Halo: The Master Chief Collection

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Ya. Obviously not tomorrow night*.

I didn't know if the lack of response was because they didn't have it, or didn't want to play. All loaded and ready to go.

*no idea why not tomorrow night*
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: Ya. Obviously not tomorrow night*.

I didn't know if the lack of response was because they didn't have it, or didn't want to play. All loaded and ready to go.

I'm going to guess Football?
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Cakedaddy wrote: Ya. Obviously not tomorrow night*.

I'm going to guess Football?
A pretty solid guess. OSU plays at 8 p.m.

If they're winning, I won't want to play.
If they're losing, which is what I expect, I won't want to play.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Cake and I beat Halo: CE tonight. That's two games down.

CE was fun, but dated compared to Reach. Reach's story was pretty awesome. In CE they added a cool feature where you can hit tab to see the difference between how the game originally looked and this new remastered edition.

I had forgotten about how The Flood looked and acted. Some pretty awesome fights towards the end.

Halo 2 is up next.

Cake, we'll just hit the Anniversary edition:
Halo 2: Anniversary is a remastered version of Halo 2 and features extra content, high-definition resolution, and remastered audio and graphics.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Halo 2: Anniversary begins tonight at 9 p.m.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Leisher wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:19 am Halo 2: Anniversary begins tonight at 9 p.m.
Is that the one that's on sale for $6 on Steam right now? I'm a little confused by the Halo bundles that are offered.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I just looked it up, and yes, but no idea if you'd be able to join us with it.

Cake and I bought the Master Chief Collection (on sale for $23.99), which is Halo Reach, Halo:CE, Halo 2, Halo 2: AE, Halo 3, and Halo 4 all in one package.

We've already beaten Reach, which had a great story, and Halo:CE.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

hmm.. ok, i might be down for that. I'd imagine i wouldn't need the whole collection if you're playing one of the stand alone games.

I really don't want or need the whole collection because i know i wouldn't play them all and Halo 2 was the best one IMO.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

I'm reading Halo 2 is max 2 player co-op. 4 player co-op isn't implemented until Halo 3.. :(
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Stranger wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:59 am I'm reading Halo 2 is max 2 player co-op. 4 player co-op isn't implemented until Halo 3..
Probably saved you $6 anyway...
Stranger wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:47 am I'd imagine i wouldn't need the whole collection if you're playing one of the stand alone games.
I do not believe that assumption is correct.

The MC Collection is a launcher/lobby. We never actually see any sort of lobby or load screens for the individual games. Point being, if you can't join our lobby in the MCC, then it probably wouldn't let you join us in game. Notice when we're playing it never says what Halo we're playing, just "Playing Halo:MCC".

Reminder to Cake and myself to DL Halo 2:AE prior to 9 pm.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

well crap. ok, have fun
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Sucks you can't join. We didn't even know about the two player limit initially as we were clearly asking other folks to join us.

I will say that if you didn't play Reach, you should. It's also $6 right now and was worth it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Cake and I should be defeating Halo 2 tonight and moving onto 3.

A quick note about Halo 2:
It's a pretty buggy port. One of the levels we could not complete because it crashes constantly during one of the two mission cutscenes. There are also issues here with respawning in piss poor spots thanks to the level design. Also, while Halo 2 and Halo 2:Anniversary Edition are advertised as being separate entities, they're apparently not. This causes the stats to appear in the wrong places.

I have found Halo 2 to be the least compelling story of the three we've played so far. It's fine, and the Covenant stuff is a cool departure from the norm, but it's just a repeat of Halo:CE. Also, the inclusion of the Flood here is pretty lame (Tough enemies, but dumb for the story). Not only was their inclusion only explained in a quick throw away line, but it didn't make much sense.

That negative stuff being said, it's been fun, and it has definitely had some of the toughest fights we've faced in the series so far.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I can't really review the story because we were removed from it so often, or repeating sections of it, because of bugs. It wasn't just a smooth flowing story like the others have been. Fun to play, but the story has been lost on me.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

2 was defeated and ended on a cliff hanger, which shocked Cake. It was easily our worst Halo experience so far, but still fun.

Started 3 and bumped the difficulty up to Heroic for some added challenge. This caused many deaths, but also some really intense and insane firefights. Every enemy takes more damage and hit much harder. Enemy snipers are deadly and can kill you in one shot. Taking cover and allowing your shields time to power back up is far more important. Also weapon selection is more important. For example, shotguns are much better at killing The Flood than machine guns.

I think we might have gotten half way through the game already.

Very cool change, in that, we're no longer two Master Chiefs. Instead I'm MC and he's the Arbiter.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:04 pm Very cool change, in that, we're no longer two Master Chiefs. Instead I'm MC and he's the Arbiter.
Is that like being Luigi to your big brother's Mario?
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:50 pm
Leisher wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:04 pm Very cool change, in that, we're no longer two Master Chiefs. Instead I'm MC and he's the Arbiter.
Is that like being Luigi to your big brother's Mario?
I'd say more like being Bourne to my Bond and then teaming up against the Russians.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

No session this Friday Cake. I'm working from 8 am to 3 am. Scheduled upgrades with a dedicated Dell EMC team and our HA/DR setup. They get scheduled months in advance, so I was just reminded of it this morning by my calendar. 3:30 p.m. start on Friday and then a 6:30 p.m. start on Sunday for the second box. It's not going to be an awesome weekend.

Saturday is out as I'm already supposed to multi Pacify with my kids.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Confirmed. No Halo on Friday.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

And while we're at it...

Let's cancel for the 12th as well. I've got to have an early night that night as I'm heading to Cleveland before the rooster crows.

The 13th is a possible make up date, but I won't know 100% until we're a day or two away.

After this and next weekend, my schedule should be back to normal.