Dying Light

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Dying Light

Post by Leisher »

Picked this up on Steam for 50% off on its third anniversary. Note: I believe my copy had some DLC attached.

Short review: It's fucking awesome. Buy it.

Longer review:
You are a GRE undercover operative dropped into the city of Harran. The city has been overrun by zombies. You're tasked with finding a file and retrieving it. Your drop goes bad and immediately you get hooked up with some runners working out of a tower filled with survivors. You quickly learn that there's a guy named Rais who is fucking over all the survivors.

This game is awesome. Loads of fun, and I played the shit out of it the past two weeks or so. It's kind of like GTA without the cars, silliness, etc. I avoided it forever because they used "parkour" in the description and all I could think about was Mirror's Edge, which I didn't love. Don't let that word stop you as it just describes how you get around without fighting every step of the way. I promise it's really well done.

This is an FPS with a lot of melee fighting, which is really well done (with one exception-I had trouble meleeing the big fellas with the rebar/concrete clubs), but there are guns and a bow too. The melee weapons are pretty varied, although they're all melee, and very satisfying to use. You'll be frustrated when a zombie's body turns and shields it from a one hit blow, but feel great whenever one swing lops off a head. The weapons improve as you improve, but they're simpler to get through than Borderlands weapons. Once you know a how a baton swings versus a sickle versus a pickax, etc. then you'll know what you're getting.

Loads of crafting too. You can modify your weapons to make them hit harder, add effects, last longer, etc.

There's also trading. You'll find traders all over the maps and usually at your safe locations.

Zombies come in different flavors:
Normals - They shamble towards you and/or noise and can speed up slightly when lurching forward, but will slow down to a stop if they miss you.
"Parkour" zombies - Not what they're really called...I think. They are fast, always running, and can climb. They are easy to kill, but a pain in the ass in groups.
Spitters - Humanoid frogs is what they look like to me.
Boomers - Again, not what they're really called. They come at you then pause before exploding. The explosion attracts more zombies. A zombie game staple.
Big fellas - Massive Arnold type zombies that hold a two handed weapon. They like to stick these into small areas. Use your brains to fight them.
? - I won't name this zombie because it's a surprise in the story. Once you see it, you get more.
? - There's another that reminds me of the Witch from L4D, but without the attack... It's another fun surprise.

Those are "daytime zombies". Don't go out at night or you'll be dealing with two other types of zombies. They're motherfuckers. Additionally, all the day time zombies get boosted stats at night as well. Fun! Seriously, night SUCKS (but I mean that in a good way). Night isn't instant death, and you can actually exploit it for experience (night time experienced is doubled), but it's difficult for missions/errands/etc.

There are safe zones, two initially and the rest you unlock, all over where you can wait out the night.

Pro tip: Get to a place you need to be for a night time mission BEFORE night time. Often things get unlocked at sundown, and you can do them before the big bads show up. Also, try to get up high. Then do parkour bullshit all night. You'll gain tons of XP. Just be aware if you're seen, get ready to run for your life.

And you will run. Most areas can be cleaned out. Some will spawn endless zombies. Both areas can hurt or benefit you. There's a mission late in the game where you just want to run. Don't stop or you die. There are areas of the map where you can exploit the ever spawning zombies and get loads of items easily and in one case, hilariously.

There is a huge RPG element where you earn experience in one of four categories which unlocks new abilities. I have beaten the game completing everything except parkour challenges and I maxed out combat skills, survivor skills, had four levels to go with agility skills, and only got 4 levels into legendary skills.

Pro Tip: The air drops are your route to faster leveling for Survivor, and ultimately Legendary. Beat Rais' men to them and turn them in for XP to your Quartermasters. There's a point you'll hit in the story where they stop dropping, so you might want to level up like crazy on them first? Depends on your playstyle. I didn't realize how much XP I got from them (and random encounters) until it was almost too late.

There is a LOT to do in the game. I'm a completionist, and while I saw pretty much everything and went pretty much everywhere, I didn't do everything. There are flags, notes, zombie statues, and recordings to collect. I collected 100% of none of them. I didn't do most parkour challenges. I haven't played on any other difficulties, but I might do that next. I haven't tried the co-op... There are also random encounters all over.

Learn to do a drop kick. It's soooooooo much fun to launch zombies off roofs.

Decent story with one major loop hole (the antizen - trust me, you can't miss this loophole).

This game also has possibly the greatest easter egg in gaming history. When you complete the mission "Broadcast" don't go down the cable leading to the next objective. Go down the other one. Grab the cable just past where you land. Follow the rocks around without dropping. See that flower? Interact with it...

Great game and I look forward to the sequel.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

Dying Light

Post by Cakedaddy »

Didn't know how much DL talk there was going to be and didn't want to keep cluttering up the Steam thread just in case.

I read this tonight:
A co-op session can only be started in Dying Light after having completed the first night in the game. The tutorial lasts for about 45 minutes, and after sleeping in the first safe zone, you can unlock co-op.

Do we want to do this session at the same time Friday night, or do we want to play it on our own before Friday?
Leisher
Site Admin

Dying Light

Post by Leisher »

FYI, the forum has a search feature...

