State of Mind

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

State of Mind

Post by Leisher »

Got this one in a Humble Bundle. Completed it over the weekend.

Interesting game. More of an interactive story with choose-your-own-adventure type of elements. There are "action" scenes, but not really. The only consequences are how the story plays out. (Multiple ending warning.)

You are Richard Nolan, a journalist in 2048 Berlin. The world has become very automated with bots all over the place and you write about the dangers of relying too much on them. You have a wife and a kid, but they appear to have gone missing. You also jump into the boots of Adam Newman, a journalist in City 5. Your life is ideal with a wife and kid. The only troubles you have are earthquakes that randomly hit your city. The events of this story absolutely turn both of their lives upside down and shine a spotlight on human morality, mortality, and ethics.

The story is exceptional. Sure, there are some holes here and there (some big ones too), but they can be forgiven because overall it's so engaging. Also, the voice acting is bad in spots, but I'm not sure if that's due to the actors, the dialogue, or editing. Weird long pauses and lots of information that should get relayed, but doesn't. The bad part of the story is the ending because they are different, they're not that different. Based upon comments under the YouTube video I just watched to see the other endings it seems the "good" or "bad" ending has more to do with what the player decides is best and what they imagine life will be like for the people after the credits.

Very interesting game. I wouldn't recommend it to you unless you are in it for the story and realize this is more of a point and click than anything else.

I'd play a sequel.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”