Steam - The Future is Now

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Steam is low key awesome.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Steam Autumn Sale - November 24th - 30th, 2021
Steam Winter Sale - December 22nd, 2021 - January 5th, 2022
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I really want to see how Steam determines what games to show you that you might be interested in because I got a really odd one today. An adult game with some very graphic material. I own exactly zero adult games. I wonder if owning JRPGs and having JRPGs plus The Witcher series increases the odds of getting an ad like that? Although, this is the first time I've ever gotten one like it, so maybe it's just running out of games to show me?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:09 pm I really want to see how Steam determines what games to show you that you might be interested in because I got a really odd one today. An adult game with some very graphic material. I own exactly zero adult games. I wonder if owning JRPGs and having JRPGs plus The Witcher series increases the odds of getting an ad like that? Although, this is the first time I've ever gotten one like it, so maybe it's just running out of games to show me?
Probably finally got connected to your search history.

There was some adult game I Read about recently that was made by the people who did some idle games (Like adventure capitalist), so that could be it as well.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I do have the check box to "show NSFW" content unchecked in Steam.

Also, one of the tags on it is "Visual Novel", which I know I own a Japanese zombie game in that genre, so perhaps that helps.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:53 pm Steam Deck tomorrow 10am PT
Delayed another 2 months.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I realized the other day that I would love it if Nintendo just gave up on systems and instead started making their stuff available for other platforms.

I want Mario Golf on my Steam Deck dammit!
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Autumn Sale and Steam Award voting are live.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:53 pm Autumn Sale and Steam Award voting are live.
Want to tell us what you nominated, and we can nominate the same since I don't know if I even got any 2021 games on PC? :)
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:04 pm
Leisher wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:53 pm Autumn Sale and Steam Award voting are live.
Want to tell us what you nominated, and we can nominate the same since I don't know if I even got any 2021 games on PC? :)
I typically don't have a clue because I rarely ever buy games at release. I just go based on IF I did, feedback from community, which company treats gamers well, what ones I want to play, etc. :D
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

FYI, I voted for Psychonauts 2 as GoTY, Sam and Max as VR, Labor of Love is ALWAYS Rust, Jackbox for Better with Friends, and gave visual style to Breathedge. I didn't bother voting for the rest.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I did rust as lol so I could play a game I nominated
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:08 am I did rust as lol so I could play a game I nominated
Ditto. Every. Year.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

The Winter Sale has begun!
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

That looks nothing like me...

Honestly, it's not even just about money. It's about releases being buggy, shitty, no guides being available (if needed and they usually are if you're doing all the collecting like the completionist I am...), and so on.

And even looking at the money side again, not paying full price for a release is amplified by the stupid season passes that are the trend now. Why buy a game not, when I can beat it, uninstall it, and then new content comes out years later? I'm better off NOT buying their game upon release, but rather once it's discounted and all additional content has been made and released.

WTF are these gaming companies thinking?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:59 pm WTF are these gaming companies thinking?
money
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:01 pm
Leisher wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:59 pm WTF are these gaming companies thinking?
money
They are, but it's short term thinking. They're training the public to not buy day 1 games and to not trust their brand. Reddit currently has a post telling people not to pre-order games with Cyberpubk as the latest example and it has about 30k upvotes.

This is why I harp constantly on shit like the butt fucking you're getting from the EGS. They're literally bribing customers to look the other way as Epic and their friends fuck their ass.

Consumers who support companies that shit on them and take advantage of their eagerness to be "the first" for something are the problem. They're why corporations feel like they can get away with treating customers poorly and why we can't have nice things.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:36 pm This is why I harp constantly on shit like the butt fucking you're getting from the EGS. They're literally bribing customers to look the other way as Epic and their friends fuck their ass.
Maybe I like it?

Honestly, is EGS doing anything to me?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:42 pmMaybe I like it?
I mean, we know you love it.
TheCatt wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:42 pm Honestly, is EGS doing anything to me?
Ok, in all seriousness, Epic's constant attempts to eliminate competition should be more than enough all by itself for anyone with sense to never give them money. Whether it's signing distributors (greedy scumbags who give nothing to the industry) to exclusive distribution deals, forcing indy developers who use their engine or platform to ONLY ever release their games on the EGS, or blatantly lying to you: "We'll stop exclusivity deals when we are tied with Steam for users." They are, and they haven't.

Their founder, Tim Sweeney, used to rail on and on about these tactics being evil, bad for gamers, and bad for the industry before Fortnite took off. Now he's the one doing them and lamely trying to justify it.

Meanwhile, they are very open about the fact that they are FOR DEVELOPERS and not gamers. They don't give two fucks about you, just your cash.
-They are only improving their store where forced, and not for the benefit of gamers.
-They will not be adding a review system. They, literally, say if you want that go to Steam.
-They have been pretty open about how the EGS is for the devs to get their games sold and not for gamers in any way.

You should also make note of who their biggest supporters are, devs and distributors who are known for shady bullshit. Remember how I recently posted about certain devs and distributors being interested in releasing games before they were finished and then charging more for the ending? Also, how those same ones wanted to bring the microtransactions popular in mobile games to PC gaming? They are the same devs and distributors in bed with Epic. In fact, Sweeney originally poo pooed microtransactions in PC games, but then Steam straight up banned them. He immediately changed his tune and said they will be allowed on the EGS.

Go read the Epic thread for more.