who knows what, paying zero attention to the action around her. She has a blissful ignorance about her that people seem to find appealing. I think other streamers hang with her because she has such a large following and is actually a nice person.

I think killjoy appeals to 13 year old boys. I would follow someone who isn't god level like most of the others because I'd be able to relate to them and would probably learn more because I could actually emulate what they are doing. But she has such a shit personality that it wouldn't be her. Ask your daughters to watch her and ask them how many kids at school act like her. I bet a lot do.
The other night, I was talking in global chat about offline raids, etc. Someone asked if I was 30. I said no. They said "You type like my English teacher". I said "You mean fast"? But I know he meant in complete sentences, proper punctuation (or close to is), spelling out my words, and using standard pronouns instead of bro and dude.

The box guy's schedule says he doesn't plan to start playing Rust until like Tuesday or something. Which makes sense since he's got everyone's attention right now. Also, I don't think you can trade or sell these skins, so they are technically worthless.

Like I said, the only thing I don't like about Shadow is the "Pie, pie, pie, pie" shit, and the VERY intrusive celebration graphics when someone subscribes.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:15 pm She has a blissful ignorance about her that people seem to find appealing. I think other streamers hang with her because she has such a large following and is actually a nice person.
Like I said, I get her appeal. It's not for me, but there was something about her that made me watch for a bit.
Cakedaddy wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:15 pm I think killjoy appeals to 13 year old boys.
She's garbage. End of story.
Cakedaddy wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:15 pm Also, I don't think you can trade or sell these skins, so they are technically worthless.
You can't now, but who knows. Maybe they allow it in a year or so?
Troy

Post by Troy »

Buying the Alien Red AK skin last summer for 60 bucks was like the best financial investment I’ve ever made in a game. I thought I was being an idiot at the time but wanted to be cool like a streamer who used it to shoot in the dark :)
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I heard you had that. Nice.

Ash just won me over. She got on and I am there trying to get my second hour. She went off on a long speech bashing typical Rust assholes being rude in chat, and I agreed with every word. It had a lot more to it, obviously, but nothing she said was wrong. Also, I really want that software she's using to animate herself.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

My best investment was $600 for a UO account that was loaded with houses. Flipped them for around $2400.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I built back up today on the one server. No idea where the baddies live though.

I did find another base that made me a bit suspicious. When my base was raided, they came in the cheapest way possible. They also didn't bother going through any additional areas. Just straight to the main loot room. I found another raided base that was also raided in the exact same way.

If I'm not raided tomorrow, I think I will pop a movie on and do a search of the server. I want to see if other bases are also "perfectly" raided.

Also, BoxBox was on tonight. I got the box. Finishing off Buddha as I type this. That will complete this round for me.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I'm missing about 15 minutes with the pie guy, and then I will have them all as well.

HUGELY productive day today. Massively. Scooty joined, and with a second person, things got way easier and faster. He did some scrap/material runs to not feel like a complete freeloader. I used the scrap to research some good stuff for this and next wipe. We hopped in the boat to go do oil when the cargo ship caught our attention. So we did that instead. I was driving the boat and he easily hopped on the ship. It took me three tries to get on, but made it. There were a couple of close calls with each of us going down, but not dying (separately of course). Activated the crates and stood guard up top. No counters and we got some really good loot. Highlights:LR, 2 bolt, 1 AK, air drop. We depot that stuff and then head to oil as originally planned. We sniped a few from the water, then hit the rig. We were surprised to find a heavy where he didn't belong! Scooty ended up dying to both the heavy, and a bit of friendly fire. He moved over directly in my line of fire and down he went. Had to go pick him up from shore real quick. We finished clearing the scientists and found the crate still there and all ready unlocked. Made for a very quick oil run as there were only 3 heavies that we had to deal with and didn't have to wait out the timer. Another Thompson, and maybe an AK. I don't remember, but it was pretty good. Then Scooty really wanted to raid something. I HATE offline raids. When he picked the abandoned base down the beach from us, I agreed. He didn't know it was abandoned, but I knew there had not been anyone there for days. He collected the resources, I crafted some satchels. 10 satchels later, we were in the core of the 1x2. Empty crate!! Blew up the TC for a couple K of wood and stone. No body or bed. Talked about turning this into a refinery base. Cargo came up again, and he wanted to go. But it was late and I didn't want to commit to that. So we did oil again. This time, neither of us went down, but it took longer because it was a full run. Got more guns and stuff. In the end, we have enough guns for weeks. I found and researched an armored door, so I beefed up the base even more. I left sheet metal on the outer doors, but all inside are armored. Wanted to give the appearance of a low profile maybe? Plus, they won't come prepared for 5 armored doors. Oh ya, we did both airdrops as well in there and got another bolt and some other decent stuff. Along the way, we picked up 5 customs as well.

