Bard's Tale IV

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
GORDON
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by GORDON »

In D&D Second Edition it was fun switching your level 18 Paladin to a level 1 mage with 128 hit points.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: So why'd you mention it?
It makes him attack first. So his spells go before the enemies' attacks.
Leisher wrote: Point being, you're full of shit.
Nope.
Leisher wrote: You do realize that you will have your magic users switch classes to the other's class, and then again later to something more powerful, right?
No, I know nothing about this game, I'm going in blind, and 30+ year old memories.

Why do they need to switch classes?
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by TheCatt »

Bard's Tale 1 limited you to 6 characters. The 7th slot was only for summoned monsters.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by TheCatt »

2nd level of catacombs: found the entrance. got my ass kicked and had 2 dead. Finally have enough gold that it doesn't matter though.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Doing some googling shows characters were saved not your game. However, the new save system does the exact same thing. You can save your location, yes. However, anytime you go to a new level or leave a location, everything respawns. Thus, the effect of the saves are the same.
Yes, and only at the Adventurer's Guild. Which means not the same, since you can save anywhere.
Troy

Bard's Tale IV

Post by Troy »

Having to pay for all these goddamn wizards is not "easy mode"

Also, the rogue is double bullshit because he can't wear mithril scale. Even the MAGES can wear it. I hate him so much. -3 less AC than the rest of the first line.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: It makes him attack first. So his spells go before the enemies' attacks.
What? Is that true? I've often wondered what determines order of attack.
TheCatt wrote: Nope.
Yep.
TheCatt wrote: Why do they need to switch classes?
This I remember fondly. Your mages get crazy powerful. You should have one of the two(?) types to start. Get them to their lvl 7 spells then go grind one more dungeon to get XP and cash. Once done, head to the advancement council and have them both switch classes to the others'. They should immediately get to lvl 5 or so in their new class, maybe more. They'll also retain all their previous spells. After they get to lvl 7 spells in their new class, there will be another class opportunity. That's when you start wrecking everything in sight. That's why 3 mages in your party is easy mode. There's, literally, nothing that will even challenge you.
TheCatt wrote: The 7th slot was only for summoned monsters.
That makes sense. I used a lot of summoned/recruited monsters, but never would have left a slot open.
TheCatt wrote: Finally have enough gold that it doesn't matter though.
This is partly why saves don't matter.
TheCatt wrote: Yes, and only at the Adventurer's Guild. Which means not the same, since you can save anywhere.
So, exactly as I described it...

Apparently, true saves weren't a thing in games yet. Thus, why you saved your characters.
Troy wrote: Having to pay for all these goddamn wizards is not "easy mode"
It will be when you get them leveled up.
Troy wrote: Also, the rogue is double bullshit because he can't wear mithril scale. Even the MAGES can wear it.
I do NOT understand the class restrictions on some of the items.
Troy wrote: -3 less AC than the rest of the first line.
Get some rings on your rogue. I found a bunch of great equipment in the second dungeon.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: What? Is that true? I've often wondered what determines order of attack.
There two aspects, I think. One is based on level/class, the other is based on dexterity. At any rate, my DEX18 Sorcerer almost always attacks first.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by TheCatt »

Bashar Kavilor is a bitch.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by TheCatt »

I just did the class changing, and boy did those characters accelerate fast after that. I made them each Sorcerers, who have a multi-enemy spell that literally attacks every enemy within 40' (instead of just one group). Gott damn.

Also, I told my hunter to fuck off, and brought back my level 2 dead monk who I can afford to revive now.
Troy

Bard's Tale IV

Post by Troy »

I fucking hate monks in all games so I couldn’t bring myself to make one. Chucked the rogue, got two warriors, sorcerer, conjurer, magician atm.

I just got the mad gods name. Not sure if there is anything on L3 sewers worth nabbing. I’ve made a few runs and found the secret stairs but don’t feel like delving down there anymore if I don’t need to.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by Leisher »

I believe once you get the mad god's name you're good to move on. Better loot in sewer three, but nothing for the story?

Also, I love the monk. He's fucking unhittable and late game absolutely rapes anything you fight.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by GORDON »

He's powerful at high levels in D&D, too.
Troy

Bard's Tale IV

Post by Troy »

Catacombs making things easy. I can make money hand over fist right next to the temple and the MP charger.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by TheCatt »

Troy wrote: Catacombs making things easy. I can make money hand over fist right next to the temple and the MP charger.
Yeah. If you grind the catacombs (level 3 is the best), the game gets way easier, way fast. I just leveled my magic people through all 4 classes. They're 1 level short of the 7-7-7-7, and they are powerful as hell, suddenly.

My mains are around L25; My monk has -21 AC
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by TheCatt »

I also had not bothered to figure out what my songs meant. They're pretty good.
GORDON
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by GORDON »

Figured out the bard can play the "make enemies.hit not as hard" song out of combat, and it still works in combat, and he can still blow the Firehorn in addition to playing the song IN combat.

So that makes the bard less useless.

My bard is named Madonna.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Figured out the bard can play the "make enemies.hit not as hard" song out of combat, and it still works in combat, and he can still blow the Firehorn in addition to playing the song IN combat.
Yes. Traveller's Tune + Lucklaran are what I've been using.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by TheCatt »

The monk is fighter class on easy. Way OP. Low HP (or at least mine is), but amazingly low AC + tons of damage.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Low HP (or at least mine is)
Ditto.
GORDON wrote: Figured out the bard can play the "make enemies.hit not as hard" song out of combat, and it still works in combat, and he can still blow the Firehorn in addition to playing the song IN combat.
Yep. I posted this a page or two ago. That changed everything in terms of what I thought of my bard.