Jackbox Party Pack 3

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Jackbox Party Pack 3

Post by Leisher »

I have long been a fan of the "You Don't Know Jack" series and the Jackbox Party Packs are a new direction they've taken their games. It works really well combined with cell phones and if you have the ability to stream Steam to your TV (or anywhere a large group of party goers can gather). The Party Packs have different games, but this one has Quiplash, a trivia game set with the contestants being held by a serial killer, Tee KO, Guesspionage, and Faking It. To play each person has their cell phone and using the browser go to jackbox.tv and then login with the code once you launch a specific game. It's so simple even grandma can do it and it requires no downloading. Usually games are anywhere from 1-8 players. (In this pack all games were a max of 8 players except for one, which was 6.)

Quiplash is a game where you get asked a couple questions and you have to come up with witty answers, which then everyone votes on. For example, a question I got last night was something like "This is the name for a 24/hr adult news/content channel that is mostly sexy in nature". My answer was "pineapple", which is subtly hilarious. I have no idea where I learned the significance of that word, but without googling, please tell me if you get the joke.

The Murder Trivia game, whose exact name I forget, was the most played and, imho, has the most charm. the trivia is multiple choice and losers go to the killer's side game to try and survive. One player MUST live to the final round or the killer wins. The final round is a mad dash to the exit where the dead players can catch the living one and trade places with them. It's a lot of fun and has some decent humor.

Guesspionage is like the board games where you guess what percentage of Americans do ________.

Tee KO has you doing artwork on your phone and then slogans. They then get randomized to players to make t-shirts, which everyone then votes on. This is the weakest game because of the randomness and reliance upon other players' creativity to make a good shirt. It's also the one where sophomoric humor can and will most easily show itself.

Faking It will be a huge hit. You face each other in a circle and then on your phone are given a task/question. At the count of three you then raise your hand or don't, hold up a number of fingers, make a funny face to match a situation, or point at someone. The catch is that someone is faking it. While you got a question like, "Raise your hand if you drive to work", "hold up the number of fingers to match how long it's been since you pooped", "point to your best friend", or "show the face you make when listening to Coldplay", the faker gets instructions to simply blend in and has no idea what the question is. The non-fakers have three rounds to guess who is faking and then someone else goes. It's a lot of fun.

The only caveat I would give a potential buyer is to be aware that things can get a bit adult depending on the crowd and question. The Jack folks don't shy away from any topic, so it's up to you to determine if your kids are of the correct age to play. For example, last night I played with 4 teenagers and it was a lot less fun than playing with adults because the teens (who were already annoying me because I was trying to watch MNF football and play games to relax after just having jumped her car in single digit temps because she left the headlines on...but I digress...) just get into a "who can say or draw the most ridiculous thing", which in teen humor is all potty and sex stuff. Teenage humor is lame AF.

Highly recommended.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Jackbox Party Pack 3

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:30 ampineapple
Symbol for swingers, afaik.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Jackbox Party Pack 3

Post by Leisher »

Is it a symbol for swingers? I know I saw a stat somewhere that it is the #1 safe word used by couples during sex.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Jackbox Party Pack 3

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:56 pm
Is it a symbol for swingers? I know I saw a stat somewhere that it is the #1 safe word used by couples during sex.
Ah, that's news to me
It's not me, it's someone else.