Rust - A thread for dying

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I'm watching Frost fly these choppers and I have no idea how he's doing it. I can successfully always take off, but then I either lose control or have yet to successfully land.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:40 pm I'm watching Frost fly these choppers and I have no idea how he's doing it. I can successfully always take off, but then I either lose control or have yet to successfully land.
A lot of the work is in the mouse. You have to constantly think about keeping the rotor tilted in the right direction and compensated for what you do with the AWSD keys.
Last edited by Troy on Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

There's a pvp server I practiced on. You are shooting missiles at each other, so it's pretty crazy. But you spawn in a helicopter and do nothing but fly them. Within a half hour, you'll have built some muscle memory that greatly helps your flying. I can confidently, and easily fly around the map. Landing on the other hand, is still pretty sketchy. I either need a big wide open space, or the time to come in real slow. Learning that you can just jump out at certain times to let the bird slam down on its own helps too. Kind of a controlled crash landing that doesn't hurt.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

During lunch I'm going to jump on a server like that and try the mouse here to see if there's any difference.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

Rust with some Trammel concessions coming next week:
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I don't mind the team size cap (although easily worked around so almost pointless).
Don't mind spawning in camps.
Not all loot is lost? This worries me. I'm also assuming you can turn these features on and off?
Troy

Post by Troy »

Cakedaddy wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:14 pm I don't mind the team size cap (although easily worked around so almost pointless).
Don't mind spawning in camps.
Not all loot is lost? This worries me. I'm also assuming you can turn these features on and off?
It will be a small subset of brand new official servers.
Troy

Post by Troy »

And it's about to get WAY easier to get geared up and/or buy things at safe zones:

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Watched Twitch streams this weekend for the Rust drops. (Watched = had them muted in a tab while I did other things)

The guy with the bow has me at 99% and stopped streaming. He hasn't gotten on in two days now. That's frustrating.

This current round are "OG" players/streamers and I noticed most of them have female characters. It made me curious about the random nature of how sex, race, etc. is assigned and if there was some link in length of game. But then I remembered that it's supposed to be linked to your Steam ID, so maybe the age of that?
Troy

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:35 am Watched Twitch streams this weekend for the Rust drops. (Watched = had them muted in a tab while I did other things)

The guy with the bow has me at 99% and stopped streaming. He hasn't gotten on in two days now. That's frustrating.

This current round are "OG" players/streamers and I noticed most of them have female characters. It made me curious about the random nature of how sex, race, etc. is assigned and if there was some link in length of game. But then I remembered that it's supposed to be linked to your Steam ID, so maybe the age of that?
All I know is that in a world of bald people, my guy has a glorious head of hair.

GGX will go back to streaming tomorrow prob. he's trying to balance the GTA RP server that is blowing up. I found this round ez, I've got most.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Ha! My Asian woman has hair above and below! She has a lesbian's haircut though, which is appropriate.

GGX did get on just a bit ago and I was able to close it out. The only ones I didn't bother trying for were the rock and the hot dog eoka. I now have all the rest.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

There are a LOT of lesbian looking females in the game. Are they trying to make a statement? You'd think there would be a couple of good looking avatars, but there aren't.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I've been practicing on the aim train servers quite a bit. Try to get in at least 30 minutes per day! I'm forcing myself to stick around for fights instead of just run, which is what I normally do. I'm going for drops even if they have people on them. I'm going into the monuments instead of just scrounging roadside stuff. It's all paying off in that I'm more competitive now. Unfortunately, I'm still way out gunned. Took on two guys with SMGs with my crossbow and pistol. I didn't know they had SMG until it started. But, I opened with a crossbow (missed) and switched to pistol and finished the first guy before they got a shot off. The other ran. I chased. He was hiding and lit me up with the SMG. I got shots off, but none landed as he was in the sun (it was just coming up). But the first one went down quick and I landed 7 out of 9 shots on him.

First encounter was at harbor. I had crossbow and pistol. He had a bow. I opened with the crossbow (hit) and finished with the pistol with one shot. He was only at 65 health when it started. I took some stuff and helped him back up.

Another was when I went hunting with my SAR (the one you buy at bandit). He was a naked spear raiding a wooden base. Got some wood off of him. It was just a single head shot while he speared the wall.

Last encounter was when I lost my SAR. I was at rail yard collecting not much of anything because I don't know where the good stuff spawns! I was recycling stuff. When I left the room, he was on the stairs just outside with an AK. I got a stomach shot off, but he had the DPS over me.

Then I tried making a boat base. And I did. Technically. But the boat area is NOT secure and getting the boat in and out is a real challenge.

I need to learn how to get the blue and red cards now.

Some day, if I keep practicing, I might be as good as Troy!
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Last thing I did was hide all my good stuff in stashes outside my base. Took a screenshot of their location.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:44 pm You'd think there would be a couple of good looking avatars, but there aren't.
I think that might be intentional or a happy coincidence. The devs probably didn't want this to turn into Second Life.

