Steam - The Future is Now

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Leisher wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:29 pm Humble Bundle suing Valve for Steam being a monopoly.
I was on Humble Bundle today seeing what games I'm getting next month and realized that they use a lot of the marketing info and user reviews directly from Steam to sell games on their site.

It amazes me how much the competitors of Steam use Steam to push their products while also bitching about Steam.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

FTC rules against Broadcom for exclusivity. One could argue that Steam's deals are similar.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:31 pm One could argue that Steam's deals are similar.
You spelled Epic Games Store wrong. They do exclusivity deals for AAA titles and their indy developer policy specifically mentions exclusivity to their store.

Microsoft also did exclusivity deals, which is something Tim Sweeney used to rail on before he took his 30 pieces of silver.

One could argue that Blizzard refusing to sell their games out of their own platform is exclusivity. EA used to do the same, but has relented.

Valve doesn't do exclusivity deals at all.

The only thing they do is ask distributors to not let Steam competitors sell game keys for less then the Steam price. Why is that important? Because the game keys get redeemed on Steam. Note: KEYS not games. Competitors can sell full versions of the games at whatever price they want. They just can't be put on Steam.

Steam's competitors didn't built a better platform to lure consumers. They're just trying to undercut Steam on pricing, while using all of Steam's marketing, user reviews, etc. and then once the sale is made, they hand the consumer off to Steam.

Please explain how Valve's position is unfair and how the competitors are "in the right" for blatantly stealing all of Valve's hard work. More importantly, how consumers would be better off if Steam was getting cut out of all sales.

I'm so fucking sick and tired of short sighted consumers trying to save a buck not realizing how much they're giving up. Epic has publicly stated that their goal is to give all the power to the developers and fuck the consumers. If they want to review things or need technical support, they can go to Steam. Morons couldn't wait to support Epic though because fReE gAmEs!

Imagine a world where people actually exerted their consumer power... Subway might use edible ingredients. Toys might actually come assembled and not be cheap piles of shit. Cars wouldn't be built to break after so many miles. And so on.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Saw that, I'm pre-ordering. I can always cancel later. It's only $5.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Epic boss, Tim Sweeney, praises the Steam Deck.

I did not notice in the marketing that you can install anything on it, Windows, EGS, Origin, whatever. Valve, literally, says "other game stores" in the marketing.

This could be something that comes into play with Epic's lawsuit against Apple.

If Sweeney and his company were wise, they could also end the money hemorrhaging of EGS, that isn't making a dent in Steam's numbers, and simply align with Valve. Make a deal like "We'll close the EGS, but we want our users' libraries to transfer over, we want our games to only see a 12% take on your end, and we want 15% of your 30% of any games using our engine."

Epic would immediately see a massive annual savings by reducing all the headcount working on and running their store, not to mention the bribes they're constantly paying out for the free games that nobody plays. Additionally, Fortnite finds a home on Steam and it's largest audience in the world.

I would think that would be a win-win for both companies?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

The biggest issue I see is... How many games will actually work with it? How many will have tiny fonts? How many won't have great controls, etc?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:36 am The biggest issue I see is... How many games will actually work with it? How many will have tiny fonts? How many won't have great controls, etc?
I wondered the same, but I have tons of casual, side scrollers, and sports games. It should be perfect for those. Also, notice the "virtual keyboard theme"? Too bad it doesn't have a mini pull out keyboard like the ones on printer/copiers.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Your account is too new to reserve early. Reservations will open for you on Sunday July 18th, 10am PDT
Thats some bullshit
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:31 pm
Your account is too new to reserve early. Reservations will open for you on Sunday July 18th, 10am PDT
Thats some bullshit
Why is your account "too new"? You've been on Steam forever.

It's probably actually this:
Why is my account not able to place a reservation until Sunday?
We are aware of potential unauthorized resellers, and as an additional safeguard to ensure a fair ordering process, we’ve added a requirement that the reserver has made a purchase on Steam prior to June 2021 for the first 48 hours of reservation availability.
I got mine while standing in line at Kung Fu Tea. Took 7 minutes as the Steam Store was crashing due to traffic.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I definitely qualify for that. Then I stopped getting that msg, and it just kept crashing and I gave up.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:40 pm I got mine while standing in line at Kung Fu Tea. Took 7 minutes as the Steam Store was crashing due to traffic.
Which one did you get?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

The top one. I figure if I'm going to get it, I might as well go all in.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:49 pm The top one. I figure if I'm going to get it, I might as well go all in.
Did the same, but Mine's Q2 2022, so we'll see... hopefully we'll have enough reviews by then to know if it's good.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Also, tldw.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:49 pmAlso, tldw.
The review was very positive.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I don't know what game this is for, but lol

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

is another one.

is your game.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Whoa, steam links auto put in the game, neat.