Neon Abyss

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Neon Abyss

Post by Leisher »

Roguelike side scroller.

I honestly am not 100% sure what the story is all about, but the game is fun, so who cares? I just know that you are at a club/bar and you run out to leap in the abyss and that's where the game occurs. You repeat this process as you make it to and defeat managers and eventually their bosses. There is stuff explained here and there about who you're fighting, but this is not a game you play for story.

The game is pretty for a side scroller. Nothing is jumbled and even the "dirty" areas are easily made out. It's very colorful and bright.

The gameplay is sort of standard side scroller. Run, jump, and shoot your way through a maze of rooms that changes every time you jump in. Some paths and chests are blocked and you'll need bombs, keys, crystals, or your own health to access them. Some rooms have games within the game you can pay (in game) to play to hopefully get better items. Every level has an end boss you'll have to fight to move on. Some levels are hidden, ditto for some boss levels, and ditto again for their "cursed" versions.

Fortunately, those aforementioned items and guns are plentiful to help you get through the maze. There are hundreds of items and dozens of enemies. Interestingly, when you find an item you will not be told what it does until after you pick it up or buy it. I've been in the store staring at a weapon wondering why the name sounded familiar and if it was because I hated it or liked it. There is no selling, just buying. That's key because money isn't just laying around. Aside from very rare circumstances (like a particular item), you will not be cash rich. So spend that money wisely.

Upgrades and cheats are available, as well as, other ways to start runs with certain items, but it's not as easy as it sounds. First, achievements get disabled. Second, you're still paying for them in game. Third, the upgrades actually add to the complexity of decisions you need to make. BTW, yes the cheats are built into the game, but you have to buy them first with special tokens you won't find until later. Then it's random and which ones you get and there are a lot. Also, I haven't seen a "cheat cheat" yet, just the ability to spawn items.

TLDR: A side scroller with heavy gun play, tons of items, lots of enemies, fun, a touch of economy management, and recommended.

Oh, and I've heard it is fun to play on a Steam Deck.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”