Control (Steam)

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Control (Steam)

Post by Leisher »

505 Games are a greedy batch of shitsippers. They published this game. Searching for this title to ensure there was no existing thread I got confirmation when it dug up an old story about them accepting blood money from Epic to make this exclusive there initially. Scumbags. So why do I also think they're scum before knowing that? Well, there's an issue with the version of the game I got. I received this in a monthly Humble Bundle and it was apparently supposed to be a standard edition, but it came in as ultimate. I did not know this at the time and didn't play it until a LONG time after getting it. Turns out this is a known issue and 505 doesn't give a fuck. In fact, they've essentially said "fuck Steam customers". Even their help form asks for your gamer tag for EGS, PS, or X-Box. Not mentioning the world's largest software distribution platform is intentional as fuck. Anyway, instead of fixing the issue, because they're incompetent morons and assholes, they just told Steam to remove the DLCs and standard edition from their store. Thus, screwing everyone who got it via Humble. Fuck them in the goat ass. I won't be buying their DLC (and noticing the reviews now, they missed two sales by making me wait and giving me time to not impulse buy). FYI, make no mistake, the lack of reviews are why scum like 505 Games and Epic want you over in the EGS buying your games and bending over for publishers.

This is all a shame because Control is fucking awesome. Remedy is the developer and they made a very kick ass game. The world is super weird and the gameplay is an absolute blast. Combat feels really, really satisfying, mainly the telekinesis and the explosions.

You are Jesse Faden and you show up at the HQ of a secret government agency. Somehow you end up in the director's office and shit happens. You're the director now. You're there searching for your brother, but now you find yourself in the middle of a battle protecting all of humanity. And how in the hell did you get these powers? It's like The X-Files mixed with Eureka (although without morals) and a bunch of other "parallel dimensions/universes" shows.

You have a very unique gun that has a couple of cool modes and it's upgradeable. However, the star of the show is going to be your powers. If you're like me, you will upgrade your powers to max out TK first, then health/energy, then levitation, and then whatever. Maxing out the power you deal with TK is a game changer. The fights here are pretty awesome. Some are lame as you get faced with enemies who have no chance against you. Some are awesome as many of the places you fight allow enemies to get position on you. There are some serious firefights. The combat never got old.

The story is good and interesting, but to be honest it's also weird enough that they can get away with a lot of unexplained things. For example, during the endgame something happens that I don't think I've ever seen in a game before. It completely destroys any immersion you might have in the game, but it's pretty cool.

This game was a ton of fun and I would enjoy more experiences in this universe. (A universe also shared by the Alan Wake series, which gets referenced in this game.) Unfortunately 505 Games own the distribution rights for this franchise for 20 years. So even when the "currently being made" sequel hits, I'm sure it will be EGS exclusive so they can get their blood money.

As for the DLCs, I've heard The Foundation is merely ok. It adds a "lame" new boss and a new power that is only useful in that expansion. I've heard AWE is a little less than merely ok. All reviews seem to point out that both are way overpriced for the content they provide.

If you get the chance to buy Control through Steam, do it, but make sure it's at a greatly reduced price because fuck 505 Games.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Control (Steam)

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:52 pm If you get the chance to buy Control through Steam, do it, but make sure it's at a greatly reduced price because fuck 505 Games.
$12 for the Ultimate right now?
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Control (Steam)

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:00 pm
Leisher wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:52 pm If you get the chance to buy Control through Steam, do it, but make sure it's at a greatly reduced price because fuck 505 Games.
$12 for the Ultimate right now?
I'd call that a good deal.

Good luck understanding Ahti.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Control (Steam)

Post by TheCatt »

Free on Epic today.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Control (Steam)

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:39 pm Free on Epic today.
"Free" = Your soul