I'm fine doing it alongside you two or on our own.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

Dying Light

Post by Cakedaddy »

Leisher wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:01 pm FYI, the forum has a search feature...
Ya, but by default, I ignore all your posts anyway.
Leisher
Site Admin

Dying Light

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:47 pm
Leisher wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:01 pm FYI, the forum has a search feature...
Ya, but by default, I ignore all your posts anyway.
Obviously since I recommended this game back in 2018.

Now I'm off to cry due to my hurt feelings.
Cakedaddy wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:29 pm Do we want to do this session at the same time Friday night, or do we want to play it on our own before Friday?
What's the verdict here? What would you guys prefer to do? The only thing I will add to it is if we play on our own, stop at the point of co-op.
Stranger

Dying Light

Post by Stranger »

Leisher wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:48 pm Cakedaddy wrote: ↑Tue May 04, 2021 8:29 pm
Do we want to do this session at the same time Friday night, or do we want to play it on our own before Friday?
What's the verdict here? What would you guys prefer to do? The only thing I will add to it is if we play on our own, stop at the point of co-op.
I probably won't be able to even purchase the game until tomorrow night and then i'll have to download it. Depending on the size of download i most likely wont even be able to play it until Friday at the earliest.

So, i'm good with starting it at the same time as you all.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Dying Light

Post by Leisher »

Ok, I will wait.

I don't remember if I played this game with a mouse and keyboard or controller.
Stranger

Dying Light

Post by Stranger »

Purchased and downloaded the game last night. Played the first 5 minutes just to see what it looked like and it looks quite impressive.

Looking forward to playing this tonight.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Cakedaddy

Dying Light

Post by Cakedaddy »

The recording ended up being 26GB. It also didn't record any of your audio, only mine. So I'm talking to myself the whole time. I'm pretty sure I know what to do to record the audio from Discord. I only had it recording the game, so it was ignoring Discord.

Troy, do you know if there is a way to tell it to record at a lower bit rate, or compressed or something? Or do you have to process the video after recording?
Stranger

Dying Light

Post by Stranger »

Great game!

Round 2 tonight? possibly??
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Dying Light

Post by Leisher »

Last night was a ball. I'm online playing Breathedge, but would switch over if you two were up to play.

I'm disappointed Cake's recording didn't listen to us because I was giggling like a school girl every time we were curb stomping some poor zombie.

We should really be streaming.
Cakedaddy

Dying Light

Post by Cakedaddy »

Leisher wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:02 pm We should really be streaming.
Set it up! Make it happen!
Leisher
Site Admin

Dying Light

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy

Dying Light

Post by Cakedaddy »

I had to watch 5 videos to find out where you are supposed to go at the end. All them them kept dying to the timer in the loot room. Finally, I saw one where he opened the door at the end. So, we were at the correct door, but I think we all have to be there, and you have to hit F to open it. So, I would say give yourself at least 5 seconds in that room to do the open door animation. Also, you have to unlock those chests or all you get is ammo. Lastly, all of the players were WAY higher level than us with MUCH better weapons. They all had 200+ health and weapons that would take out those massive dudes pretty quickly.

I think we went in there way too early. But, I'd do it again because it was fun.
Leisher
Site Admin

Dying Light

Post by Leisher »

Fighting an end boss with way underpowered weapons for an hour WAS surprisingly fun.

That's why I was so giddy about that power shot that finally got the killing blow. I completely forgot I had that ability until that single shot, and I got him right in the noggin.

I'm sure our session saved, but I don't know where on my PC yet. To be fair, I didn't bother looking for it, but I will tonight. I want to post it to Twitch.

Also, I am OUT for Friday. I can probably do Saturday though.
Leisher
Site Admin

Dying Light

Post by Leisher »

I am back in for Friday if you guys are available.
Stranger

Dying Light

Post by Stranger »

Leisher wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:51 pm
I am back in for Friday if you guys are available.
Wife and i are going out to dinner with another couple that evening, not sure if they are going to stop over afterwards though. So i could possibly be good to go right at 9 or it may be later, not quite sure yet.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Dying Light

Post by Leisher »

Since Stranger is questionable, and I just found out I have the home to myself tonight, I'm calling off tonight.

I will be available tomorrow though, so if we want to play then I'm game.
Stranger

Dying Light

Post by Stranger »

Leisher wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:08 pm Since Stranger is questionable, and I just found out I have the home to myself tonight, I'm calling off tonight.

I will be available tomorrow though, so if we want to play then I'm game.
I don't know about you, but the best time to game is when i DO have the house to myself. I'm always getting interrupted by my son or wife.. Plus, how are you going to build up your Twitch followers if you're not streaming all the time?? :lol:

I'll be on to play something tonight so if you all change your mind hit me up. If not, maybe Cake can carry me in some League games.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Dying Light

Post by Leisher »

Stranger wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:49 pm Plus, how are you going to build up your Twitch followers if you're not streaming all the time??
I was thinking of playing Ghost 1.0, as I have beaten Breathedge, and would let Twitch ignore me playing that.

I'll be online in Steam in case you are available though.