For fighting, I've taken people on and run for it. It always depends on the situation. If I'm loaded with shit, I usually try to bolt. If I have nothing, I'll give it a go. I've also just stood there and accepted fate when holding a rock and some dickheads roll up with AKs...

I should hit some of the aim train servers though. Some weapons I'm much better with than others. I can drill folks with the Thompson and I'm a surgeon with the shotguns, but I suck with the AK.

The thing that drives me nuts is watching videos of other people playing and watching them react to stuff I never saw. I don't know how they spot people sometimes. "Oh, there's a guy." Where?

I jumped on this month to try out some new builds. Got onto "Super Chill Detroit", which has about 25-35 active players at all times. Tried out a solo base that I liked, but didn't love. However, the real story is how brutal that server was for me. I have never died so much during a wipe before. It was also the opposite of "chill". Sometimes I play without sound, which doesn't help. Still, I think I died to every animal, a 3 man team once, one of my neighbors once, cold multiple times, the heli, the server rebooting THREE times, and we're 6 days into the wipe! Plus, I setup shop in a cold area way on the edge of the map expecting to be alone, but it seemed to be the hot spot of the server. The biggest clan on it setup nearby. I logged on late last night just to check on the build, and I had been mini-raided. It was a very unprofitable raid for them as to that point I didn't even have a gun. They also were pretty stupid as they were one reinforced glass window away from 20-30K sulfur ore, but didn't look close enough. To their credit, they didn't break everything and despawn all my stuff, which sounds like a weird thing to compliment, but I'm not a fan of the "scorched Earth" raid style. The goal should not be to make people quit the game. Anyway, I had had enough of that server, so I repaired my base, despawned everything myself and logged.

Onto builds, I had actually jumped on a build server earlier that night and spent a few hours there working on some build ideas.

The change made to the vending machines, where you can't put them against walls, was a major nerf for base building. Who does it hurt the most? Solo players and small groups. Easily my biggest complaint about Rust is how everything is geared more and more towards large groups.

The vending machines were a valuable storage container and extremely durable, so it could also be used to block access. That's now gone. Kind of a fuck you to the solos/small groups who have to build tight, heavily fortified bases versus the spread out compounds large groups can build.

Onto builds, I didn't love any of the ones I worked on last night. Every base design I encounter is missing something. I might fiddle around some more tonight with bases more geared towards small groups.
Cakedaddy wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:29 am Last thing I did was hide all my good stuff in stashes outside my base. Took a screenshot of their location.
Know that they now get revealed if someone builds a foundation on top of them.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:41 am I'm a surgeon with the shotguns,
Not that you need to be, at that range.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:32 am
Leisher wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:41 am I'm a surgeon with the shotguns,
Not that you need to be, at that range.
Did I mention I'm pregnant?
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

No chance of that. They are up against a cliff wall right outside my base.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Had a productive night. I built a second base on the opposite side of the map. I was able to farm a ton of scrap. I heard people killing the Bradley, but figured they were occupied and kept farming. I never did see them. I quickly got enough for another gun and went and bought that. Then I saw the crate at airfield and geared up to go after it. There was a huge fight going on, so I just crouched in hiding in bushes, etc. Got as close as I could and waited for a few to drop so I could catch the winners looting. There was never a really good time as there never was a winner. They kept pushing each other off the loot and keeping their own gear. So, I just went for it. The next time there was a big fight, I went in behind a couple and took them down pretty quickly with a few shots each. They landed some hits, but I healed as I went for cover. Didn't want to loot yet. Healed up and watched their friends respond. One was looting and got a headshot off on him and one more center mass and he went down. His friend started firing and I switched to him. The simple scope REALLY helps with aiming over the iron sights. He got me pretty low, but I was able to heal up. I waited to see if anyone else was going to respond, but no one was coming. So I sprinted in and looted as quick as I could. I was FULL and had to leave some good stuff. I checked the map and the crate was gone. I figure the others grabbed that and bugged out. I ran back to where I stashed my horse and booked it home.

Just kidding. None of that happened. :-) There was no one there and I got the crate uncontested. Got an MP5, a Thompson (which I researched). Armored double door. Explosives. Super heavy pants (the ones that make you walk real slow). And some other stuff.

I'm going to study up and figure out how to get the blue and red cards so I can go do oil. I feel like I could make an attempt on cargo as well. I feel like no one ever goes for that.

It's far less fun, and much more frustrating playing solo. But I'm learning faster and it forces me out of my comfort zone. Playing with Troy is like playing on easy mode because he does so much of the work. I can just hide behind him in most situations. I'm learning a lot right now.

And you know. It's important to get good at Rust. All this work will really pay off one day!
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

One thing that I discovered which makes me nervous. You don't dig up the stash. It comes up just by you looking at it! I was wondering why they seemed to randomly pop up sometimes even when I wasn't pressing E. But, I figure they are off the path enough that no one will be milling about there. You have to look at them for a few seconds for it to happen.