God's Basement

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

God's Basement

Post by Leisher »

Walking simulator/horror that has you in "God's Basement" learning about your life and why you're there.

I won't spoil the story as it's moderately decent. However, the puzzles and controls are a bit muddy. Clues are scarce, so most of the short game is spent just figuring out what you need to stare at or whatever to advance the story.

The puzzles range from "this is crazy easy" to "really? no fucking hints, just trial and error?" There's also more than one irritating moment where you can wander with no idea what to do only to discover you had to look at something look enough or even something that's no longer there.

The control scheme issue is that E is the default action and using it for everything, including menus can sometimes lead to mistakes. For example: After getting halfway through the game in about an hour I saved to go to bed. I finally got back to the game today, didn't remember the initial rooms, and thought the game was making me start completely over. I accidentally activated a chapter unlock looking at a menu on a TV that is the first thing you see, which is a bad design decision. The actual screen with the "Load Game" is partially obstructed when you start, so when I noticed that next, I loaded my game. The final cut scene played instead of where I was in the story, so...

If you enjoy these types of games, which are essentially interactive stories, I'd say grab this one when it's a $1 or less. Otherwise, skip it.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”