Helen's Mysterious Castle

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Helen's Mysterious Castle

Post by Leisher »

I'm going through my library figuring out if I want anything during the current sale and realized I had beaten this a bit ago and never wrote anything up.

An RPG made through RPG Maker, and a genuinely good one.

The story is you're Helen, but you don't know that. You wake up with amnesia and start fighting your way through this "castle". It's not so much a castle as a floating island that also has a castle. The story is fine, but a bit odd at times. You can tell the writer isn't a professional, but it's great for an indy.

The big gimmick here is that you don't level up, instead you level up your weapons. You also can only carry 8 items, so you have to be selective about what you take with you. Don't worry, there's an armory that stores all of your stuff, even if you drop it mid-dungeon. It's an interesting gimmick and works. You really need to figure out what works where, and generally, you'll get the proper weapons/items for the areas you're in.

One negative is that the story only progresses at more than one point if you find a secret door. That's dumb. It leads to some random walking around, which is annoying in a linear game. Secret doors are fine, but they shouldn't be necessary to find to move forward in the story...unless you have dialogue pointing that out.

The worst part of the game is the music. You can't disable it.

This was a cool little game that gave me a feeling of nostalgia. Reminded me of the JRPGs from the 90s.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”