Steam - The Future is Now

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

The definitive Steam Deck hardware review.

I love this guy's Youtube channel, such good shit, this is my type of hardware review. This second video really goes into the onboard components such as the SoC, VRM's and such. that second guy that talks is even talking about the datasheets of the individual PWM driver IC's! I never see people go that in-depth into hardware reviews. I wish i had this guys job.

WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Stranger wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:26 pm I never see people go that in-depth into hardware reviews.
Probably, because it's really boring. :D
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Cakedaddy wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:23 pm Probably, because it's really boring.
Yeah it is, but its not on dirty old factory electronics like i work on. So it was exciting for me :mrgreen:
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

My Steam Deck is on its way.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:47 pm My Steam Deck is on its way.
Niiiccee.

Mine will be a while
Your expected order availability: Q3 2022
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I'm giddy. Cannot wait.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

It has arrived! Got on it for about 5 minutes. Love it so far.

What they did with the mouse is pretty clever and easy to use. Also love that my library has a description of how every single game works, doesn't work, or kinda works for the Deck.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Leisher wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:57 pm Got on it for about 5 minutes.
Well that was a short poop.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

You know my day was busy when my Steam Deck arrives and I can't get to it.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Leisher wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:41 pm You know my day was busy when my Steam Deck arrives and I can't get to it.
So, what's your verdict on this? Curious to know. I've seen some really cool things, like guys loading Windows onto it, installing Blizzard app and running WoW without a hiccup. Then i've seen people complain that the 720 resolution and 30FPS max just isn't cutting it. Personally i'd think 720 on that small screen should be ok but 30 FPS could suck if your trying to play a shooter.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Well, you shouldn't be trying to play a shooter with a controller so. . .
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I absolutely love it, but I also recognize what it is and the limitations it has. You're not buying a gaming desktop, so people bitching that it isn't that are fucking idiots. Anyone who has shopped for a TV knows that anything over 720p at 32" and under is a waste. Your eye isn't capable of seeing any difference.

So far I've only been playing side scrollers (Hollow Knight and Little Nightmares) because, again, this is not a gaming desktop and I spend far less time on it than my desktop. It's a portable gaming device that resembles a Switch on steroids. I also plan to play a lot of JRPGs on it.

What I have no plans to ever play on it is an FPS/shooter. I never liked FPSs on consoles, so why would I play one on a portable handheld device?
Cakedaddy wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:36 pm Well, you shouldn't be trying to play a shooter with a controller so. . .
Can I get an "Amen!"? PC games don't have the built in aimbot like console ones do, so shooters would be pretty frustrating without a mouse.

The only real complaint I have so far is that I cannot play on it on a whim IF I have Steam open and logged in on my desktop. I can, but I have to then boot the desktop session off, which I can do on the Deck. That's a minor quibble though.

I have trips coming up and I'm really looking forward to spending more time with it.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Leisher wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:56 pm Anyone who has shopped for a TV knows that anything over 720p at 32" and under is a waste. Your eye isn't capable of seeing any difference.
Ehh. not sure i buy that.. I get pissed that my YouTube TV will stream sporting events at 720 and its considerably noticeable. Now 1080, yeah that's pretty much good enough for everything IMO. I do have a 1440 monitor and really don't see that much difference between that and 1080. But 720 on a handheld is definitely good enough.
Leisher wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:56 pm Can I get an "Amen!"? PC games don't have the built in aimbot like console ones do, so shooters would be pretty frustrating without a mouse.
No doubt FPS suck a dick with a controller. I was just using that as an example for trying to play something that only renders at 30 FPS. JRPGs and sidescrollers though, 30 is just fine.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Stranger wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:11 pm Ehh. not sure i buy that.. I get pissed that my YouTube TV will stream sporting events at 720 and its considerably noticeable. Now 1080, yeah that's pretty much good enough for everything IMO. I do have a 1440 monitor and really don't see that much difference between that and 1080. But 720 on a handheld is definitely good enough.
Distance from your eyes to the screen is a factor.
Stranger wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:11 pm JRPGs and sidescrollers though, 30 is just fine.
Exactly. Just know what you have and be ready to use it for what it will be great for. You wouldn't buy a sports car if you were a landscaper and needed a vehicle to haul your gear.

I figure this will easily handle 70-80% of the games in my library and is perfect for trips, the lake, driving my kid to theater, swim practice, and so on. I actually think it'll free up my desktop so I will just focus on the triple A titles on it from now on.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

So I always used to take my change to those CoinStar places, and get Amazon GCs. Well, they've apparently stopped giving out Amazon GCs. So I had to pick a Steam one :)

That being said, I've noticed I barely ever encounter change any more. I had about $17 from the past 2+ years.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

What the hell is change?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:37 pm What the hell is change?
David Bowie song?
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Leisher wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:37 pm What the hell is change?
Something you'd do if you loved me?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

That is both funny and disturbing.