Fortnite

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Fortnite

Post by Leisher »

Absolutely monopolistic, but so is buying exclusive rights to every game coming out and threatening indy developers to be exclusive to your platform or get no money.

So fuck Epic.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Fortnite

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: but so is buying exclusive rights to every game coming out and threatening indy developers to be exclusive to your platform or get no money.
I feel like there are more competitors there and more choice. Not being on Epic, you can still be on every machine out there. Not being on Apple, 1 Billion devices are excluded.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Fortnite

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: I feel like there are more competitors there and more choice.
Not when you are specifically told you can't take your game elsewhere or when you sign a contract preventing just that.
TheCatt wrote: Not being on Apple, 1 Billion devices are excluded.
Simply not true. Just get your app on the Apple store. It's not hard to do.

If you wanted to open a store and refused to pay the mall's rent, does that give you the right to sue the mall because you can't get in the face of their shoppers?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Fortnite

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Not when you are specifically told you can't take your game elsewhere or when you sign a contract preventing just that.
But you are CHOOSING to enter that contract for MONEY.
Leisher wrote: Simply not true. Just get your app on the Apple store. It's not hard to do.
For 30% of all your revenue. Which is bullshit.
Leisher wrote: If you wanted to open a store and refused to pay the mall's rent, does that give you the right to sue the mall because you can't get in the face of their shoppers?
The mall isn't the only place to get to those 1 billion shoppers. There's a healthy market of shopping centers in most places.
Leisher
Site Admin

Fortnite

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: But you are CHOOSING to enter that contract for MONEY.
Right, guaranteed profit.
TheCatt wrote: For 30% of all your revenue. Which is bullshit.
Yep, but it's their market, which they created. Epic didn't make it, Apple did. You know else Epic sued for similar shit? Microsoft. You know what Epic has worked hard to try and establish? A monopoly. Fuck Epic.
TheCatt wrote: The mall isn't the only place to get to those 1 billion shoppers. There's a healthy market of shopping centers in most places.
And the Apple store isn't the only place to get those shoppers either. Do they not own PCs/Macs/consoles and so on?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Fortnite

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: And the Apple store isn't the only place to get those shoppers either. Do they not own PCs/Macs/consoles and so on?
It's the only way to get to those 1 Billion iOS devices.
Leisher wrote: Yep, but it's their market, which they created
Which is completely irrelevant to law.
Leisher
Site Admin

Fortnite

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: It's the only way to get to those 1 Billion iOS devices.
Let's reduce that to the number of people who only own an iPhone and/or iPad. So we're talking about 200 million? Probably less.

Also, people who play anything more than casual games on iPhones and iPads...I mean, why would you?
TheCatt wrote: Which is completely irrelevant to law.
And I'm saying maybe it shouldn't be?

Mall owners create their own market and get to pick and choose who goes in and at what price.
Cakedaddy

Fortnite

Post by Cakedaddy »

To expand on the mall analogy, it's like the store's rent is based on sales. So the store is meeting the customers in the parking lot so the mall doesn't know it's happening and doesn't get a cut. Meanwhile, the store is getting tons of traffic and exposure. But then head out the back door for the actual sale.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Fortnite

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON
Site Admin

Fortnite

Post by GORDON »

Why don't we just go back to not making any games for Apple computers?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Fortnite

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Why don't we just go back to not making any games for Apple computers?
A lot of companies have done that.

Apple has gone out of their way to make running Windows in a separate instance on a Mac super easy. Mac users can basically just switch back and forth between iOS and Windows. So making a game for Windows is still making a game for Macs.

Granted most Mac users still have no idea how to make this happen, but the techs with Apples I know work this way. I always ask them, "So...why own a Mac then?" I've never heard a great answer. I have heard from one guy that he also dabbles in music, and thus, he was a Mac person from way back. That was acceptable.
Cakedaddy

Fortnite

Post by Cakedaddy »

Last I heard, the lastest MAC OS update made about 80% of the steam games that had mac versions, stop working. As in, the game had a mac version, and it worked. Then you update, and your games stop working. That first sentence didn't seem very clear. And it didn't seem like it was by accident. It just straight up made them incompatible as a known issue (on purpose?).
Leisher
Site Admin

Fortnite

Post by Leisher »

The judge ripped Epic's "theories and tactics" today.

(Are we discussing this case in this thread?)
TheCatt
Site Admin

Fortnite

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Fortnite

Post by Leisher »

Tim Sweeney is such an asshole.

He's fine acting like a victim when he's trying to win a fight, but also has no problem using strong arm tactics when it profits him.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Fortnite

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Fortnite

Post by Leisher »

Nice, but it's really hard not to look at stuff like this and think that the company is simply trying to profit off of the dead person's accomplishments.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Fortnite

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:38 am Nice, but it's really hard not to look at stuff like this and think that the company is simply trying to profit off of the dead person's accomplishments.
People are so cynical.
thibodeaux

Fortnite

Post by thibodeaux »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Fortnite

Post by TheCatt »

omg omg omg omg