ARK: Survival Evolved

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote:Official Server 46. Region South 1.

Cake and I played tonight and were able to construct a thatch house.

Finding each other is HARD. Not even remotely as easy as Rust. If someone gets the game get on the right server and spawn in the right place, and we'll try to find you. Once we get you into our tribe, you'll spawn at our base.
Currently 70/70 players on. Is that typical?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Yes.

Cake and I are both out until Saturday, so once you get on, just do whatever to level your guy up. If you see Stan Smith or the TKV tribe, you can hook up with whomever is on.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Is it possible to log in early in the morning and just stay logged in idle while afk? I assume they drop you after so much time of inactivity.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Ok, welp....

Made it to level 4 or 5.

Was crafting a slingshot, and all of a sudden I heard giant dino stomping after me, and just hauled ass. Was some lvl 17 something, and it must have spawned on top of me, and I never had a chance.

Was trying to figure out how to make bullets for the slingshot when I got attacked.

So this is basically Rust?
Troy

Post by Troy »

No, Rust doesn't look like dogshit on my PC.

I think there is a decent game here though, just needs to be polished a bit.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

You know........

My PC isn't all that new, but I launched the game with the "max settings" to see how it would run, and it's just fine. Did I happen to have the video card the designed it on, or something?

The only thing I have a problem with is serious clipping when I am fighting the dinosaurs that fight back, then it is like I am inside them swinging away.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

But besides that, as soon as I realized I had to punch trees and rocks rust style to get resources, I realized it was pretty much Rust but with a leveling system that, fortunately, gives you SOMETHING you can't lose when you die and respawn. Your levels.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Is anyone even playing any more? Every time I've been on this weekend, nobody except bad guys.

Is it really possible to die of thirst while standing in a river, if I don't have a water bottle? Because i just did.

Also pooping makes me laugh. Not even talking about the game right now.

Also I think the server just went down.

Edited By GORDON on 1434941693
Troy

Post by Troy »

I landed for trial on Friday. Be back online in a few weeks.

From what I remember, you have to dunk yourself in the water to raise your water meter.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Well the river was only ankle deep so I guess that means i am too stupid to cup my hands and drink.

Cake and Scooty got on like the minute I posted that .
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I'll be on this week as I'm back in town.

Actually tried to get on Saturday night, but the server was full. Tried several times before going to bed for golf the next morning.

Edited By Leisher on 1434951137
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

Ark: More time spent waiting to play than GOLF
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote:I'll be on this week as I'm back in town.

Actually tried to get on Saturday night, but the server was full. Tried several times before going to bed for golf the next morning.
Here's my first, "What are these dumbass developers thinking?" post:

Team Fortress 2 had a queuing system to get into full servers about a decade ago.

Is there a plan to increase each server population?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

But seriously, did the Rust people make this game? If not, how are they not getting sued? I can name five identical aspects for every difference between the two.

Not complaining, just saying.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:But seriously, did the Rust people make this game? If not, how are they not getting sued? I can name five identical aspects for every difference between the two.

Same engine maybe?
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Troy

Post by Troy »

Na, Unity Engine vs. Unreal 4 engine IIRC

There are a lot of survival games that are very similar though. Rust, ARK, Reign of Kings, there are tons more in the Steam Early Access section. Mostly look like dogshit.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:But seriously, did the Rust people make this game? If not, how are they not getting sued? I can name five identical aspects for every difference between the two.

Are you talking the cosmetic or gameplay things?
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

So in all survival games you start out in a random spot in the world naked, don't get much in the way of map coordinates, you punch trees and rocks to get rudimentary ingredients to build either a stone hatchet or stone pickax or torch or fire pit? If you kill a lower level animal you will get meat and skins. There are higher and lower level animals. You put the meat into your campfire with wood to cook it. The more experience you get in the game the more blueprints you get for building better gear, including combinable items for which you need a forge/workbench. You build walls and a roof if you want a measure of security.... primitive wood stuff, at first, until you get better. There's a day/night cycle. Logging out leaves you in the world, lootable. If you die you respawn naked, randomly unless you are locked in to a sleeping bag, somewhere.

So far I could be either describing Rust or Ark, perfectly.

Again, not criticizing, but for a few small differences, these are identical games. Just saying.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

You can't copyright an idea.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

So I saw that there was an overall TKV plan being put into effect the other night.... what is it?

I was planning on just leveling and gathering. I probably will focus my engrams on weapons and shit, since it seems structure building is covered.