Oculus Quest

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Cakedaddy

Oculus Quest

Post by Cakedaddy »

Are you looking at the VR humble bundle? Thoughts?
Leisher
Site Admin

Oculus Quest

Post by Leisher »

I just noticed it in my email last night. I'll give it a peek at lunch today and get back to you.

(On a different note, get back to my work email I sent you a few days ago!)
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

Oculus Quest

Post by Cakedaddy »

Got the Quest 2 for my B-Day. Here are things I have noticed.

PROS:
1. Pretty decent graphics upgrade. Things are much more clear, less blurry, etc.
2. Much more comfortable fit. The old one was pretty painful for me to wear for much more than 15 minutes. This new one is lighter and softer around the face. I don't have to crank down the tightness to keep it in place. Looser fit, but stays put. Plus the softer face plate. All that equals more comfort and longer playing times.

CONS:
1. Much shorter charging cable. It's about 1 meter where the old one was like 3. So there's no playing while charging this one without a new cable.
2. The eye separation adjustment. The old one had a slide bar under the front that let you set the distance between the two screens to accommodate you aliens with close set eyes. The new one has one screen, so you can't move them like the old. You have to reach inside and physically grab the two lenses and push them apart/close together. This makes for much more difficult changes and less accuracy because there's like 3 settings where on the old it was analog so could be anything. Facebooks excuse for this change? No one ever knew their eye measurements and probably had the old one set wrong anyways. So who really cares if they are set correctly. Which is fair, because I couldn't really tell a difference when sliding the bar.
3. Smaller batteries means less play time between charges. I've read you can get 2 hours on a charge, but I feel like it will be less. Good thing is, my play sessions never last long enough to test it. So I like giving up the play time to lower the weight because I never played to empty anyways. So, this is really a Pro for me.

I have both of them attached to my facebook/occulus account, so all of my games are available on both. I can even play on both systems at the same time. I can even play the same game on both systems at the same time. However, multi playing is hit and miss. Some games will let you log into the same game with both sets. Your username appears on two people on the server. Other servers don't let you do that. Beat Saber lets us multi on both sets at the same time, but not on the same server. So we can both play against other people at the same time, but we can't play against each other. Would have to attach the second unit to a separate account and buy BS a second time. However, multi Beatsaber isn't that cool, so not worth it. You can barely see the other players, you don't see their blocks, you have no idea how you are doing compared to them, etc. Way off in the distance, you see another avatar swinging sabers, and that's it. Pretty lame. But I digress.

My wife will only play BS, so don't have a lot to say about multi play yet.

Overall, definite improvements between Quest 1 and 2. Definitely worth the $100 less you pay for it. Yep. It's cheaper than the first one was by $100. So that makes selling the old one fun. . . I did buy the upgraded headgear for $50. It makes it somewhat more comfortable by spreading out the contact points on the back of your head. But more importantly, it has a twist dial on the back to adjust tightness. This makes it very easy to pass around as you don't have to futz with velcro straps to make it fit. Well, except the one on the top of your head. So, one strap instead of 3. But then, when passing it around, you can tolerate a weaker fit for the couple of minutes it is your turn. It sits just a bit out of place, but doesn't bother you for your turn. If you don't share the headset, you probably wouldn't miss the upgraded straps. My next purchase will probably be some upgraded face plates. I hear there are even more comfortable ones out there that block more outside light. Both systems suffer from a pretty large gap around your nose. Distracting sometimes while playing, but also allows you to see outside without taking the gear off. So pro/con for the gap.

Fun system. Two thumbs up. My wife is even getting into it. Would always refuse to play. "Stuff like that hurts my eyes" And even for her first attempt, it was very touch and go for the first 2 minutes trying to get her into the game. But once in the game (Beatsaber) it's fun enough that she got into it. Learned how to make the set fit better, and I even found her playing it tonight without me!
Cakedaddy

Oculus Quest

Post by Cakedaddy »

Let me know if you get the current Humble Bundle that includes Bridge Crew.
Leisher
Site Admin

Oculus Quest

Post by Leisher »

I will investigate that today.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Oculus Quest

Post by Leisher »

Bought the whole bundle.