Journey to the Savage Planet

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

(Also reviewing the DLC Hot Garbage.)

You are working as an explorer for Kindred. You're scouting a planet looking for a new home for humanity. You need to catalog all the flora and fauna. Your planet is a bit different as once you arrive you find a large tower that scans never revealed. Now Kindred wants you to explore the tower and find out who built it.

This is in the same genre as Subnautica. You explore, you scan lifeforms and such, you find resources to craft new items, and there's fighting. In fact, this game has a lot more fighting than Subnautica.

The tone of the game is humorous and a lot is based on corporate greed. Inside your ship, which you'll return to often, there's a TV with either messages from Kindred's boss or advertisements showing how insane culture and debt have gotten in the future. Dying is handled really well and plays into this theme. You are guided in your exploring by Kindred's AI and she always has some witty little comments about what you've discovered, when you die, when you survive, and so on.

It's a very bright, colorful, and gorgeous game. Visuals throughout are really impressive as are the design of levels, the plants, and the animals. There are bosses you'll encounter and they're all decent fights. The DLC Hot Garbage adds onto this and fits the main game perfectly. The biggest complaint there though is that it's really short. I beat it tonight in a few hours and got 100% completion on it. The main game is longer, but definitely not as long as other big titles. I think I started the game a week ago and I'm done with both (100% completion on the main game too).

I would recommend it, but definitely wait until you can get both the main game and the DLC for $5-$10 or less. It has charm, humor, decent action (although more cartoony than a Borderlands or Doom), and can be co-op (didn't realize until I started it and it's only for 2 people). It'd be a good one to play with a younger kid or if you were curious about the genre. Although, go into it knowing this is the "For Dummies" version of the genre.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

By the way, Google bought this game's maker Typhoon Studios and a sequel was in development for Stadia but Google cancelled it because Stadia is basically dead.

So a sequel might come someday, but Typhoon might have to fight to get out of Google to make it.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”