Epic Store

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Epic Store

Post by Leisher »

I wonder if their numbers are dropping? They've gone from indy titles to AAA titles.

Also, the exclusivity deal announcements have completed dried up.

I do Fortnite's overall numbers are dropping.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Epic Store

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I wonder if their numbers are dropping? They've gone from indy titles to AAA titles.

Also, the exclusivity deal announcements have completed dried up.

I do Fortnite's overall numbers are dropping.
Dunno. But, I'll take free games. Wonder if this makes people question ever buying games.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Epic Store

Post by Leisher »

It'd be a fun narrative to start spreading on Twitter: "Why would I ever buy a game again? I get free ones every week on Epic!"

Then watch the devs start to melt down as they beg people not to go that route.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Epic Store

Post by TheCatt »

Handsome Collection.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Epic Store

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Epic Store

Post by Leisher »

I can't wait to never play them.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Epic Store

Post by TheCatt »

Started today.
Cakedaddy

Epic Store

Post by Cakedaddy »

Leisher - Do you not use this because of their business tactics (exclusive bullshit), their spying (they look at everything on your PC via the client), or because of the Chinese government being involved?

What are your thoughts on Discord or Tencent's involvement with many other PC game companies, etc? Didn't bring up Riot because you don't play it anyway, but would Tencent owning it bother you?
Leisher
Site Admin

Epic Store

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: Leisher - Do you not use this because of their business tactics (exclusive bullshit), their spying (they look at everything on your PC via the client), or because of the Chinese government being involved?
It's mainly because of the business tactics and Tim Sweeney's unethical, two sided behavior. Exclusivity was the greatest evil in the history of gaming, according to him, until it benefitted him. Now they not only do exclusivity deals with major publishers, but demand it of indy publishers who want to put their games on the EGS. Fuck him.

The Chinese ownership is shitty, but impossible to avoid. Granted, their ownership stakes vary by company, but until world governments start getting serious about cracking down on all the unethical shit they do...
Leisher
Site Admin

Epic Store

Post by Leisher »

Plus, the EGS is a pile of shit. A company with that many resources should have a much, much better client well over a year into its existence.
Leisher
Site Admin

Epic Store

Post by Leisher »

Epic's finances as presented in court.

A good summary of the two sides:
The trial will determine whether or not it's legal for Apple to lock down app distribution and payment processing on iPhones and iPads. Epic says that because the only two really popular mobile operating systems are iOS and Android, software developers are forced to use them, which means being forced to obey Apple's "oppressive" rules and hand over 30% of their iOS revenue. What Epic wants is for iOS to work more like Windows, where software sales and payment processing can be handled independently, without permission from or payment to the platform owner.

In brief, Apple's response is that the iPhone, iOS, App Store, and in-app payment system are part of one package: A device which competes with other devices, such as Android phones, Xboxes, PCs, and so on. The App Store and its rules create convenience and security for consumers, says Apple, and has helped companies like Epic make a lot of money. Apple points out that Epic has brought in over $700 million on iOS over the past few years.
BL3 exclusivity cost Epic $115M. It also showed that 53% of the people who bought it have zero integrity or concern for their own consumer power.

Epic is a one trick pony and the EGS has been running at a loss since day 1.

Even the Unreal engine licensing fees made double what their second most popular game brought in. Damn...

Fortnite kids crashed the conference call for the Epic v Apple case.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Epic Store

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:15 pm Epic's finances as presented in court.
I did not know Doctor Strange was an accountant.
Leisher
Site Admin

Epic Store

Post by Leisher »

I goofed two of those links. Should be good now.
Leisher
Site Admin

Epic Store

Post by Leisher »

Epic spent $11M in their first 9 months on to giveaway free games.

Apparently, most people are like me and login to get them, but then never play them.

Is this a win for Epic? The store is losing money and they're shilling out more to giveaway games. Sure, it boosts your number of users and people logging in, but it's a bullshit number because they aren't sticking around.

It it a win for the developers? Sure, they're selling copies, but nobody is playing their games. Not sure artists want to create art that is never experienced.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Epic Store

Post by TheCatt »

$11M is less than I would have guessed.

But yeah, I've never played one I've gotten.
Leisher
Site Admin

Epic Store

Post by Leisher »

I honestly do wonder if the revelation that people aren't playing the games is going to sour developers on EGS' tactics. Publishers won't give a shit, but the guys and gals slaving away and putting their everything into a project want people to play it. Giving it away for free would seem to give their art an audience, but in fact, it's actually taking it out of the audience's view. People tuck it away in their library where it's never to be seen again. Meanwhile, if they go shopping on the store and maybe have interest, they'll see the "Owned" icon, move on, and forget it again.

These numbers have to be a kick in the jewels for developers.
Leisher
Site Admin

Epic Store

Post by Leisher »

The next Saints Row will be a 1 year exclusive.

The reaction on Twitter has been: "Who cares?", so I genuinely think this was a smart move by the publisher.

Interesting timing considering their suit against Apple.

Also, just a reminder that Tim Sweeney once said of Microsoft's exclusive deals, that they had no place in the business and would kill competition.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Epic Store

Post by TheCatt »

Free game every day til NYE
GORDON
Site Admin

Epic Store

Post by GORDON »

Bah, who gives a fuck. It's the epic store. Waste of time to log in.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Epic Store

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:11 pm Bah, who gives a fuck. It's the epic store. Waste of time to log in.
FUCK YOU BUDDY