ARK: Survival Evolved

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

FYI, I plan on getting this but I already blew my disposable fun money for June.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Troy

Post by Troy »

I've had two lives and deaths so far.

Collected resources for a while and built a hatchet, whacked a few critters, then fell down a hill and took a bunch of damage each bounce. Died at the bottom.

Respawned on top of a pack of the Nedry-killing diplos. They blinded me and ate me, awesome.

It's still not great performance, but lower resolution improves it a bit.

Am dabbling until the group starts - it looks like we'll have a choice of a bunch of official servers

Edited By Troy on 1433734405
Troy

Post by Troy »

Oh - I ate enough berries that I pooped, which then rolled down the hill.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Love the images in the update today. Wanna be a dinosaur cowboy

e: But no idea how to make the game look as good as those photos

Edited By Troy on 1433909520
Troy

Post by Troy »

Game to play this or Rust tonight. Last gaming weekend for a while.

e: it's frustrating to play this early Alpha game as opposed to Rust, lots of awesome dino content, but Rust is now very polished by comparison

Edited By Troy on 1434122270
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

I still haven't purchased this game yet. I'm not in a hurry to buy a game that I can only get 10fps on. Although there is a patch this week that is supposed to give GPU optimization anywhere from 10-30% boost. So that's good news and I will be following the progress on that.

It is on sale until June 22, and I plan on getting it by then.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I'm sitting in CLT right now and should be online tonight late just getting my legs in game. I plan to be more available for multi tomorrow.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Official Server 46. Region South 1.

Cake and I played tonight and were able to construct a thatch house.

Finding each other is HARD. Not even remotely as easy as Rust. If someone gets the game get on the right server and spawn in the right place, and we'll try to find you. Once we get you into our tribe, you'll spawn at our base.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Just as an FYI, this game seems to be gaining steam.

Our tribe is already 4-5 members strong and we don't even have Troy, Stranger, or Gordo playing yet.

The biggest downside to this game isn't the graphics, it's the limited space on servers. I got on early yesterday, but had to log to drive to work for an emergency. I got home and sat for two hours trying to get back onto our server. It was prime time, but a server only holds 70 folks.

That means the game is very popular, so that's good, but trying to get in can be frustrating. Locating where the hell you are is tough in game too, so be sure to message someone in Steam to let them know you're getting into game. (There's now a third place for TS due to new people we're playing alongside in this game.)

It is still glitchy as expected, but it's fun. If you liked Rust, you'll like this game.

Again, Official Server 46. Spawn in South 1.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Have you tamed any Dinos yet? I'll try to log onto that server tonight.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

When I logged off last night Stan Smith (Scooty) had tamed half a dozen dinos, which any tribe member can ride.

Not sure I love the system yet as you have to keep them feed or they turn on you. Typically, that's fine, but everything is rushed in this game. Time goes by too quickly, and a lot of resources spoil over time, thus resource gathering is a constant thing. That's both good and bad.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

You fucking fucks are going to get tired of the game before I get it, aren't you.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Nah. I've only had 1 day of playing it. I might play tonight, but tomorrow is golf and I might be back in Richburg again Thursday/Friday, so maybe I'll play again Saturday?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Small sale: $24.89 today
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Someone buy it for me at $25 and I'll pay you back July 1. My paypal is dry.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:Someone buy it for me at $25 and I'll pay you back July 1. My <s>paypal</s> vagina is dry.

Done and fixed.

Edited By Malcolm on 1434656593
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Yeah yeah. I keep my "totally irresponsible purchases" in a separate account so I don't accidentally spend money that I shouldn't. That's just my superior brain showing self control instead of following a "i want it now so i don't care about consequences" approach.

But I also don't want to get too far behind in the game so thanks for hooking me up and I will paypal you back when my monthly allowance replenishes.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

That's just my superior brain showing self control instead of following a "i want it now so i don't care about consequences" approach.

Bah, superior brains can handle a bit of pressure. One account, proper budgeting. Come on, combine them, you know you want to.

Edited By Malcolm on 1434657196
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Malcolm wrote:
That's just my superior brain showing self control instead of following a "i want it now so i don't care about consequences" approach.
Bah, superior brains can handle a bit of pressure. One account, proper budgeting. Come on, combine them, you know you want to.
Well, then, it is a sign of my infantilism... my wife has the checkbook, and controls the budget (because I don't want to), and I don't want to ask her permission every time I want to make an extraneous purchase, so I have that separate account. It allows me to feel like a grownup, sometimes.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Ha, "bail money."