Massive stockpile of high end gear stashed outside in stashes.

Troy, this time, I have all the goods waiting if you want to just jump on and look for some pvp.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Busy busy busy night.

Head some booms and went to investigate. Saw a group of at least three tearing through a base. I THOUGHT Scooty was in position and opened fire. Took one out. The other two turned on me and took me out. Scooty was at the wrong base. . . he was supposed to be coming from the flank, but there was another base behind the one being raided. Noob. But he moved in on the base to try to get one or two. He got one shot off. . . with his bolt. . . and they took him out. Close range with a bolt. . . Oh well. He geared up and went back. By the time he got there, they were gone and he picked over the scraps and got some good stuff. I went back as well and loaded up on random resources and gear. By then, it was pretty picked over. We heard more booms close by. Same group, new base. So, we start preparing because we felt we'd be next. Started grabbing gear and made some stashes. Ran outside to see two heli's heading our way. They opened fire and I had to run back in. Damn. Had a LOT of good stuff on me!! Oh well. Still have a ton stashed outside. We hunker down and wait. The booms start and we keep waiting. Trying to figure out which wall they are trying to enter. They ended up blowing into the boat area's air lock. So they are looking at an armored door and a sheet metal. They blow those out and are in the side hall. That interior wall is sheet metal. At this point, Scooty opens the outer airlock door to try to get some. He might have gotten one, but they got him. Outer airlock door was open. They blasted the inner door and were in the core with the furnaces. Still surrounded by armored doors and sheet metal walls. We open the hatch on the armored door and blast one that came in. He goes down. Someone shoots Scooty in the head through the hatch and he goes down. I hear them milling about outside, but don't see them at the door. I start opening and closing an interior door trying to bait one in to check things out. They don't come in. So I open the armored door that was between me and them and run and close the outer airlock door. This gives me time to build another armored door for the inside airlock door. Scooty spawns back in the base and grabs his gear. I got an M2 off the guy we killed. They were not able to get in to loot him or Scooty. It's getting dark now, and they took out the battery, so no lights. Couldn't see anything. We hear more C4 on the doors and the booms start. Scooty goes out and opens the latch on the airlock door to try to hit some, and they kill him immediately. The doors are still closed. But I didn't know he was opening it and they instantly kill me too. I respawn and frantically gear back up. Just as I do, they shoot again and down I go. The hatch was still open. Forgot to close it while I looted myself. And that was it. By the time my spawn timer was done, they blasted through the last armored doors into the rest of the core.

Ran back to base and started talking to the one they had posted on the hill top as look out. While talking to her, the rest of the group showed up. A little bit of trash talk from one of them, but not too bad. I asked "Did you leave us anything so we can do this again tomorrow night?" One said yes and started dropping some stuff on the ground. Said I could have it. But it was him just showing a bunch of sulfur. Said I didn't need any of that and didn't pick it up. Then the one that had been doing the trash talk shot me. By the time I got back to the base, they were gone. There was a new door and lock on the front. I asked in chat if they were going to give me the codes or if they were griefing us off the server. They gave the code and we got back in. They left a bunch of stuff because really. At this point, they don't need anything. They are just burning through the 2 weeks worth of sulfur they've stocked piled. So, still have a tone of tier two guns, materials for base upkeep and components to make tier 3 weapons if we want. And that's what they left in the base. I still have 9 stashes of high end loot outside. So really, doing just fine. However, I'd be surprised if they don't off line us tomorrow and take what's left. If that happens, I'll just make a 1x2 so I can have some furnaces and a workbench to keep making ammo and practicing oil and cargo. I'll leave everything in stashes.

Server rules say no more than 5 people in a group, but it's not enforced. Although there were only 5 tonight, I know there are others in their group based on chat. How do you know you suck at this game? You zerg on a low pop server! But at least I was there for it. Had NO chance of winning, but learned a bit. A very small bit because it was over so fast. But next one will be better! But bottom line, there is NO base you could build that would keep people out. They raided 3 bases before getting to ours, and raided 2 more after. They had SO MUCH demo ammo, nothing would have stopped them.