Lifeless Planet (Steam)

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Lifeless Planet (Steam)

Post by Leisher »

Has there ever been a more appropriately named game?

Do you like walking? Do you like vague paths and plots? Do you want the story to be filled with bad metaphors and maybe not even be happening? This is the game for you.

Ok, I'm being a bit unfair, but this game was very mildly interesting and mostly boring. I beat the entire game in a couple of hours. (You can watch the recording on Twitch minus the 45 minutes or more of "Be Right Back" screen as I went to eat and pick up kids.)

You're apparently an astronaut on a one way trip to a world probes noticed was filled with lush vegetation and wildlife. However, when you arrive it's a lifeless planet. Now you walk around interacting with basically nothing while hearing the story of what happened. You will quickly come to realize it doesn't make sense (think timeline and how NASA doesn't half ass anything) and they make it worse by throwing in some nonsense about your own life.

Games like this are meant to be immersive, but they're not because they constantly remind you they're crap games. There are three times you need dynamite to progress. Guess what you find right there all three times. Whenever you need oxygen guess what's right there. Oh, there's jetpack fuel, guess it's time for jumping puzzles. And, literally, the second you exit the jumping puzzle: "Oh you're out of fuel".

That reminds me, the controls weren't awful, but they weren't great either.

Currently, $4 on Steam and not worth it. There are better walking simulators than this one. It didn't completely suck, but I cannot imagine any of you loving it.

Also, ignore the positive reviews it has because it was a Kickstarter game and the folks who invested in it have falsely inflated its score.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”