Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Rough start.

First, mouse sensitivity was crazy bad. Took a bit to get it to where it felt natural. Then the control scheme is much different from the first game. Instead of right clicking to take cover, right click now aims your sights. Taking cover being the single most important aspect of a stealth game... Anyone see why that could be a problem? Also, instead of smooth controls used in the first game to move around cover they added a lot of space bar action, jumping over cover, and moving to certain distances based on where you move the mouse. Plus they added shadows to show where you'll go like you're stuck in a persistent tutorial.

I just checked reviews and they're positive, but you can see the red flags.

When the controls are brutal and take this long to get used to it makes me not want to play the game. Not good.

The last game I would take any chance to play. This one I'm writing this rather than play it...
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I pushed through the learning curve of the different controls and got to a point where I could really enjoy this one.

The problems didn't end with the sensitive mouse or the reworked controls though. This games taxes your system hardcore. Cutscenes were often like watching a Godzilla movie in the 70s or 80s. Characters' mouths would move and they'd go through their actions, but the words would either come way early or way late. I also experienced some crashes to desktop, getting stuck in loading screens, and one BSOD.

Despite all that, I was able to complete the solo campaign and it's a fantastic story. Extremely deep and engaging even without the dozen side mission storylines thrown in as well. There are two moments in the game that really force you to make a moral decision, and the answer isn't as clear as you would think in either case.

You can play this with guns blazing, which would be a huge mistake. Or you can play using stealth, and not just stealth, but without killing. That, imho, is the most difficult way to play the game. If you murder everything, it's super easy to sneak around levels. Ensuring everyone lives takes a lot more skill, patience, and planning.

Read my review of the prior game for more gameplay details as it's most the same.

This was a super enjoyable game in a fascinating universe that feels like a potential future here in reality. The story didn't end, but I'm not sure we'll ever see another sequel. Not due to poor sales, but the studio broke up or something.

Recommended.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”