Roblox

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Roblox

Post by Leisher »

Went public and holy fuck...

What is going on in this world? This is a platform with horrific graphics, audio, and gameplay. Users create the vast majority of the content. A TON of the content is stolen from other sources and there are always trademark violations going on.

How is this worth $45B?

Although, now that they have that much worth, I fully expect Disney and others to start suing them for unlawful use of their IP.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Stranger

Roblox

Post by Stranger »

I've probably spent close to $200 on this game over the past couple of years. Not for me, but for my 1st grade son, he loves it. So i can see why it might be worth so much.

But yeah, one of his favorite games to play is basically everyone running around as a logo of whatever company they choose, copyrights be damned.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Roblox

Post by Leisher »

Stranger wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:02 pm But yeah, one of his favorite games to play is basically everyone running around as a logo of whatever company they choose, copyrights be damned.
Exactly.

I've seen games on there with Marvel, Disney, DC, etc. characters and there are no licensing agreements at all. I've heard Roblox's defense is that "they" don't create the games, and thus, aren't responsible. However, they don't pull anything down that violates copyright law until they're forced.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Roblox

Post by Leisher »

Roblox is built upon tricking people, specifically kids, into making content and then not giving them a fucking dime. They get less than 24.5% of the profits from their game and can only cash out their Roblox earned once it hits $1K in value and then they're paid $350.