Angry Birds 2

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
GORDON
Site Admin

Angry Birds 2

Post by GORDON »

This is the first phone game I've played in many years.

You get prompted to buy stuff approximately three times per minute. Is this how all phone games are?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Angry Birds 2

Post by Leisher »

Not all, no.

Apple Arcade has a library of mobile games with zero ads and nothing for sale within the game. However, the overwhelming majority of games outside of said store have ads and/or things for sale. The level with which you get annoyed to buy things or watch ads depends on the developer. This is why many games are simple clones of [insert popular game type] and are just stuffed with ads.

I've seen games with ads that run over a minute, not an exaggeration, while actual game play sessions lasted all of 15 seconds.

Games like Gardenscapes, Homescapes, etc. have no ads, but do have in game purchases, however you only get an ad for them once a play session.

Other games have ads on demand. Basically, you only have to watch an ad if you, say, want to skip harvesting a resource and instead just collect x amount of that resource.

Ads these days are super short and not intrusive though, so stop complaining.

I'm kidding, of course. I'd estimate that 75% of the them are a minute long. More than half immediately stop your music player or podcast to instead play their midi bullshit. This occurs a lot even if you have the phone muted. Yep, you turn the phone's fucking sound OFF and some of these ad makers decide their desire to make you listen to shit is more important than your decision to not want sound. Many ads don't bother putting a sound icon on screen so you can mute their shit. Some put it UNDER an on screen floating ad. Yep an ad on top of the ad for the same fucking product.

Then there's the "date rapey" aspects of the ads. When it's time to close the ads you get to play "hunt the pixel". Most ads force open your browser and/or the app store because this makes people download a game? This is the equivalent of shoving a woman's head down onto your crotch.

Want to get rid of the ads? Some games offer lifetime elimination of ads for a one time fee. If you really enjoy the game it can be worth it. If I love a game and I can dump ads forever for $5, maybe I do it. (I think I've done such a thing once, maybe twice.) However, now there's a new trend of charging monthly. For example, Cody Cross is a crossword game that is pretty decent. However, to eliminate all ads they want $7.99/month. Uh, go fuck yourself.

P.S. Every person associated with the Royal Match game can rot in the deepest pits of hell.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Angry Birds 2

Post by Leisher »

P.S.

It's weird you just posted this because Rovia, the makers of Angry Birds, were just in the news last week for announcing they were pulling the original Angry Birds from ever being available again.

Why? Because when it first came out, people could buy it for a dollar. No ads. No additional purchases. Etc. ALL other AB games since have not gone this route and instead are heavy on ads and in game purchases.

Same goes for the original PvZ, which was something I purchased back in the day and recently DLed again only to find out it was stuffed with ads. I complained and they basically told me tough shit. Watch the ads or spend more money on the newer versions.

Again, they can all go fuck themselves.

The best part of all this? PC gamers fucking rule and every time any company tries to bring this microtransaction nightmare to PCs, it usually fails spectacularly. Sure, they have some success here and there, but for the most part, we are holding the line.

Fuck mobile gamers. Particularly fuck the noodle dicks that spend daddy's money on P2W items because it gives them a false sense of success. Absolute losers.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”