Battlefield 1

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Battlefield 1

Post by Leisher »

Got this as part of a really cheap bundle during a recent Steam sale.

I'm not bothering with the multiplayer component because there's nothing here I didn't do in the 90s and 00s.

The single player campaign starts off with several really, really small tidbits of various action pieces. This lasts about 10 minutes.

Then the rest of the single player campaign is "based on true stories" and are built on 5 or 6 different scenarios. There's one about a tank. One storming a beach. One where you're in the desert. One with flying. And one where you're an Aussie.

BTW, this is all WWI.

They're all crazy linear. You are on a rail. A single rail. Not even a double rail!

You can play them by running and gunning or through stealth. I found stealth made the game more interesting. Also, once you alert enemies they basically have a cheat mode on where they see you everywhere. It's pretty stupid for something based on true stories. Also, just like in real life, once you spot an enemy his type and silhouette are always displayed making tracking them easy.

I didn't bother with the flying one. I started it, realized I didn't enjoy the controls and just skipped it.

The game play is fine and some of the fights can get pretty hectic. The weapons are all annoyingly old, so don't expect the quickness and stopping power of today's weapons.

The cutscenes are pretty gorgeous.

I think I got 3 games for less than $5, but I'm hoping the next two are improvements. This scratched my FPS itch, but it had zero depth.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
thibodeaux

Battlefield 1

Post by thibodeaux »

My son played this multi a lot, about 4 years ago. It’s basically the same as every other capture the flag multi with internet randos.