Rust - A thread for dying

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

The fact that Rust doesn't even win a nomination for "Labor of Love" every year shows how the Steam awards have no credibility.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

Rust, a game many of us played in early 2014, is on the verge of blowing up in 2021: https://www.pcgamer.com/rust-tops-a-mil ... streamers/
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Yep, and I repeat my claim about them not getting the "Labor of Love" nomination.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Yep, and I repeat my claim about them not getting the "Labor of Love" nomination.
Nominate it for 2021.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: Yep, and I repeat my claim about them not getting the "Labor of Love" nomination.
For real man. Turns out all those little silly (non pvp) things they were adding along the way are quite attractive to the rp groups. The community needs to catch up now ,more private servers and customs maps for people.

It feels good to be have grinded all those hours into this game and have people finally realize how good it is though.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Nominate it for 2021.
I have nominated it every year.
Troy wrote: Turns out all those little silly (non pvp) things they were adding along the way are quite attractive to the rp groups. The community needs to catch up now ,more private servers and customs maps for people.
I have purchased everything they come out with. I haven't used any, but it's the least I could do for how the game never stopped being developed and how hours I've played.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Goat raided a near by newbie base (had some soft walls on the outside). I wasn't interested in it because I figured "They're newbies. What would they have that would make it worth it?" Well, they had an SMG, SAR, Meds, Tech 2 bench, and a good amount of resources. Went through a lot of spears knocking through 3 walls, but we got into every room and they were all worth it. Felt bad looting them dry though. But if we didn't, someone else would. Not like we can leave a bunch of stuff there for them to keep. I guess we could have left them on the TC, and put walls back up. But we took out door walls, so we'd have to put locks on the doors and leave keys in there for them? But I digress. While I was playing Halo, another friend of Scooty's joined and they were doing quite a bit of stuff. I came back to a base overflowing with stuff. Crates of clothes/armor, weapons, tools (so many tools), food, cloth, scrap, resources. So. Much. Stuff.

I managed to honeycomb around the TC. I wasn't able to earlier in the evening. Then the server crashed (while I was in Halo). I tried again later and was able to. Not sure if it was server reset related. It will take a lot for someone to get to the TC. But honestly, it would be VERY profitable for them. :-( That being said, it would also not take us long to rebuild what we have.

They ran mil tunnels a couple of times (I was there for the second run). Kept messing up with the timing of the fuses, etc. Got all the way to the red door, when we realized it was a red door and need a red card, which we didn't have. I'm betting someone will be running to camp to buy cards.

They ran into 4 people at the gas station, and lost that 3v4 fight. The new guy landed 2 kill shots.

Best start in Rust yet.

Server pop was 40-60.

Questions:
What gear is good to wear/research? I was considering spending scrap to learn down the tech tree to the road sign armor. Worth it? What are the good clothes to wear under armor?

Shotgun trap. Do you just stick it to the wall and put ammo in it? Then it will shoot anyone not on the TC? Or do I need to give it electricity, or set it or something?

I'd like to run large oil tomorrow with them. What cards do we need for that?

Worth the scrap to learn the tech tree down to embrasures?
Troy

Post by Troy »

Cakedaddy wrote:

What gear is good to wear/research? I was considering spending scrap to learn down the tech tree to the road sign armor. Worth it? What are the good clothes to wear under armor?

Shotgun trap. Do you just stick it to the wall and put ammo in it? Then it will shoot anyone not on the TC? Or do I need to give it electricity, or set it or something?

I'd like to run large oil tomorrow with them. What cards do we need for that?

Worth the scrap to learn the tech tree down to embrasures?
Road sign is good, chest/head/pants. Under clothes aren't as important but hoody and pants are top of the line.

Shotgun trap works if it's loaded.

Bring all the cards for Large.

Worth to research unless you can find embrasures in the game through luck. The vertical ones.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Where's the best place to find armored doors, embrasures, better armor? I'm guessing you need to get the top crates from oil, cargo, air drop, etc?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Troy

Post by Troy »

Cakedaddy wrote: Where's the best place to find armored doors, embrasures, better armor? I'm guessing you need to get the top crates from oil, cargo, air drop, etc?
Crate, Oil, Cargo, any mil crates.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Got off-line raided. But they didn't make it to the TC room. They went right down the hall of doors leading upstairs instead of left leading to the loot room and TC. So, I added a bunch more doors, armored up the walls to the TC room, then moved it to a different room all together to keep them guessing. If a different team raids, they could find the TC pretty easy (behind a soft wall actually). But if the same team raids again, they'll find a very different base to go through. In any case, I wanted to spend as many resources as I could just to deny them. With this server wiped every two weeks, it's probably worth looking into multiple bases. Building resources came easy, so it wouldn't be too hard. The last thing I did was drop the explosives we had on the ground so they'd decay, and through the satchels we had off the roof. Don't want them finding those and breaking into more rooms! Oh, because I also spread the loot all over the house behind various doors as well.

Question. . . . If you build a tall tower, how many first floor walls have to be destroyed to take the whole thing down? Say it's a 2x2 that's 4 stories. Or a 1x1 that's 4 stories. How much is needed to hold the building up?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: Question. . . . If you build a tall tower, how many first floor walls have to be destroyed to take the whole thing down? Say it's a 2x2 that's 4 stories. Or a 1x1 that's 4 stories. How much is needed to hold the building up?
I don't know the exact numbers, but I have seen buildings topple because the base was weakened or not structurally sound.

It'd be easy to test. Just jump on a 10x server or some other high resource server and farm long enough to build a twig tower then start knocking it down and see what it collapses.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I just realized why they went right, instead of left! I built a fake honeycomb triangle on that side of the base! I was trying to honeycomb the actual TC room, but lost my bearings and started in the wrong spot. But then figured "Fuck it. Maybe it will confuse someone." So I finished it. And it did!!

Base is still standing.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Very cool production value, good story, and good story teller.

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

That was pretty awesome.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

This one is totally unscripted, a two parter, and awesome. It doesn't have the style of the one you posted, but it's a really cool unscripted story.

Troy

Post by Troy »

This game has been pretty fun lately.

The boost from the larger Twitch streamers playing trickled down to a doubling of the Steam player count.

The result was that the relative skill level on most servers went down a TON. Newbies running around doing crazy wild shit. Every time I run oil there's a fucking body of some dumb newbie. People throwing satchels on your front door just to see what would happen. Mass murder at airdrops.

I try to help them where I can but.... I also feast upon them.

One of my favorite ways to deal with new people is to pretend I don't see them until they draw a weapon on me and then turn around and gun them down.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Created my own server today (local) just to fly helicopters. Man do I suck at flying them.

Not sure if my mouse sensitivity is the issue or I'm just not meant to be a pilot. :D
Troy

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:48 pm Created my own server today (local) just to fly helicopters. Man do I suck at flying them.

Not sure if my mouse sensitivity is the issue or I'm just not meant to be a pilot. :D
I saw good gains in control after I messed on some of the heli/pvp servers. The ones that have the "mymini" command that you can summon a mini like a ethereal horse in UO.