The Surge 2

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

The Surge 2

Post by Leisher »

If you have never played through The Surge, add it to your list. It's a fighting game, except not. Really, really good story and atmosphere. Also, very difficult.

Here's come the sequel, which seems to be a shift in tone.

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

The Surge 2

Post by Leisher »

Beat it today.

The Surge and The Surge 2 are easily in my all time favorites and the most underrated "Souls-like" games on Steam. They are criminally overlooked.

This one puts you in the boots of a plane crash survivor and the world is far more alive than in the original. It's two months after that crash. You're in jail and just waking from a coma. Alarms are going off, so you get up to find your way out and your story begins.

The world is insanely well designed. Seriously, it's really impressive to see how well they designed the interlaced levels/areas. It's also very pretty despite the "everything has gone to shit" setting.

Just like as in the first game, your character's development is entirely up to you. Armor, weapons, implants, and so on are all your choice, which means each person's playthrough will be different.

The fighting is really, really satisfying and critical if you want to upgrade your stuff. That's how you get crafting materials and new schematics. It's also tough. From what I've read, many people quit on these games because they're hard. I just think that learning curve I mentioned for the first game can turn some folks off. Getting through the game feels really good though, and you definitely have moments where you feel weak with others where you feel overpowered. Never get too down or too cocky because something is right around the corner that will boost you up or put you down.

I can't say enough good things about this series.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”